The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hey!

How are you all doing? Hope you are doing great

I'm peruvian but lived and studied in Argentina for almost 9 years. Been quarantined over here for a few weeks so I just started recording some guitar arrangments of Argentinian Folk music.

They have a few mistakes and were recorded with the equipment I have at hand but would love to hear what you think!

La estancia Vieja - Atahualpa Yupanqui

Milonga de Pampa y Cielo - Victor Velasquez

Stay indoors and take care

Diego

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lovely playing, very neat. Isn't Milonga something to do with Fado? I could look it up of course. But that's why you're here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Gainly
    Lovely playing, very neat. Isn't Milonga something to do with Fado? I could look it up of course. But that's why you're here!
    Hi Hugo, thanks

Not that I know of. Its similar in its latin roots and flavor been Fado the musical root of Lisboa and Tango and Milonga to the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina. I would say it is more rooted (talking about influences) in Choro from Brazil and Habanera from Cuba.

I haven't heard much Fado but of what I've heard it tends to be slightly more metric and/or loose than milonga.

Milongas tend to have a repetitive cadence been build over on 123 123 12 rhythm. Also , both milongas I shared are Milongas Pampeanas (mm from the prairies?) that are slightly different the ones from the city more closely related to Tango.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing, excellent sound. I enjoyed both pieces. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Ah, yes. I can see the connection to Tango. A teacher of Tango I know uses the term but in a sort of juerga way (flamenco). Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Very nice playing, excellent sound. I enjoyed both pieces. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you for listening

Cosmic Gumbo, awesome video!

Lovely playing! I've never heard any of Victor Velaquez' music before, but just a couple of weeks ago I came a cross a 78 of Atahualpa Yupanqui and and got it out of curiosity... I like his playing a lot. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by frankie12.6.5.4
    Lovely playing! I've never heard any of Victor Velaquez' music before, but just a couple of weeks ago I came a cross a 78 of Atahualpa Yupanqui and and got it out of curiosity... I like his playing a lot. Thanks for posting!
    Thanks Frankie!

Atahualpa has a very soulful kind of playing. He , with his partner, wrote tons of beautiful music and lyrics about the argentinan life and landscape outside of the city. Glad you enjoyed it!

User Info Menu

Spain is the birthplace of the guitar. Spain and Latin America are where the seeds were grown to produce the beautiful flowers we have today. To discover the nature of the guitar, one must study this important music. Good playing . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Spain is the birthplace of the guitar. Spain and Latin America are where the seeds were grown to produce the beautiful flowers we have today. To discover the nature of the guitar, one must study this important music. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Indeed; thanks

User Info Menu

Very nice.