The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

With Grady Martin on guitar:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also check this out—Grady Martin is playing a 6-string bass, when the tube on his amp gives up the ghost and goes full fuzz tone (at 1:26). They decide to keep it in the mix, and so an iconic sound is born.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Also check this out—Grady Martin is playing a 6-string bass, when the tube on his amp gives up the ghost and goes full fuzz tone (at 1:26). They decide to keep it in the mix, and so an iconic sound is born.

I remember having read the story a little different: that it was a faulty channel in the mixing desk he was plugged into.

User Info Menu

Ah, yes, Marty Robbins. I could probably remember all the words to El Paso and other songs after all these many, many, many years! El Paso was part of a trilogy, there were three songs on the same theme. Faleena's as good as the original.

He was an interesting man, half Indian, terrific songwriter, and a professional racing driver. He kept his friends and married once to his death. One of his backing singers was a soloist in his own right.

User Info Menu

Listen to Kenny Vaughan's take on Grady's playing on the original.

User Info Menu

It's rather a shame that the solo guitar's lead was copied. He does it very well, of course, but there's no room for spontaneity. And anyway it's probably what the audience wants to hear!

Incidentally, I meant to say that Grady's playing on Faleena is even better than El Paso. It never clashes with the vocal and even continues under it. It's a long song too. Beautiful, skilful stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I remember having read the story a little different: that it was a faulty channel in the mixing desk he was plugged into.
    Could be. One of the You Tube commenters mentioned a bad tube, which I think sounds way cooler than a mixing problem.

(File under happy accidents, like Ike Turner’s amp falling out of the trunk and Link Wray poking holes in his amp speaker to emulate the live sound of the song Rumble.)

User Info Menu

Mickey Raphael tells about how Clapton wanted to meet Grady Martin first, before Willie.

Starts about 10:05:

Discovered Mickey's girlfriend was Ali MacGraw, a 'fun fact.'