The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

The B-Side of the "In The Still of the Night" by the Five Satins was this.

Pretty effing bad. Starts at 0:55

https://junkee.com/worst-solo-twitter-meme/251064

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Itd actually work if his timing was better.

User Info Menu

Is this what inspired Neil Young on Cinnamon Girl?

User Info Menu

I use that same set of notes when I improvise, too.

User Info Menu

I've never heard a sax sound like a kazoo. Amazing.

User Info Menu

Pretty bad, really.

But I could do much worse...

User Info Menu

Cant give a recording, just a story.

A talented young student, already very very good soloist. They had a big event, big big band. Many singers. Great list of good pop music. And he had 1 single solo in the whole set. He overblew it and couldn't recover fast enough before his part was over.
    This was recorded with 2 crane cameras, uber embarrassing for him.. but of course, everyone understood the issue. NP! Just funny in a few years time

User Info Menu

I love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    That's pretty funny!

joelf Guest
    Seriously, I have nothing against free playing---if someone can play. And plenty can. But the minute Albert Ayler gets out of the melody I head for Q-tips, digitalis---and if I weren't a peaceable man, a gun...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Pretty bad, really.

But I could do much worse...
    I could too, and have, but this saw the light of day on a recording by a popular group.

The Five Satins were a doo-wop group so I'm thinking the sax solo was played by a studio pro and not, as sometimes happened with rock bands doing original material, a band member who just wasn't very good.

Here's their biggest hit, "In The Still of the Night." The sax solo isn't great but it's fine.

User Info Menu

Which, ironically, is the best guitar solo ever. One note - the right one.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-22-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Correction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Which, ironically, is the best guitar solo ever. one note - the right one.
    And the reason for one note wasn't because that is the only one Neil knows how to play.

User Info Menu

Here's the right concept.

User Info Menu

Well, I would put his Southern Man in that category too, partly because it's a much longer solo. You may recall the great Lester Young's use of "worry notes." Charlie Christian did the same. But Neil Young takes the idea to a whole new level, not for the best.

User Info Menu

This reminds me of the terrible harmonica solo in Aretha Franklin's otherwise excellent version of Evil Gal Blues. It was performed by Buddy Lucas, the tenor sax player on the session. He later became well known as a harpist but judging by this recording, it must have been one of his first efforts on the instrument (solo at 1'44"):

User Info Menu

...and then there's this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The B-Side of the "In The Still of the Night" by the Five Satins was this.

Pretty effing bad. Starts at 0:55
    Hmm.. considering only a single note is applied I wouldn't consider it so much a saxophone solo as a rhythm break. Sort of like when drummers do solos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Well, I would put his Southern Man in that category too, partly because it's a much longer solo. You may recall the great Lester Young's use of "worry notes." Charlie Christian did the same. But Neil Young takes the idea to a whole new level, not for the best.
    I always assumed Neil had just listen to Grant Green's No. 1 Green Street before going into the studio and, as you noted, took the concept to a whole new level, with a passion!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Seriously, I have nothing against free playing---if someone can play. And plenty can. But the minute Albert Ayler gets out of the melody I head for Q-tips, digitalis---and if I weren't a peaceable man, a gun...
    yipes..in defense of albert ayler...harsh words for tranes fave!!! ...a beautiful cat..dead at 34!!

he had been playing pro since 16... with great blues harp man little walter in 1952

trane was the one who got ayler signed to impulse records

ayler also was chosen to play at tranes funeral!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    ...and then there's this:

He's doing it his way.

User Info Menu

No one ever bought this record for the flip. Back then, record companies would put throwaway songs on the flip to avoid splitting sales. Sometimes they just had the house band fake an instrumental.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I was going to post a video of Putin's recent visit to Saudi Arabia - the Saudi's rendition of the Russian national anthem made him wince, but then I remembered this...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Itd actually work if his timing was better.
    Instantly reminds me of Alix Combelle ( i think) on a django track who does something similar and its one of my favourite solos, but then his timing is great. at 3 mins 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    An explication of the "worry" note concept in Charlie Christian's playing.

How to Play Guitar Like Charlie Christian - JamieHolroydGuitar.com - Jamie Holroyd Guitar