The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
    joelf Guest
    Some good stuff from Ms. Laurie Pepper's website: cuts featuring Art's '70s quartet and a club jam session featuring Art and Warne Marsh:

FREE MUSIC! BUY MUSIC!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    jazzers from nebraska...some goodies

Category:Jazz musicians from Nebraska - Wikipedia

hah

cheers

Hi, N,
    "From" and "living in Nebraska" are two different things. Chet Baker was born in Yale, Oklahoma. I wonder what his musical opportunities would have been if he stayed. The only two names I recognized from the Nebraska list were Patricia Barber(born in Chicago??) and Steve Turre(raised in SF, Cali). I wonder how long they stayed? I guess my humor failed. . . I've been guilty of that in the past. Well, can you find the Jazz club in the picture below? I'll try again! Good playing . . . Marinero

Google Image Result for https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journalstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/85/a859f359-0c51-5792-aa08-63162b589f48/55f32d453ee2c.image.jpgGoogle Image Result for https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journalstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/85/a859f359-0c51-5792-aa08-63162b589f48/55f32d453ee2c.image.jpg

User Info Menu

Most famous players were born one place and moved someplace else to get away from the tragedy of life in a backwater. Just read that Lester Young was born in rural Mississippi. We wouldn't be reading about him if he had stayed there.

However, I think some players take a bit of their background with them wherever they go, like Louis Armstrong.

I don't know about Chet--he really seems California in his sound, though he sure looked like a beat-down Okie as he aged.

There aren't a lot of players that I think have a rural midwest sound. Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden come to mind.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marinero;1011023]Hi, N,
    I guess my humor failed. . . I've been guilty of that in the past. /QUOTE]

and you think i was serious???

hah

cheers

ps- jerry hahn is a great guitar player on that list...used to write column for guitar player..smart cat...well respected

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    There aren't a lot of players that I think have a rural midwest sound. Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden come to mind.
    Missouri means Kansas City, not exactly the boonies when it comes to jazz history.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Missouri means Kansas City, not exactly the boonies when it comes to jazz history.
    Well I realize that but there’s urban KC and Midwestern KC. People like Charlie Parker (also KC) brought an urban vibe to their playing. So did Miles (though he understood something about ambience).

There are very few jazzers who bring what I would call a rural or midwestern sensibility to their playing. That has to do with space between the notes in the music and ambience. Think of Metheny’s Bright Size Life songs or his duo album with Charlie Haden. Bill Frisell comes to mind as well. He grew up in Denver, not exactly Midwest, but definitely more of a Big Sky kind of place.

User Info Menu

midwestern sensibility in playing?
    new one on me....

User Info Menu

^ george barnes of south chicago heights, illinois

cheers

User Info Menu

So midwestern sensibility is country jazz style playing?
    We know Barnes was from Chicago but sounds like southern style playing to me, Atkins, Travis, Maphis, Bryant, Lanham, etc
    That country jazz lp, which I have, isn't really indicative of the majority of Barnes output

User Info Menu

was only funnin wm

south chicago heights is actually about 30 miles from chicago proper.. woulda been a small hicksville town when barnes was born

having said that, barnes was no hipster...not big apple or west coast sounding player!! he was always a bit different...idiosyncratic...great player tho!

hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Agreed, don't think I ever heard him hit a clam, super precise technique
    One of those players you immediately recognize after a few bars, big fan!

User Info Menu

there's a great radio show of early bing crosby...a radio broadcast of him on tour from chicago...he introduces george barnes..bing was blown away by barnes playing and wanted to take him on the road with him..but barnes was a local guy and didn't do it..but bing really loved his playing

cheers

User Info Menu

yeah, der Bingle loved guitar players, his pal Eddie Lang, Carl Kress, Eddie Condon, Les Paul, Johnny Smith, etc...

User Info Menu

The whole thing in this thread about where players are from seems to come from neatomic's reaction to Joel's interactions to players in his neighborhood.

From that perspective, it seems more à propos to talk about where a player was living during his or her formative (jazz) years.

Pepper Adams started playing music in Columbia Park, IN, and then moved to Rochester, NY. As a teenager, he listened extensively to jazz, went to local concerts to see Duke Ellington, and somehow managed to get sax lessons from Skippy Williams. He started playing professionally at 16, and moved to Detroit.

