Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Such lists are never definitive but this one includes sound clips and background info on the recordings, so it's worth a listen even if you would make different choices

    The Rolling Stones’ 20 greatest guitar moments, ranked | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    not bad...tho i would have included she's so cold...classic keith mxr analog delay (green box) tone...

    the stones always being a 2 guitar driven band...keith has always said he loves for the two guitars to weave in and out together...brian jones and ronnie were perfect for that...with mick t it was a bit more lead/rhythm

    so many great tunes


    cheers

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    not bad...tho i would have included she's so cold...classic keith mxr analog delay (green box) tone...

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    That’s not a bad list. Agreed with most of the placements. No 1 especially. Might’ve found room for ‘it’s only rock and roll’ but I don’t think Keith is on that one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    keith and bill with the aluminum neck travis bean guitars..big $$$ these days

    cheers

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Good to see the rarely-mentioned Monkey Man. Love the playing in that.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Couple things from the list that I hadn't heard in a while. Always loved "Sway."

    About "Sticky Fingers". My older brother talked someone at the local record store into giving him the cardboard display of the cover. (The whole thing was Mick, with the cover placed where it would be.) It was at least 4 feet tall, maybe 5.



    Always loved the guitar interplay on this. Played this on the jukebox in a 'dairy bar' I went to after little league games. (I was 9.)


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Really? jazz guitar?

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    That’s not a bad list. Agreed with most of the placements. No 1 especially. Might’ve found room for ‘it’s only rock and roll’ but I don’t think Keith is on that one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good one too. Apparently the backing track was recorded as a jam at Ronnie Woods house with the Faces playing the main track and David Bowie singing backup for Jagger. They liked the track so much they kept it, and Keef did some overdubs for the final track.

    It is a really raunchy guitar sound, and one of the reasons they went with Ronnie to replace Mick Taylor, who was not playing with the band at that time.

    It's Only Rock 'n Roll - Wikipedia

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Really? jazz guitar?
    No, but "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is pretty close.

    And I too love - "Sway".

    Mick Taylor would seem to be the difference maker, yes?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    not bad...tho i would have included she's so cold...classic keith mxr analog delay (green box) tone...

    the stones always being a 2 guitar driven band...keith has always said he loves for the two guitars to weave in and out together...brian jones and ronnie were perfect for that...with mick t it was a bit more lead/rhythm

    so many great tunes


    cheers
    Not to be controversial, but Stones with Ron Wood weaving thing makes the band sound pretty flat, mediocre even. When Keith was just a rhythm gtr focused on rhythm and Mick playing amazing leads that was a great band. Lets just admit it, Ron Wood is there because he fits image wise.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    - 1. ;o)

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    No, but "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is pretty close.

    And I too love - "Sway".

    Mick Taylor would seem to be the difference maker, yes?
    Absolutely

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Not to be controversial, but Stones with Ron Wood weaving thing makes the band sound pretty flat, mediocre even. When Keith was just a rhythm gtr focused on rhythm and Mick playing amazing leads that was a great band. Lets just admit it, Ron Wood is there because he fits image wise.
    Absolutely

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    In defence of Ron:

    1. Mick Taylor was a hard act to follow

    2. Ron was the perfect foil for Rod Stewart in The Faces, always complementing with tasteful lines, simple solos (Maggie May - wonderful solo - just perfect for the song) and good ensemble playing. He was never a lead guitarist.

    3. I enjoy - sometimes - not being able to discern if he or Keith is playing, as in Love Is Strong. A form of ancient weaving is how Keith somewhat fancifully describes it. It's not all about Rhythm and Lead.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Where's the intro to "Rocks off?"

    That's like the best opening to a rock album in history.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    In defence of Ron:

    1. Mick Taylor was a hard act to follow

    2. Ron was the perfect foil for Rod Stewart in The Faces, always complementing with tasteful lines, simple solos (Maggie May - wonderful solo - just perfect for the song) and good ensemble playing. He was never a lead guitarist.

    3. I enjoy - sometimes - not being able to discern if he or Keith is playing, as in Love Is Strong. A form of ancient weaving is how Keith somewhat fancifully describes it. It's not all about Rhythm and Lead.
    Agreed, Rob. And for starters, Mick Taylor left the Stones. (I don't blame him: they wouldn't give him any songwriting credit, something they later denied Ronnie Wood, though in that case they finally came to their senses.) The band had to move on.

    Mick (Jagger) and Keith had known Ronnie a long time. (Ronnie plays on "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" even though he wasn't in the band at the time. The "Scarlet" track---the subject of another thread hereabouts--was recorded at Ronnie's.) Ronnie fits the image and also, apparently, gets along with Jagger and Richards. (Keith and Mick Taylor did not get along. It may be that Keith resented Mick being a better soloist, I don't know.) And Ronnie has held down that spot for decades longer than either Brian or Mick Taylor did. Hell, he's been a Stone longer than Bill Wyman was.

