Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any players that use acoustic archtops for music other than jazz? I'm interested to hear them in other styles/settings - blues, folk, country etc. I know of a few early blues players that used them such as Mississippi Fred McDowell, and of course Maybelle Carter's L-5 in a more folky country style. Any suggestions on players or links to YT videos I could check out?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am always interested and impressed at the musicality and inventiveness of David Rawlings:

Ah yes of course, how could I forget Dave Rawlings, great player!

User Info Menu

Howard Emerson uses a 20s L5 (among several other guitars)

If you skip ahead to 3:40, you can see it in action. Some other later Mike Bloomfield acoustic stuff is supposedly archtops, but I don't think there's anything definitive as to which songs.

John.

User Info Menu

I heard a young country/folk singer who was sporting a non-cutaway full arch top recently. She was playing with Molly Tuttle, but wasn't Molly Tuttle. Hopefully that gives you a sense of the kind of music. Wish I could remember her name. She was very good.

User Info Menu

Dave Rawlings is a monster. Watch what he does with the capo about halfway through this song.

Devil Makes Three—met them at a concert a few years ago at the merch table. They were extremely nice, and we chatted about guitars for a good 15 minutes. I think both the guys have vintage Epis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I heard a young country/folk singer who was sporting a non-cutaway full arch top recently. She was playing with Molly Tuttle, but wasn't Molly Tuttle. Hopefully that gives you a sense of the kind of music. Wish I could remember her name. She was very good.
    Possibly Courtney Hartman?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Possibly Courtney Hartman?

Yes. That was her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Pretty sure Buddy Guy played a cheap archtop for Muddy Waters on the all-acoustic 60's album 'Muddy Waters Folk Singer.'

Lost my copy and I can't find the cover art to prove it. Great album, with Willie Dixon, too.

Thanks for all the replies, will check all these out - great stuff

Pretty sure Buddy Guy played a cheap archtop for Muddy Waters on the all-acoustic 60's album 'Muddy Waters Folk Singer.'

Lost my copy and I can't find the cover art to prove it. Great album, with Willie Dixon, too.
    ah yes I have that album, one of my favourite acoustic blues albums of all time. Buddy also played a Harmomy (I think) Archtop on his own acoustic album Blues Singer. It was this album that first got me into Archtops as I love his sound on it. Here’s a video from the recordings:

User Info Menu

Bluesbreaker,

Thanks for the wonderful video of Buddy Guy. I'll look into the Guy album you mention.

There's a wealth of stuff on that youtube channel.

Bluesbreaker,

Thanks for the wonderful video of Buddy Guy. I'll look into the Guy album you mention.

There's a wealth of stuff on that youtube channel.
    No problem rabbit, yes it's a great channel with some really interesting content.

The Blues Singer album is fantastic. I remember reading an article about it where it explained about why the producer wanted the archtop on the album and how he made Buddy play without a pick for a different and more intimate sound. He hated doing it at first as his fingers were so sore but when he heard it back he loved it.

This isn't the one I read but it's similar:

Buddy Guy Conjures Intimacy On Acoustic Set | Billboard

User Info Menu

This one...

+ Muddy for good measure...

Only saw Buddy Guy / Jnr Wells once, the crowd was getting restless because of the delay in setting up the gear & they came out and did an acoustic set which didn't go down well (?) - Buddy won 'em over by tearing them a new *hole in two verses (double ?).

Jnr Wells blew the back of it on a solo version of 'Help Me'..that helped too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic archtops used in genres other than jazz?-front-jpg Acoustic archtops used in genres other than jazz?-muddy-waters-newport-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here's John Mayer using an L5

Looks like Mark Whitfield is in the band for this performance as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75

+ Muddy for good measure...

The guitar on the Muddy at Newport is most probably John Lee Hooker's instrument.

Acoustic archtops used in genres other than jazz?-mqdefault-jpg

Acoustic archtops used in genres other than jazz?-hqdefault-jpg