The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Ran across a quote this morning by Elvin Bishop. He said when he met Paul, Paul was playing more guitar than harp. Then he got serious about the harp and in six months got about as good as he ever got at it. Called him a natural genius. Put me in mind to listen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The quote I saw was tweeted by the Chicago Blues History twitter account. @ChiBluesHistory.

"He )[Paul Butterfield] was playing more guitar than harp when I first met him. But in about six months he became serious about the harp, and he seemed to get about as good as he got in that six months. He was just a natural genius."

User Info Menu

I agree about the harp, and I liked his singing. Still, Michael Bloomfield was the big draw for me, with the two Butterfield albums and his stuff with Bob Dylan. I didn't much like Bloomfield's later stuff.

User Info Menu

The first 2 butterfield records are 2 of my favorite albums of all time.

User Info Menu

We saw him for free back in HS, because a friend of mine's sister was his trumpet player's GF.
    It was a great show, with Elvin Bishop on guitar, and PB wailing on harp.
    Albert King opened for him, and tore the place apart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I agree about the harp, and I liked his singing. Still, Michael Bloomfield was the big draw for me, with the two Butterfield albums and his stuff with Bob Dylan. I didn't much like Bloomfield's later stuff.
    Bloomfield was my big draw there too. Great player.

Here's a version of "Albert's Shuffle" without the horns (which were added later on to the original release.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    We saw him for free back in HS, because a friend of mine's sister was his trumpet player's GF.
    It was a great show, with Elvin Bishop on guitar, and PB wailing on harp.
    Albert King opened for him, and tore the place apart.
    Albert was my first love among the Kings. I picked up his "Travelin' to California" used one day---didn't know anything about it beforehand---it wore a needle out on it. (That was one THICK slab of vinyl.)

User Info Menu

butter was the opposite of late great charlie baty..who started professionally on harmonica, then switched to guitar..he supposedly also took to the change easily & immediately

here's vid of charlie, shortly before his passing, playing forum member -grez- guitar

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Ran across a quote this morning by Elvin Bishop. He said when he met Paul, Paul was playing more guitar than harp. Then he got serious about the harp and in six months got about as good as he ever got at it. Called him a natural genius. Put me in mind to listen.

And I’ve played the harmonica for years and still am stuck at “Bob Dylan lite” level...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    butter was the opposite of late great charlie baty..who started professionally on harmonica, then switched to guitar..he supposedly also took to the change easily & immediately

here's vid of charlie, shortly before his passing, playing forum member -grez- guitar

cheers
    thats beautiful man a lovely fusion of jazz
    and blues
    can you recommend any more of his music
    on guitar please ?

User Info Menu

cool! check this live performance..even in the trad jazz organ trio format he has a rougher blusier tone

cheers