The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Anyone watch it? Not jazz, but great insight into successful players who can jam on the spot. I noticed that very few have music in front of them. Ben Folds was the guest the other night, pretty awesome. Billy Gibbons obviously got lost on anything outside of I-IV-V on Daryl's tunes and just stopped playing, pretty funny.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-11-2020 at 02:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use to watch 10 or so years ago, don't have the right channel now.

I really like the show.

User Info Menu

I enjoy the show when I can. They have plenty of guitar - which I love - and great singing. Man, that Daryl has a smooth voice. And those musicians are, like you said, top-notch!

It would be so nice if he could get a Jazz musician guest on there and see how the band would respond with their solos and comping.

User Info Menu

I have seen quite a few of them. Very entertaining, and I think corrects the view from the 80's that Daryl Hall was a self-absorbed prick. Well he may or may not be, but he's a GREAT musician, and very warm with his guests. Plus the house and the food...

Todd Rundgren, Sharon Jones, CeeLo Green and Joe Walsh come to mind as good shows. Also John Oates of course!

He tends to elevate whoever he's playing with. I haven't given too much attention to some performers, like CeeLo Green, but he sure was entertaining on Daryl's show.

I saw Daryl and John in concert a few years ago, and it ranks as one of the most surprisingly entertaining shows I have been too. They knocked it out of the park on each and every song. Both he and John can play a good guitar, and the vocals--well still as good as ever. Don't miss a chance to see them when live shows come back.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I use to watch 10 or so years ago, don't have the right channel now.

I really like the show.
    Wow, I had no idea it's been on that long.

User Info Menu

I've watched quite a few and the players are top notch and the 3 or 4 Rundgren tunes were really good and Ceelo No Can Do....can do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Wow, I had no idea it's been on that long.
    I really liked those episodes that were in Daryl's house. This is one of my favorites, Jason Mraz ( I looked it up, 2012):

Episode 55: Jason Mraz :: Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Current Episode

User Info Menu

Enjoyed a couple of the shows - great musicianship instead of just generic "jamming" .

User Info Menu

Love that show! That's my dream: to have an UBER-cool, uncrowded, music room, where everyone can hear each other and play off each other. And just HAVE FUN. Actually, when my drummer bought his house a few years ago, he turned the detached garage into a studio like that... it's nowhere near as big, or as cool, but we do all play in a circle, basically facing each other, and we have a good in-ear monitor system so we don't have to crank everything to get over the drums in the room (he actually put triggers and dampers on his drums, so we hear a sampled drum sound... almost no SPL).

I HATE in-ears, but in this situation, it's better than cranking everything.

One of my favorite episodes was Billy Gibbons. When they do "Thunderbird" everybody gets to stretch out.

User Info Menu

Certainly one of the best-produced live music shows ever, great camera work, and excellent sound. Darryl manages to put everyone at ease and the guests end up generally performing at their best. Darryl's collection of electric and acoustic guitars is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    One of my favorite episodes was Billy Gibbons. When they do "Thunderbird" everybody gets to stretch out.
    Yes! But also, see my post #1. "Billy Gibbons obviously got lost on anything outside of I-IV-V on Daryl's tunes and just stopped playing, pretty funny."

User Info Menu

Daryl's MD is Shane Theriot, guitarist. He's awesome. I mean, really awesome.

They do chart everything out. His podcast RiffRaff is good. He's had both Daryl and John as guests and they talk about the show some, he's also had Sco and Stern and an array of others on the podcast.

Shane's really a serious player. He taught at Atlanta Institute of Music thirty years ago, recommended for the gig by Scott Henderson at age 21. Super good guy. His last album Still Motion is fantastic.Superb player.