The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

“Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening...”

Yes, I know this is a jazz forum and probably the Eagles are about as popular here as Johnny Smith at a classic rock forum (though he did write Walk, Don’t Run).

I listened to their newly released 2018 California concerts featuring Deacon Frey (Glenn’s son) and Vince Gill, as well as the usual gang. They even had old bassist Randy Meissner there for old times.

It was surprisingly good. The quality of the recording was very high, and the performances were excellent. Vince fits into that group very well. There is even some nice flat picking on some of the songs.

At the beginning one of them said that the songs were more important than who was playing in the band, and I think there is some truth to that.

Anyway, sometimes you want Chateau Briand from the best French restaurant in Paris, sometimes you want Blue Bunny chocolate ice cream right out of the carton. Maybe the Eagles is the latter, but it is still pretty satisfying.

The Eagles-b04ab89b-67c7-4e20-9d09-6f8cd1f0ea66-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always liked this song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I listened to their newly released 2018 California concerts featuring Deacon Frey (Glenn’s son) and Vince Gill, as well as the usual gang. They even had old bassist Randy Meissner there for old times.

It was surprisingly good. The quality of the recording was very high, and the performances were excellent. Vince fits into that group very well. There is even some nice flat picking on some of the songs.
    I had not known Vince Gill did a stint with The Eagles but I'm not at all surprised he did a fine job. Guy's a great and versatile player. (Singer too.) He was in the Pure Prairie League back in the '70s ("Amie," "Fallin' In And Out Of Love" "Let Me Love You Tonight") and that's similar territory (-to the '70s Eagles, anyway). Gill was a pop singer before he was a country singer! Lots of YouTube videos of him tearing it up with Clapton at Crossroads jams. He's had a remarkably durable career.

User Info Menu

I've had a long day...

Actually, I love the Eagles, I love Joe Walsh, but he ruined the Eagles.

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Inspired the ending of the Leboswski vid I offer,

Dusty!

User Info Menu

the og eagles...uk 1958!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've had a long day...

Actually, I love the Eagles, I love Joe Walsh, but he ruined the Eagles.
    Or maybe the Eagles ruined Joe Walsh?

OTOH, joining the Eagles almost killed Joe and some of his new bandmates, but in the end that was what saved Joe.

User Info Menu

Ugh, the Eagles are always my go to for who I least like to listen to. Here is my philosophy: boy vocal bands. Despite the church vocal characteristics of the Beach Boys, they are the epitome of white boy vocal groups and despite Brian Wilson's exquisite arranging, I am not interested in pursuing them (ok- except Help Me Rhonda, God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Surf's Up.etc.). The Beatles were the peak of boy vocal groups- be glad to debate anyone on this. The late 60's to early 70's were an interesting time. Vocal harmony in rock became more important. The Who, The Stones, The Turtles, The Small Faces/The Faces/The Hollies/The Byrds. And then suddenly there was Crosby, Stills, and Nash; and then shortly afterwards Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. I am sorry but I think the Eagles are weak attempts to meld country with CSY&Y. I will take Buck Owens, Don Rich, Merle Haggard, and Chet Atkins any day after the Eagles.
    Dan

User Info Menu

I do not have a strong opinion about the Eagles.

User Info Menu

I lived in Los Angeles when the Eagles were 'the Biggest Thing Ever.'

These guys were like the Pinkertons: inescapable. Tiring.

For me a few good tunes and undeniably big talents expressing
    a main stream, middlebrow cultural thing a that pal of mine at the time
    described as aspiring to "a Dodge Charger and a self-cleaning oven."

How do those ovens do that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    undeniably big talents expressing
    a main stream, middlebrow cultural thing a that pal of mine at the time
    described as aspiring to "a Dodge Charger and a self-cleaning oven."
    Well said, indeed. Nothing "wrong" with that but not exactly the "music of the gods" either. I listened to about a dozen Eagles tunes recently while exercising. Pleasant, smooth, slick, totally professional. But ultimately bland, inane.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed Don Felder's playing, but that's another story.

User Info Menu

I guess the Eagles inspire strong opinions.

They took the country rock mantle from Gram Parsons and ran with it, and were the most successful doing it.

I’m not a huge fan, have never owned any of their albums (think I inherited their first Greatest Hits albums from my college roommate), but I think their songwriting and overall craft holds up well. And the vocals...few groups have done it better.

I remember when the girl I was dating right after high school got the Long Run album. We listened to it a lot in the car on the way to the lake. When she bought some fancy cork-soled high-heeled sandals (Candies, as I recall), I joked “what’re you gonna do with Those Shoes?” Still miss that girl, and wonder where she is these days.