    Mick Taylor was only with them for 5 years. Admittedly, that may have been the best five-year-run in the band's history, but they have done a lot better without him than he has done without them. Jagger and Richards were in their creative primes then too.

    And the Stones were never a guitar-solo intensive band. The rhythm parts of their songs are often the best: "Happy", "Beast Of Burden", "Start Me Up" (-does that even have a solo?), "Brown Sugar" (sax solo, yes, but it's the intro that kills), "Shattered", "Before They Make Me Run", "Rocks Off," "Sweet Virginia"...

    As for Ronnie never being a lead guitarist, I get your point, but I think the Stones were never really a lead-guitar band. You don't go to see the Stones to hear killer solos. That was not their thing. At their best, the rhythm guitar parts lead the way. I'm sure you are familiar with the old quotes from Bill Wyman ("Our band does not follow the drummer, it follows the rhythm guitarist") and Charlie Watts ("I play the drums for Keith and Mick. I don't play them for me.") But others may not be, so...

    I think Ronnie's first album with the band ("Some Girls") was one of their best. The "weaving" on "Beast Of Burden" is much more Stones-y than the long (wonderful) interlude on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" where Mick Taylor shines. " (And THAT song kills from the beginning with Keith's rhythm part in open G.)





  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Where's the intro to "Rocks off?"

    That's like the best opening to a rock album in history.
    Yeah, that's my favorite. And I also love the line in that song, "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me."

    That song and "Happy" (same album) are favorite examples of how when Keith gets the rhythm cranked up at the beginning, it's like the main work of the song is already done. ("Start Me Up" is another one as is "Little T&A") "Before They Make Me Run." I could go on.... ;o)




  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Forgive me, I can't help it:


  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Forgive me, I can't help it:
    That's what I'm talking about! "Tumblin' Dice," "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'", "Honky Tonk Women," "Brown Sugar", "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
    Fun stuff.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Forgive me, I can't help it:

    Excellent! Plus, I could tell you were having fun doing it.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    stones..mxr phaser guitar era...on st marks place, nyc...with sonny rollins takin the solo



    cheers

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    right on rob...people don't realize how much the g tuning is essential to stones tunes...all those bar band covers in reg tuning were always so far off

    keith (as well as many others) got the g tuning idea from the great ry cooder...cooder jammed with them early on...jammin with edward and performance sessions

    of course keith dropped the low d and made it a 5 string! keiths famous quip being- "ah, the five string guitar: it's five strings, three notes, two hands and one asshole."

    cheers

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    I loved "Jamming with Edward" - oh, many many years ago. And Ry Cooder and Mick Jagger together = magic!


  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    In defense of Ron Wood: I saw The Faces a couple of times in the 1970-1972 period. The last time the opening act was Deep Purple. I went to see The Faces. My friends were there to see Deep Purple, who were on their Machine Head tour.

    I was completely blown away by Deep Purple. I remember thinking, "How are The Faces possibly going to follow that?" Well, my friends ended up being blown away by The Faces. They went in with low expectations and got a big surprise.

    Ron Wood is certainly no Richie Blackmoore, but I have a vague, hazy memory of Wood standing on stage alone playing a slide guitar solo that held a few thousand drugged up hippies absolutely mesmerized. Wood is better than he gets credit for.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    ronnie wood at 19...with john lord (pre-deep purple) on hammond



    ronnie played some great rock guitar with the faces and on rods solo lp's..and on his own solo lps..he and keith are the perfect weave...

    he was also a player in the george harrison/eric clapton/ patti "layla" boyd soap opera! haha-



    was always big ronnie fan!

    cheers

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I get that Stones not the lead guitar band, but that 'weave' thing is just not working out for me sorry. I think it makes Keith sound kind of lazy, not the rhythm machine he was in pre-Ron era. That's my perception. I just can't dig sloppiness.

    And I should say the albums are ok, it's the live shows I have a problem with. There is really no edge, except of course Mick Jagger. Mick is doing all the work basically. Also the absence of Bill Wyman made it even worse! He had such a presence sonically. So all we have now is nostalgia and Mick

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I get that Stones not the lead guitar band, but that 'weave' thing is just not working out for me sorry. I think it makes Keith sound kind of lazy, not the rhythm machine he was in pre-Ron era. That's my perception. I just can't dig sloppiness.

