The king sits in Dunfermline toune
    drinking the blude reid wine,
    "O whar can I get skeely skipper,
    To sail this ship o' mine?"

Up and spak an eldern knicht,
    Sat at the kings richt kne:
    "Sir Patrick Spens is the best sailor
    That sails upon the se."

Of course, Sir Patrick and his men drown. A painting in Auckland Art Gallery shows the womenfolk waiting in vain for the sailors’ return.

User Info Menu

Straight, no brainer.

Louis Stewart. She moved Through The Fair from 'Out On His Own'

Not on YouTube so...

User Info Menu

Keep listening. They bring this to some really cool places, gliding between 6/8, 7/4 and 4/4

User Info Menu

Does "Whiskey in the Jar" counts? XD
    It's Irish song. XD

User Info Menu

There is no better guitarist than Martin Simpson

User Info Menu

Or Jim Mullen for that matter

honestly, the Celtic thing is ... kind of an inaccurate short hand.

Both of the songs you chose are English. I could play you some Northumbrian border stuff that you’d probably think was Celtic. History is more complicated.

In fact I’ve been told it’s down to Henry VIII that English folk music was marginalised and we think of the music as coming from Scotland and Ireland - ‘the Celtic borders’ because there the music is taken seriously. (Obviously depending on where you go it will have regional variations.)

User Info Menu

Now here’s some Finnish music.
    Not a ballad but I bloody love it.

User Info Menu

Christian!

You are absolutely right, but we all know what I am talking about . For me, Nordic also means Engish (okok, thats not the best wording).

Thank you all for yours posts, keep them coming please, they are all beautiful!

User Info Menu

Can't not mention Tony Mcmanus:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    For me, Nordic also means Engish (okok, thats not the best wording).
    What does Celtic mean to you? These three are very different folk traditions.

User Info Menu

Being Finnish I was really confused when I opened this thread and saw the songs.

Anyway, I like Pentangle. Is Danny Thompson the Official Bass Player of the United Kingdom? Since he pops up everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    .Now here’s some Finnish music.
    Not a ballad but I bloody love it.

Are you familiar with Finnish world music/folk band Värttinä? You might like them. They are vocal-heavy but have interesting things going on.

User Info Menu

A pedant writes: dunno what you mean be Celtic/Nordic?! Seems like you just mean 'folk from western part of Europe' here?

A lot of Irish and Scottish traditional musicians get really pissed off when their music is described as 'celtic'. It's Irish traditional music. Or it's Scottish traditional music. And music from Scandinavia is something else again...

Also, a 'ballad' in the traditional folk world is a long-form narrative song. Can't really be a 'ballad' if it's an intstrumental. If you're not sure whether it's a ballad ask the questions "Does it tell a story?" and "Is it bloody long?"

Sorry if this is 'folksplaining'!
    Last edited by Matt Milton; 06-26-2020 at 11:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Anyway, you did say 'guitaristic', so here's Martin Carthy (an English guitarist and singer) singing 'Willie's Lady' (a Scottish ballad) to a Breton tune. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Breton tune; if so, that would make it 'Celtic'.

and here's Martin again, doing much the same thing: I'm pretty certain that the tune he fits to the 'Wife of Usher's Well' is another one of northern French origin. This is Martin Carthy playing in the mode that I love the best, these dour, dark repetitive melodies.

User Info Menu

Here's some Irish unaccompanied traditional singing (from the Ulster region, Northern Ireland) by Sarah Makes. I'm posting this because it's a frequent earworm of mine; and I've often thought it would make a good tune to play in a jazz style. It would lend itself to a good chord melody arrangement I reckon. Plus I can really hear a saxophone playing that vocal line.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Nordic. Odd meter that doesn't sound odd at all. Beautiful ballad in 9

User Info Menu

This thread reminded me of an Irish melody I harmonized and posted to youtube about 12 years ago. I haven’t played it for ages. Here’s the basic head with plectrum. I should dust it off and see what I can do with it now.

User Info Menu

Jay Ungar’s Ashokan Farewell is an American fiddle tune in that style. Here’s my arrangement recorded eight years ago, slightly reharmonized. I’ve learned to play it more fluidly since then.