User Info Menu

Funny how things that are closely related differ in aesthetic musical appeal. Gram Parsons +. The Eagles -, IMHO. Can't even put my finger on an explanation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Funny how things that are closely related differ in aesthetic musical appeal. Gram Parsons +. The Eagles -, IMHO. Can't even put my finger on an explanation.
    It’s funny that Gram is seen as “authentic” whereas the Eagles are “manufactured”. Gram was a very influential musician, and very sincere, but he was as contrived as they come. And I mean that in a positive way, like Dylan playing the role of Woody Guthrie reborn. Gram was a prep school southerner who embraced Buck Owens-type country. He wasn’t a hillbilly from the sticks.

Of course Bernie Leadon played with Parsons in the Flying Burrito Brothers and had played with Gene Clark and Chris Hillman. Randy Meissner had played with Poco. There was a lot of cross-pollination in that scene in the late 60’s/early 70’s.

It took Linda Ronstadt to bring all the elements together.

User Info Menu

Back in high school, when the family lived in Donelson, TN (a suburb of Nashville) our next door neighbors were a trio of brothers from Indiana seeking their fame and fortune in Music City. (They found neither but they were all good players, just not a distinctive band; they got a lot of gigs backing up country singers.) Anyway, they played several Eagles songs ("Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Lyin' Eyes", "Tequilla Sunrise") and I got used to them. Not my favorites but they're fine songs.

I think "New Kid In Town" was well written. (I seem to favor Glenn Frey songs over Don Henley ones. I think Glenn also wrote "James Dean", "Already Gone" and whatever portion of "Take It Easy" that Jackson Browne didn't write.)

User Info Menu

flying burrito brothers were light years beyond the eagles!!!...just the players...ex byrds...sneaky pete alone!...no contest

fact that gram worked with keith and made emmylou harris famous is icing on the cake!

no compare

cheers

User Info Menu

Although Don Henley is an A-hole. Was at a corporate event some years back he performed at - story was he wanted to ban cell phones and the organizer’s attorneys had to get involved for him to honor his contract (enjoyed the show though).

Also who else combs youtube ordering covers of their songs taken down?

User Info Menu

there is a UTUBE of a live show..they let Joe take the gloves off...

Joe had to sober up or die..an offer he could not refuse..

to me the band is a rock/country/pop group put in a studio blender on frappe speed for several hours

it makes "smooth jazz" sound like full tilt Jimi..

hey..I like some of the tunes..when other bands play them

User Info Menu

I think one of the issues with bands like The Eagles is that airplay skewed the value of their music. Even if I dug their music at one time I would probably have a hard time hearing it again and again as it was so often played through out the years. It just doesn't push any boundaries for me that make me want to hear it again and again.

User Info Menu

A list of the 10 best country covers of Eagles songs.

10 Best Country Covers of These Awesome Eagles Songs

User Info Menu

Tom Waits and Ol' 55 nowhere to be seen.

User Info Menu

Great song!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    flying burrito brothers were light years beyond the eagles!!!...just the players...ex byrds...sneaky pete alone!...no contest

fact that gram worked with keith and made emmylou harris famous is icing on the cake!

no compare

cheers
    Well I love the Burrito Brothers--they were highly influential, and of course Bernie Leadon got his start there. Sneaky Pete is a genius--one of the best (started out as a stop-motion animator on Gumby, as I'm sure you know).

But, they weren't as talented songwriters as Frey and Henley, the vocals were nowhere as good, and they just weren't polished enough to be successful beyond a cult following. Not to mention their drug use, which sabotaged them to some extent. Maybe Gram could have gone the distance (after leaving the Burritos), if he hadn't gone to Joshua Tree.

As far as Gram working with Keith...well Mick would say that Gram shot heroin with Keith and distracted him from actually playing music, though some think Mick was just worried that Gram would steal Keith away for his own band. Gram did influence the Stones through Keith quite a bit, pushing them in the country/honky-tonk direction, as he did with the Byrds. Gram is more important as an influencer than as a musician in his own right (though his own work holds up pretty well I think).

I think one of the issues with bands like The Eagles is that airplay skewed the value of their music. Even if I dug their music at one time I would probably have a hard time hearing it again and again as it was so often played through out the years. It just doesn't push any boundaries for me that make me want to hear it again and again.
    Yes they were overplayed. Same with Linda Ronstadt, the Who, etc. etc. That's why I stopped listening to Classic Rock a long time ago. It's helpful to listen to it 40 years down the road without hearing it (much) for the last 3 decades. You have to try to listen to a song like Hotel California with fresh ears. Hard to do, but you can't help but appreciate the craft that went into their work.

They do a bang-up live version of Ol' 55 on the above record, with Vince Gill on vocals. I love Tom Waits too, but I know his work more by being covered by other artists.