The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello!

Before I make my own investigation on the net, I want to ask you here about jazz double bass amps (or double bass amps for jazz). Yes, this is a guitar forum, but I think a few of You has some experiences about bass amps, or could ask a bassist friend. And it would be very nice of You if You could help us. Our bassist wants to buy a new amp, in the 300-350 usd price range, and he thought about a 60-80W thing. Do any fo You know any good jazz double bass amp in this price range? What are Your suggestions?

Thanks,

MrBlues

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Hello!

Before I make my own investigation on the net, I want to ask you here about jazz double bass amps (or double bass amps for jazz). Yes, this is a guitar forum, but I think a few of You has some experiences about bass amps, or could ask a bassist friend. And it would be very nice of You if You could help us. Our bassist wants to buy a new amp, in the 300-350 usd price range, and he thought about a 60-80W thing. Do any fo You know any good jazz double bass amp in this price range? What are Your suggestions?

Thanks,

MrBlues
    I will ask our bassist Jon. For awhile he used Fishman ProEq2 into a Bose L1 soundsystem. If you’re using a soundsystem like this, that would be a good option.

He uses a K&K under saddle pickup. This setup provides excellent sound, especially through the Bose (our keyboardist and singer use it, but I use a regular guitar amp).

More recently he acquired a very lightweight amp that he plugs into. Sorry I don’t know the make off the top of my head. I think he did this mainly so he could control the sound more easily and adjust it on the fly, not for tone reasons.

I have a Fender Rumble 100, which is loud, cheap and super-lightweight. It works great for electric bass, and I think would work for acoustic, though I haven’t tried it myself.

User Info Menu

IME 70 Watts is howling loud for guitar but simply not enough for most DB gigs.

If your bassist wants to scout used amps you will find many in that range with substantially more power. For example, Guitar Denter is hanging some used MarkBass heads for under $300 which have a toneful reputation at 250W.

Your player might want to lurk around the DB board on TalkBass.com for detailed commentary. Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

I’ve just bought a tv electronics BAM200 amp (200w, 3 band eq, di via XLR to house system, weighs 3lb and it fits in your pocket) and paired it with a TOOB Metro 6.5”BG speaker (4.4lbs). More than happy with the results and delighted with the size/weight angle. Total cost around 400 euros inclusive of tax (say 333 euros plus tax) and shipping (TOOB is in Finland but will deliver worldwide).