The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Given that there doesn't seem to be a great home for jazz piano on other forums, interested if having a dedicated thread here for guitarists also practicing jazz piano would stay afloat.

Personally, I am interested in others' methods and approaches to picking up jazz piano--what they are practicing and what their learning roadmap looks like.

I'm quite a beginner on piano still--I've been practicing classical & pop piano for the last 6 months, and now starting to dip into some jazz concepts. Currently I have been practicing my ii V7 I voicings with the root in the left hand and 3+7 in the right hand. Starting to also practice 1+3+7 in the left hand to help free up the right hand for melodies and solos.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My wife plays the piano, so I dabble on it occasionally, not very seriously though. I can pick out melodies and even some jazz licks quite well by ear, also I think it helps that the layout of the keyboard is so logical compared to the guitar.

I wasn’t sure how best to voice left hand chords, I kept trying to put too many notes in the LH and it was too complicated. I found some useful tutorials on YouTube about this. Eventually I settled for the ‘Bud Powell’ approach, at its simplest you just play 2 notes, e.g. root + 7 or root + 3. It works surprisingly well and lets you focus on the right hand.

User Info Menu

I've started working on this book in the last two weeks. I think it's great. Written for jazz musicians including those that don't yet play piano. As such it immediately dives into jazz chords. (So far as mentioned above, just two notes in the left hand).
    Attached Images Attached Images The Jazz Piano Thread-jerry-coker-piano-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here's an example from very early in the book. Note how easy that is to play, yet it sounds so hip.
    Attached Images Attached Images The Jazz Piano Thread-cooker-example-png 

I have Jimmy Amadi's book for piano, which I had pulled out again, a couple of weeks ago. His formula is 2 notes in the left hand, and then build in RH notes. So, I guess very similar.

Anyway, he starts with options of rt+3, rt+7, rt+5, and (I think) rt+6. My brain kind of explodes at that point, and my natural instinct is to limit. I ended up just cycling through the rt+7's for Maj-type chords, with a couple of variations of "what's left" for RH voicings. I get pretty pissy and childish when I run into what I perceive as too many options for a relative jazz-piano-beginner (which is what I am) or a general "Just do whatever you want. There are plenty of choices" attitude.

At that point, I kind of think, "Well, anyone can just say do whatever you want with limitless choices. Isn't it kind of the teacher's responsibility to give more temporary confines and limit choices, even if they're removed pretty early on?".

*****RANT OVER I GUESS ******

Fep, is Coker basically limiting LH to either 3rd or 7th (w/rt)? Is it kind of a rule of alternating so that they voice-lead (assuming 4ths progression)?

User Info Menu

I found that alternating 3rd and 7th works well and sounds good, where the progression suits it. E.g. ‘Solar’ works well like that.

User Info Menu

I've been working on Bb rhythm changes. The left hand is a walking bass, with just roots and approach notes, and the right playing threes and sevens. I have to say, it has been really slow going. The daunting thought is that I would need to be able to do it in other keys. Plus, I need more interesting voicings; easy to find or create your own, but hellish for me to select and play at tempo. Hand me a guitar or bass and a chart, and I am pretty comfortable playing almost anything; it would be great to be able to do that at the piano, not sure I am going to get there.

User Info Menu

Thread revival. Sorry, I never looked down to this sub forum to see this thread. So let’s dig in.

Where to begin? For voicings Jamey Aebersold’s ii-V-I is as good a place to begin as any. It has a hip rhythm backing track that is in sync with the book. You can’t get lost and you know exactly what to practice. It starts slowly and builds up to decent jazz piano voicings from there.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

32 years ago I began with the Mark Levine Jazz Piano Book. I highly recommend it even for beginners. You’ll begin doing actual tunes voicing in R-7, R-3, R-10, especially if you’ve got limber hands and can stretch to a 10th, which truly isn’t that difficult. And if you can’t stretch simply cheat a bit and roll it.