At the time I started getting interested in the guitar, it was the middle of the folk revival. I lived within bicycling distance of Reverend Gary Davis, and an easy subway ride from Dave Van Ronk, both of whom were giving inexpensive lessons to anyone who showed up. But I was completely unaware; unaware, even, that people could actually take lessons in guitar playing – didn't guitar players just teach themselves?

So living in proximity to musical greats can be instructive, enlightening, and transformative; but it seems that an awful lot of successful musicians found mentors in unlikely places.

A friend of mine grew up in an apartment next door to Max Roach, who became a very close family friend. My friend would talk to him constantly, even calling him from Paris during a semester abroad. But my friend, who loves jazz, never had the slightest urge to play any instrument whatsoever.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    The whole thing in this thread about where players are from seems to come from neatomic's reaction to Joel's interactions to players in his neighborhood.

From that perspective, it seems more à propos to talk about where a player was living during his or her formative (jazz) years.

Pepper Adams started playing music in Columbia Park, IN, and then moved to Rochester, NY. As a teenager, he listened extensively to jazz, went to local concerts to see Duke Ellington, and somehow managed to get sax lessons from Skippy Williams. He started playing professionally at 16, and moved to Detroit.

At the time I started getting interested in the guitar, it was the middle of the folk revival. I lived within bicycling distance of Reverend Gary Davis, and an easy subway ride from Dave Van Ronk, both of whom were giving inexpensive lessons to anyone who showed up. But I was completely unaware; unaware, even, that people could actually take lessons in guitar playing – didn't guitar players just teach themselves?

So living in proximity to musical greats can be instructive, enlightening, and transformative; but it seems that an awful lot of successful musicians found mentors in unlikely places.

A friend of mine grew up in an apartment next door to Max Roach, who became a very close family friend. My friend would talk to him constantly, even calling him from Paris during a semester abroad. But my friend, who loves jazz, never had the slightest urge to play any instrument whatsoever.
    Great post.

Once upon a time the 'stars' were your neighbors---and not so full of themselves.

The guys I grew up w/in Canarsie, Brooklyn, also in some cases did pretty well for themselves. Warren Cuccarula (never could spell his name right!) went on to fame and fortune with Frank Zappa; Duran Duran, and his own groups. Used to hang out in his basement, summer of '74. He was always 'fast', and knew what he wanted. He got it! Alan Childs (formerly Schildkraut---his uncle was the great alto player Dave Schildkraut, another story for another day about meeting him) became a top rock road rat who toured with David Bowie and I don't know who-all else. Later I knew Mark Rivera---OK, from Bensonhurst, but still...We had a hilarious ride home from a gig in the Catskills, coasting most of the way on 47 cents of gas and a carton of Tropicana. He started hanging out with Dave Sanborn, and before you could say 'Butterfield' he was touring or performing one-offs with Simon and Garfunkel (he's on the 1st Central Park Concert) and John Lennon (a TV show where the band wore images of their fronts on their backs). Bobby Lenti, still one of my best friends and producer of the 2 CDs I made in his home studio, was in the late '70s part of a successful group: Johnny's Dance Band. Then, in nearby E. NY, was Hollis 'Jay' Gouge. His band was Exit 9. They made at least one pretty good recording. I was in that group for a hot minute, also auditioned for Brass Construction and was hired, but went to Tuscon that summer of '72 instead. At 400 Cozine Avenue was Larry Ridley (didn't meet him til years later) and guitar-playing John Prescott (I 'liberated' his copy of So Much Guitar) and his WRVR (I think) DJ sister Pat.

The others may not have been in such high-profile situations, but most did OK and are still active. My own career has had its ups and downs and I'll take it. Wouldn't trade places with anyone. But what formative years with these wonderful people!

User Info Menu

The term "original" is very misleading. We all have conscious/subconscious elements that effect who we are as sentient beings and how we develop/play as musicians. As in any field, the greater the stimulus, the greater opportunity to grow . . . ergo, Jazz and Classical musicians leaving places of intellectual isolation for those areas which provide more opportunities and stimulus. And, the examples are countless. Cities like LA, New York, and to a lesser extent, Chicago, are good examples. A quality seed will never grow in sand. It needs an enriched soil to germinate and grow. Good playing . . . Marinero