The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This looks a great book for prog and jazz-rock players. An early Christmas present for your keyboard player

Link:

Creative Synthesizer Technique Book + Online Audio - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

Adam Holzman (Miles Davis) - Creative Synthesizer Technique-30656m-jpg

This book represents nothing less than the magnum opus of a jazz-rock master of synthesizer technique. Creative Synthesizer Technique is a unique addition to the Mel Bay keyboard bookshelf, both for its content and writing style. Holzman begins with an overview of the building blocks of sound as found on most synthesizers and then, through a series of hands-on, “Try This” projects, shows you how to use those blocks creatively.

Each phase of synthesis is illustrated by a series of 43 downloadable audio tracks. Throughout, the author integrates synthesizer techniques with genuine musical ideas, providing images of his professional stage setup as well as a minimal equipment layout for home hobbyists. Additional information is shared in the author’s notes, footnotes and a generous glossary. His “Additional Thoughts on Performance” are filled with helpful suggestions for better soloing.

Holzman has toured extensively with trumpet legend Miles Davis and British rocker Steven Wilson; he brings his 35 years of performance and synthesizer knowledge to bear in this outstanding book. Includes access to online audio.

Chapter I - GENERAL IDEAS ABOUT KEYBOARDS
    - A. The Sound of the Band
    - B. Keyboard Families
    - C. Note to Keyboard Players
    Chapter II - PROGRAMMING THEORY AND PRACTICE
    - A. Different Types of Synthesis
    - B. Analog Theory
    - C. The Oscillator
    - D. The Filter
    - E. Keyboard Tracking
    - F. Envelopes
    - G. Modulation and LFOs
    - H. Detuned Oscillators
    - I. Noise
    - J. Sample and Hold
    - K. Pitch Envelopes
    Chapter III - COMPING AND PART-PLAYING
    VARIOUS ROLES A KEYBOARDIST CAN ASSUME
    - A. Melodic/Orchestral
    - B. Rhythmic/Percussive Comping
    - C. More Techniques for Part-Playing
    Chapter IV - SOLOING
    - A. Sound
    1. Single-Oscillator Patches
    2. Double-Oscillator Patches
    3. Sync’d Oscillators
    - B. Performance Techniques
    1. Modulation and Using LFOs
    2. Pitch Bending
    - C. Patterns and Licks
    Chapter V - SOUND DESIGN
    - A. General Ideas
    - B. Outboard Gear
    - C. “Pure” Electronic Music
    Chapter VI - WHAT WORKS FOR ME: Live Setup
    Chapter VII - HOME RECORDING SUGGESTIONS
    Chapter VIII - THREE SYNTHESIZER HEROES
    - A. Jan Hammer
    - B. Joe Zawinul
    - C. Herbie Hancock
    Chapter IX - CONCLUSION: Finding Your Own Voice
    - A. Keep it Simple
    - B. Your Choices = Your Sound
    Chapter X - GLOSSARY OF TERMS

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve seen Adam Holzman, he was in Michel Petrucciani’s group at Ronnie Scott’s once. He did a cool thing at one point, playing a bossa nylon guitar accompaniment on the synth (it sounded very realistic, must have been a sound sample or something).

Not to be confused with Adam Holzman the classical guitarist (has recorded for Naxos).

User Info Menu

He is the son of the founder of Elektra Records...interesting pedigree...

That sounds interesting. I was SO INTO synths in the 70's...I would have killed for this book at that time. The fact that I didn't know how to play keyboards other than in a rudimentary way was a bit of an impediment admittedly...

IDK--over the last few years I have played around with virtual synths, both using a midi keyboard and a guitar as a controller. It just requires so much effort to make a useful sound--steep learning curve--that I have set it aside. I still have a couple of synth programs on my iPad and MacBook in case I get the urge again.

User Info Menu

Agreed, but it's unique to have someone so embedded in jazz writing such a book. I don't have a synth, never have, but I played with a couple of virtual ones. Some great keyboards out there now.

User Info Menu

well i like his choice of synth heroes...(on the fusiony jazz side)...might add chick corea or david sancious too...

Chapter VIII - THREE SYNTHESIZER HEROES
    - A. Jan Hammer
    - B. Joe Zawinul
    - C. Herbie Hancock

moog synths are always much fun...vintage and reissues

cheers