Mark teaches you how to invert the 3rd or 7th for correct voice, smooth, voice leading. You’re soon off and running with the first song Just Friends.

Again, a highly recommended book for the study of jazz piano.

The Jazz Piano Thread-aaf91242-e6eb-48e5-91b0-54e439e33b79-png

Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-07-2021 at 05:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Questions, fire away.

Working in all 12 keys isn’t difficult. You’ve simply got to allow yourself time to familiarize yourself with the keyboard.

Getting shapes into your hands is absolutely necessary. In no time at all you’ll be reaching for a keys shape instinctively. Be patient. It will come. Try a different key per week and work on the same thing. See practice example the final two minutes of this video first chromatically and then through the circle of 5th’s.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-07-2021 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Questions, fire away.

I'm trying to gain understanding on bebop line construction. Particularly over a basic jazz blues.

User Info Menu

I did a certificate in Jazz playing at St Andrews University one year, but couldn't move into the second year for the Diploma, as they insisted on piano playing as a second subject. I tried really hard, but just couldn't connect brain, keys and fingers. I demonstrated I could do all their exercises on guitar, and they were impressed, but "rules is rules!".

Their point was that they weren't trying to turn me into a pianist, but that the piano helped with theory and orchestration. Again I argued I could do all that from the guitar, but...ah well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I'm trying to gain understanding on bebop line construction. Particularly over a basic jazz blues.
    A good place to begin.

But the master is Dave Hazentine who conducts a MasterClass on the subject.

Dave’s videos are inexpensive and available here.

David Hazeltine - Bebop Piano Lesson (2) - My Music Masterclass

User Info Menu

Here’s Dave’s entire instruction material. But this is in the category of intermediate to beginning advanced

You searched for David Hazeltine - My Music Masterclass

I believe Dave discusses a bebop blues in volume 2

User Info Menu

Here’s a better one on bebop blues.

User Info Menu

Wayne Shorter’s Infant Eyes voiced: Adding notes to 3 note voicings

The Jazz Piano Thread-2492a1f8-d877-45cb-91a3-297063cb80ca-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I did a certificate in Jazz playing at St Andrews University one year, but couldn't move into the second year for the Diploma, as they insisted on piano playing as a second subject. I tried really hard, but just couldn't connect brain, keys and fingers. I demonstrated I could do all their exercises on guitar, and they were impressed, but "rules is rules!".

Their point was that they weren't trying to turn me into a pianist, but that the piano helped with theory and orchestration. Again I argued I could do all that from the guitar, but...ah well.
    It's worth paying the tuition for an anecdote as this.

User Info Menu

Awesome

User Info Menu

Tune Up with left hand voicings.

The Jazz Piano Thread-36780e96-24a3-4579-b72a-b285ca30922e-png

User Info Menu

I Thought About You with altered left hand voicings.

The Jazz Piano Thread-7b81af41-e8c5-4074-bad3-7c005a002de1-pngThe Jazz Piano Thread-19a39f16-a6fd-4192-a622-b1d7e76490c2-png
    Attached Images Attached Images The Jazz Piano Thread-2c5c2ed6-8295-4c16-a18a-62d3095c3f74-png 

User Info Menu

Sus Chords.

The Jazz Piano Thread-9af545cc-e0ba-4749-829b-1d78ca2366b0-pngThe Jazz Piano Thread-c70e8e0f-d0dd-4ce6-a7d0-fb99ea414356-png

User Info Menu

Arranging - Here’s Lou Rawls Pure Imagination with Sus voicings, Kenny Barron voicings, Herbie Hancock voicings, Passing Chords, Reharnonization techniques, etc.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-08-2021 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Beginning Upper Structure voicings.

User Info Menu

Quartal Harmony

Voicing with 4th’s, So What chords.

So-What-Voicing-12-Keys.pdf

User Info Menu

I might have to start studying the David Hazeltine. He sounds fantastic and seems to break it down well. That's the sound I want to achieve.