The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Here's a guy I just discovered today . . . natural sense of musicality . . . born to play. I hope you enjoy! Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been hearing him for awhile. He's got a lot going on. Here he is at a small joint in Tupleo, MS---Elvis' hometown and where some of my relatives live.

User Info Menu

Man has the blues. It's in him, and it's got to come out. HT: JLH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Here's a guy I just discovered today . . . natural sense of musicality . . . born to play. I hope you enjoy! Good playing . . . Marinero

Yeah, Kingfish is great. Got him in heavy rotation on my streaming device thingy.

John

User Info Menu

I never worry about the blues dying. But it’s lovely to see energy like this being breathed into it. Thank you for posting this - I hadn’t heard of him before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Man has the blues. It's in him, and it's got to come out. HT: JLH.
    Boogie Chillen

User Info Menu

He's smooth. Reminds me of Peter Green.
    Last gig I had was a 3 piece blues band.

User Info Menu

I've been checking him out for a while. He's good. I hope he can get the weight under some control.

User Info Menu

This guy is amazing. TIG isn't exactly my favourite tune (due in no small part to playing it badly in many bands lol) but he adds a whole new lick of paint to it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I usually don't try to kill joy threads, where people find joy in music.

But gotta ask here .. Serious question

What exactly is Kingfish's contribution here that improves on this? (Other than the occasional altered lick)
    Improvement over BB is both impossible and beside the point. Blues (when done right) is a living form that is about personal expression and interpretation. If someone manages to play a version of a song that allows a listener to perceive that player's distinct musical personality and/or the message and emotions of the song, then the player has succeeded. However, if you don't like that version and think only BB's version is worthy, then nothing is stopping you from listening to BB's version(s).

Also, there is so much "blues" that is petformed by people wearing Blues Brothers costumes, pretending to be something they're not, and delivering words they plainly don't understand in accents that are not their own. It's refreshing to find a younger person just being himself without a whole lot of pretending, and incorporating his generation's R&B textures into songs that have become parody through imitation and overuse.

John

User Info Menu

for me ..learning the musical history of not only the players but the genre itself gives a more robust understanding and respect to the music and the musicians that
    perform it.

The blues evolution should be realized by those that wish to play it..it is integrated in almost every bit of american music of all genres

Almost everyone that begins to play guitar finds those magical licks have a powerful feel..and many if not all professional musicians pay tribute to the
    early pioneers who may have known it was an oral tradition born in pain that gave us this "gift" of expression...

a three note lick from Albert King can say more than a hundred shredding players playing "the blues in A"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I hope he can get the weight under some control.
    He's dropped about 100 pounds over the last two years. He knows he needs to get it under control and posts about it on his Instagram account.

User Info Menu

There's a lot of good young musicians coming up across a variety of blues styles. Kingfish. Jontavious Willis. King Solomon Hicks. The list goes on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I usually don't try to kill joy threads, where people find joy in music.

But gotta ask here .. Serious question

What exactly is Kingfish's contribution here that improves on this? (Other than the occasional altered lick)

Hi, L,
    Many musicians have "signature songs." No musician owns a song. Otherwise, why play "famous" standards from the past? Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, L,
    Many musicians have "signature songs." No musician owns a song. Otherwise, why play "famous" standards from the past? Play live . . . Marinero
    The song isn't my point.

My question is what is his contribution to what BB and later Gary did that makes him great? To my ears its just noodling with the occasional altered lick thrown in as a pretense to originality and cutting edge. I just don't feel any pain in his performance

That is my issue with the blues in 2020. There was this great music based of the hardship of days gone past that captured the spirit of the times.

Punk did something similar for the hopelessness of 1977

Doesn't really seem like there is a community to be found in struggle these days. Whether it is because no one is able to capture the hardship of the year that is 2020* in music and lyrics .. or because the spirit of times just is "If you struggle then you only have yourself to blame, you weak piece of shit"

*Tho is 2020 really that bad? .. I mean compared to some of the years before 1945?

User Info Menu

I like him a lot. There's a lot of stuff in his playing I hear, and not all of it comes from the blues directly...but he doesn't hide it and don a "musical costume," he lets it bubble through.

Eric Gales has that quality too.

User Info Menu

"I just don't feel any pain in his performance" Lobomov

Hi, L,
    You don't need pain . . . you need musicianship and creativity. I think the "starving/tortured artist" concept is a cliche. Brilliant artists in all genres like Heifitz, Rubenstein, Segovia, Casals, Wagner(Classical Music), Thomas Mann, Tolstoy; Hemingway, TS Eliot(literature); Wynton Marsalis, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Nat Cole(Jazz); Chagall, Picasso, Renoir(Art), etc. defy this misconception. And, although the Blues and Jazz has had a lion-share of personal tragedies, it was their native intelligence and creativity that allowed them to bloom in these artforms, not their environment. Also, Jazz and Blues were considered a lowly art form ,at one time, and drew many of its artists from the lower income/improvished communities. However, again, it was their musicianship, intelligence, and creativity(genetic) that ruled the day. Some food for thought.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Yeah Kingfish, keeping the blues alive.

User Info Menu

Don't know if this is true but, if so, Kingfish hasn't done badly for himself.
    Play live . . . Marinero

Christone Ingram Net Worth • Net Worth List

www.networthlist.org › christone-ingram-net-worth-26...

User Info Menu

I can understand the argument being made here. There is something about that gut-wrenching place that many of the original Blues greats came from, and how they pour it into each note. I am moved deeply by that type of blues as well. But, I can still appreciate musicans who play these same songs well, yet lack that depth of pain that for me, makes the blues so special.

I guess it comes down to what a person is looking for in blues song. Can you be happy with some nice guitar tone, a good rhythm section, and some tasty playing, or do you need to get that spriritual healing that the old bluesmen delivered?

Depending on my mood I can do both. At least Christone Kingfish is an honest artist. Please let me know when you can find another BB King or Muddy Waters and I will buy their songs right away!

User Info Menu

Blues is the truth, happy or sad.

--BB King

User Info Menu

"There is something about that gut-wrenching place that many of the original Blues greats came from, and how they pour it into each note. I am moved deeply by that type of blues as well. But, I can still appreciate musicans who play these same songs well, yet lack that depth of pain . . . " AlsoRan

Hi, A,
    For the sake of a musical argument, can a listener perceive or quantify "pain" in a performance when listening in a blindfold test . . . especially if one doesn't know the performer? If so, how?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

chune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Please let me know when you can find another BB King or Muddy Waters and I will buy their songs right away!
    they out there but get no record deals or notoriety unless they doing rock/blues, shredding, high-octane modern/contemporary. Take Tim Lerch for instance, he can and did play some very authentic Chicago jump blues and there’s plenty others in clubs that are too authentic for the masses of modern sound$

now I hope this is ok with Tim and one of my favorite Jimmy Rodgers tunes

Last edited by BFrench; 11-27-2020 at 06:25 PM.

User Info Menu

then there's the gone and great Sam Myers and Anson...now Tim, Sam and Anson that's some blues, they knew how to let it breath