    And I should say the albums are ok, it's the live shows I have a problem with. There is really no edge, except of course Mick Jagger. Mick is doing all the work basically. Also the absence of Bill Wyman made it even worse! He had such a presence sonically. So all we have now is nostalgia and Mick
    They were my #1 favorite band back in the day. But since the excellent Some Girls (1978), they have been largely coasting, with the exception of a few excellent songs and Mick's energy. That was a long time ago! I thought their last album, Blue and Lonesome (2016) was dreadful. To be fair, Mick, Keith and Charlie are now 77, 77 and 79.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    a favored stones track guitar solo...not played by any member of the stones!

    harvey the snake mandels compressed wah hot stuff solo & riffs

    mandel was one of the many guitarists auditioned by the stones when taylor quit...(along with jeff beck. wayne perkins and chris spedding)



    cheers

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    I got that album when it came out, but it has never been a favourite. Nice solo, though.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I got that album when it came out, but it has never been a favourite. Nice solo, though.
    hard to beat keith on memory motel tho!! hah

    cheers

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    They were my #1 favorite band back in the day. But since the excellent Some Girls (1978), they have been largely coasting, with the exception of a few excellent songs and Mick's energy. That was a long time ago! I thought their last album, Blue and Lonesome (2016) was dreadful. To be fair, Mick, Keith and Charlie are now 77, 77 and 79.
    I enjoyed "Blue And Lonesome" more than you did, obviously. Here's "Ride 'Em On Down." Think it kicks pretty hard.



    Mick's energy is inhuman. I think he's a better soloist on the harp than Keith is on the guitar nowadays. (I love Keith's rhythm playing and fills but Mick still has a fire in him that Keith, well, not so much.)

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I enjoyed "Blue And Lonesome" more than you did, obviously. Here's "Ride 'Em On Down." Think it kicks pretty hard.



    Mick's energy is inhuman. I think he's a better soloist on the harp than Keith is on the guitar nowadays. (I love Keith's rhythm playing and fills but Mick still has a fire in him that Keith, well, not so much.)
    In his autobiography Keith said something along the lines of mick is only at his most honest when he’s playing the harp.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I enjoyed "Blue And Lonesome" more than you did, obviously. Here's "Ride 'Em On Down." Think it kicks pretty hard.



    Mick's energy is inhuman. I think he's a better soloist on the harp than Keith is on the guitar nowadays. (I love Keith's rhythm playing and fills but Mick still has a fire in him that Keith, well, not so much.)
    Yes, I agree Mick carried that album. But they needed more. How much harmonica can you take from a supposedly guitar-centric band?

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Yes, I agree Mick carried that album. But they needed more. How much harmonica can you take from a supposedly guitar-centric band?
    That's a fair question. I think Mick just has a lot more "gas in the car" than Keith and Ronnie these days.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    I've seen a few mentions of "Black and Blue" above. Never among my favorite Stones records but I love "Hand Of Fate."


  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Just found out today that it's Jimmy Page playing the solo on this one. (Where have I been?)


  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Just found out today that it's Jimmy Page playing the solo on this one. (Where have I been?)

    Where have you been? Not focusing on minutia! Good for you.
    I see this was 1986!!! Even back then, they had to call on a guitar expert who could play! Keith was only 43 and Ronnie Wood 39. They were a great band in their day, but that's sad.

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Phil, they were perfectly capable of soloing over that piece. They just thought it would be fun to have their friend JP do the honours. His solo is nothing special, certainly nothing the lads weren't capable of doing themselves. Nothing sad about it at all.

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    good lord...50+ years of "its only rock & roll"

    the soundtrack to many lives...I can not even imagine how much they have traveled .. how many concerts..

    Jagger has kept himself in great shape..

    Keith gets alot of bad press about his habits ..but I loved when he did his own band XPensive Winos...I then realized Keith IS the Rolling Stones

    Ron Woods is a much better artist than a guitarist..

    say what we will...they are still working..

    Ladies and Gentlemen,,,,,,,The Rolling Stones

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    The stones are perhaps in a category of very rare rock band. That is bands who are driven by the rhythm guitar and not the drums. The bands I’m thinking of are the who, Ac/dc and Metallica. It’s possible the stones are in this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Phil, they were perfectly capable of soloing over that piece. They just thought it would be fun to have their friend JP do the honours. His solo is nothing special, certainly nothing the lads weren't capable of doing themselves. Nothing sad about it at all.
    Hi Rob,
    Maybe. In any event, the solo is buried in the mix so it's hard to tell. The album, rightly considered lackluster, came during the time Mick and Keith (who didn't do much) weren't getting along.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Where have you been? Not focusing on minutia! Good for you.
    I see this was 1986!!! Even back then, they had to call on a guitar expert who could play! Keith was only 43 and Ronnie Wood 39. They were a great band in their day, but that's sad.
    Here's a bit of Jimmy Page about being called by Ronnie and Keith to jam and record some solos.



    Keith and Ronnie played solos on Stones records AFTER that, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Other than that they liked jamming with Jimmy Page when the chance arose. (And he with them, apparently.) Page is certainly a better soloist than Keith and Ronnie.