The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

ronnie wood at 19...with john lord (pre-deep purple) on hammond

ronnie played some great rock guitar with the faces and on rods solo lp's..and on his own solo lps..he and keith are the perfect weave...

he was also a player in the george harrison/eric clapton/ patti "layla" boyd soap opera! haha-

was always big ronnie fan!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I get that Stones not the lead guitar band, but that 'weave' thing is just not working out for me sorry. I think it makes Keith sound kind of lazy, not the rhythm machine he was in pre-Ron era. That's my perception. I just can't dig sloppiness.

And I should say the albums are ok, it's the live shows I have a problem with. There is really no edge, except of course Mick Jagger. Mick is doing all the work basically. Also the absence of Bill Wyman made it even worse! He had such a presence sonically. So all we have now is nostalgia and Mick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I get that Stones not the lead guitar band, but that 'weave' thing is just not working out for me sorry. I think it makes Keith sound kind of lazy, not the rhythm machine he was in pre-Ron era. That's my perception. I just can't dig sloppiness.

And I should say the albums are ok, it's the live shows I have a problem with. There is really no edge, except of course Mick Jagger. Mick is doing all the work basically. Also the absence of Bill Wyman made it even worse! He had such a presence sonically. So all we have now is nostalgia and Mick
    They were my #1 favorite band back in the day. But since the excellent Some Girls (1978), they have been largely coasting, with the exception of a few excellent songs and Mick's energy. That was a long time ago! I thought their last album, Blue and Lonesome (2016) was dreadful. To be fair, Mick, Keith and Charlie are now 77, 77 and 79.

User Info Menu

a favored stones track guitar solo...not played by any member of the stones!

harvey the snake mandels compressed wah hot stuff solo & riffs

mandel was one of the many guitarists auditioned by the stones when taylor quit...(along with jeff beck. wayne perkins and chris spedding)

cheers

User Info Menu

I got that album when it came out, but it has never been a favourite. Nice solo, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I got that album when it came out, but it has never been a favourite. Nice solo, though.
    hard to beat keith on memory motel tho!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    They were my #1 favorite band back in the day. But since the excellent Some Girls (1978), they have been largely coasting, with the exception of a few excellent songs and Mick's energy. That was a long time ago! I thought their last album, Blue and Lonesome (2016) was dreadful. To be fair, Mick, Keith and Charlie are now 77, 77 and 79.
    I enjoyed "Blue And Lonesome" more than you did, obviously. Here's "Ride 'Em On Down." Think it kicks pretty hard.

Mick's energy is inhuman. I think he's a better soloist on the harp than Keith is on the guitar nowadays. (I love Keith's rhythm playing and fills but Mick still has a fire in him that Keith, well, not so much.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I enjoyed "Blue And Lonesome" more than you did, obviously. Here's "Ride 'Em On Down." Think it kicks pretty hard.

Mick's energy is inhuman. I think he's a better soloist on the harp than Keith is on the guitar nowadays. (I love Keith's rhythm playing and fills but Mick still has a fire in him that Keith, well, not so much.)
    In his autobiography Keith said something along the lines of mick is only at his most honest when he’s playing the harp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree Mick carried that album. But they needed more. How much harmonica can you take from a supposedly guitar-centric band?

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree Mick carried that album. But they needed more. How much harmonica can you take from a supposedly guitar-centric band?
    That's a fair question. I think Mick just has a lot more "gas in the car" than Keith and Ronnie these days.

User Info Menu

I've seen a few mentions of "Black and Blue" above. Never among my favorite Stones records but I love "Hand Of Fate."

User Info Menu

Just found out today that it's Jimmy Page playing the solo on this one. (Where have I been?)

User Info Menu

Just found out today that it's Jimmy Page playing the solo on this one. (Where have I been?)

Where have you been? Not focusing on minutia! Good for you.
    I see this was 1986!!! Even back then, they had to call on a guitar expert who could play! Keith was only 43 and Ronnie Wood 39. They were a great band in their day, but that's sad.

User Info Menu

Phil, they were perfectly capable of soloing over that piece. They just thought it would be fun to have their friend JP do the honours. His solo is nothing special, certainly nothing the lads weren't capable of doing themselves. Nothing sad about it at all.

User Info Menu

good lord...50+ years of "its only rock & roll"

the soundtrack to many lives...I can not even imagine how much they have traveled .. how many concerts..

Jagger has kept himself in great shape..

Keith gets alot of bad press about his habits ..but I loved when he did his own band XPensive Winos...I then realized Keith IS the Rolling Stones

Ron Woods is a much better artist than a guitarist..

say what we will...they are still working..

Ladies and Gentlemen,,,,,,,The Rolling Stones

User Info Menu

The stones are perhaps in a category of very rare rock band. That is bands who are driven by the rhythm guitar and not the drums. The bands I’m thinking of are the who, Ac/dc and Metallica. It’s possible the stones are in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Phil, they were perfectly capable of soloing over that piece. They just thought it would be fun to have their friend JP do the honours. His solo is nothing special, certainly nothing the lads weren't capable of doing themselves. Nothing sad about it at all.
    Hi Rob,
    Maybe. In any event, the solo is buried in the mix so it's hard to tell. The album, rightly considered lackluster, came during the time Mick and Keith (who didn't do much) weren't getting along.

User Info Menu

Where have you been? Not focusing on minutia! Good for you.
    I see this was 1986!!! Even back then, they had to call on a guitar expert who could play! Keith was only 43 and Ronnie Wood 39. They were a great band in their day, but that's sad.
    Here's a bit of Jimmy Page about being called by Ronnie and Keith to jam and record some solos.

Keith and Ronnie played solos on Stones records AFTER that, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Other than that they liked jamming with Jimmy Page when the chance arose. (And he with them, apparently.) Page is certainly a better soloist than Keith and Ronnie.