The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Any fans? Hard to think of a style of music aesthetically further from Jazz than black metal (maybe holy minimalism like Part or 60s textural stuff like Ligeti or Xenakis)? I dont take it any more serious than a good (or bad) horror flick

Been grooving on this one-man band, gotta love the song title

like most all the classic early 90s Norwegian church burners as well, Varg is a scumbag, but this is a great rock & roll song

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Big metal fan here. I pulled my streaming history recently and discovered that over the last few years I’ve played Ihsahn more than anyone else. I’m a fan of his stuff with Emperor too.

Pretty big fan of Adam Nergal Darski’s work too.

Cool, been meaning to check out Isahn, you have a fav album?

there are like 6 Behemoth songs I like, but Nergal takes the Satanism stuff too seriously for my taste

User Info Menu

Ihsahn can pretty much do no wrong in my ears. That said, I’ve listened to Arktis an awful lot since it was released.

User Info Menu

How about Enslaved?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    How about Enslaved?
    probably my favorite metal band

User Info Menu

Friend of mine toured with the band "Death". Also a master jazz guitarist. Bobby Koeble

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Big metal fan here. I pulled my streaming history recently and discovered that over the last few years I’ve played Ihsahn more than anyone else. I’m a fan of his stuff with Emperor too.

Pretty big fan of Adam Nergal Darski’s work too.

Ihsahn sounds good! I never listened to Black Metal before, only heard of it. My fav metal band is Accept. I know I'm a dinosaur.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    So when you say Extreme Metal, basically it refers to the vocal right? This one, if I imagine the track without it, it sounds less extreme than, say Metallica Kill'Em All era. Would you agree with that?

User Info Menu

There’s always a crossover

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    So when you say Extreme Metal, basically it refers to the vocal right? This one, if I imagine the track without it, it sounds less extreme than, say Metallica Kill'Em All era. Would you agree with that?
    As I understand it Black Metal was at least in part a reaction to Death Metal (which vocals aside was more obviously related to thrash metal), so cleaner guitars, less Dunn-Dunn-durrrr palm muting (more tremolo picking), higher pitched vocals and so on

But the real metal nerds would no doubt laugh at my lack of knowledge/interest in the minutiae of this or that sub genre lol. They are as bad as hipster DJ’s.... or people who say Wes wasn’t a bop guitarist (joke.)

User Info Menu

I prefer my metal with a safety net thanks...

Yes. Enslaved was one of the early 90s Norwegian black metal bands but later added prog influences to their music, that track being a good example. This is what their first album sounded like:

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    As I understand it Black Metal was at least in part a reaction to Death Metal (which vocals aside was more obviously related to thrash metal), so cleaner guitars, less Dunn-Dunn-durrrr palm muting (more tremolo picking), higher pitched vocals and so on

But the real metal nerds would no doubt laugh at my lack of knowledge/interest in the minutiae of this or that sub genre lol. They are as bad as hipster DJ’s.... or people who say Wes wasn’t a bop guitarist (joke.)

aesthetically, Death metal focuses more on rhythm whereas black metal tries to establish a mood - hence all the crossovers with shoegaze and ambient

User Info Menu

c’mon guys get a grip, it’s pretty simple:

Heavy metal genres - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    There’s always a crossover
    Why do you have to do this? lol You know my connection to this.

User Info Menu

Yea, it's the rhythm part in extreme metal that I question. For me the metal genre reached its pinnacle with Pantera. Nobody played tighter than those guys. And the metal for me is all about tight, tight and tighter! Guitar, bass, drums, all together just slamming it, so you feel it in your guts! Catchy tunes are a bonus.

But the guy in Imperial Triumphant said it's a passe concept, the groove theory is dated. What do I know.

User Info Menu

I think that Opeth’s Blackwater Park may be where it all peaked for me.

User Info Menu

Why do you have to do this? lol You know my connection to this.
    And yet you deny knowledge of hipster black metal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    aesthetically, Death metal focuses more on rhythm whereas black metal tries to establish a mood - hence all the crossovers with shoegaze and ambient
    Thanks that actually makes sense

I think i was getting my info from that Stevie T on YouTube

Yea, it's the rhythm part in extreme metal that I question. For me the metal genre reached its pinnacle with Pantera. Nobody played tighter than those guys. And the metal for me is all about tight, tight and tighter! Guitar, bass, drums, all together just slamming it, so you feel it in your guts! Catchy tunes are a bonus.

But the guy in Imperial Triumphant said it's a passe concept, the groove theory is dated. What do I know.
    to me this is Pantera^2, great musicians

User Info Menu

I don't listen much nowadays but I always enjoyed this

User Info Menu

I dont care if it's too old school or not 'extreme', but it still stands as a best metal to me.

Made In Germany, but nowhere as beloved and worshiped as in Mother Russia.

User Info Menu