The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

was too cOoL

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

big dan hicks fan...he also played drums...had great rhythm...quite a character

rip dh

cheers

User Info Menu

ultra cool Western swing gypsy jazz bebopping groove

User Info Menu

Don't forget the immortal "Lickettes!"

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Interesting interview with Thomas Dolby.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dan's later work was really great and it's a shame that he wasn't as well known as he might have been.

I was able to see him in many venues around the bay area with different supporting musicians who were all solid players.

Too bad about the paucity of quality audio & video clips available on the net - I'm sure there's some great stuff being hoarded somewhere...especially the Bayside Jazz gigs at the current Sweetwater location with Paul Robinson on guitar. I've always hoped that those gigs were recorded on the house audio / video system as they appeared in the bar video monitors and Meyer Sound PA. Maybe they'll surface some day...

Here's a muddy-audio clip in the original Sweetwater from the era when Bayside Jazz played free gigs on Saturday afternoons. It was great to drop in after a hike on Mt Tam to give Dan's "hobby band" a listen.

Here's a clip with the Acoustic Warriors from 1990 with Paul Mehling on guitar:

Sure do miss Dan...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Is that Keaton, or a pre-mustache Chaplin? After watching the balloon sequence, I'm inclined to say Keaton. May well be someone else.

Last edited by citizenk74; 11-26-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: punk2ationz

User Info Menu

^ the great buster keaton

always liked that hicks tune....

cheers

User Info Menu

and the great Maryann Price who went on to play with early Asleep At The Wheel and I love old western music. I remember as a kid I went to Colorado with my parents on vacation around 1958-1960 and went to a bar-b-que out in the hills and was entertained by Sons Of The Pioneers acoustically just walking around the camp playing all those great tunes. At the time I had little idea what I was experiencing...

User Info Menu

dan was raised on c&w music...there's a home recording of him and his dad singing home on the range...from 1953!

cheers

User Info Menu

ps- the keaton in question ^...(co) writ and directed by buster

the balloonatic 1923

cheers