The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 261

User Info Menu

Can't forget Elmore James. Zappa once said of him, "He played the same slide lick in every song but I always felt like he meant it." His voice gives me chills. (The best kind.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Another big inspiration of the Allmans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Another big inspiration of the Allmans

Love Sonny Boy. Listen to him a lot: "I Don't Know," "Your Funeral, My Trial", "Fattening Frogs For Snakes", "Don't Start Me Talkin'".

Interesting to hear what the Allmans took from this recording and also what they added. (Their rhythm section was on another level.)

User Info Menu

Smokestack Lightnin'! Howlin' Wolf never seen this one coming........

User Info Menu

I was waiting in an office this morning and watched a Cornell Dupree video on my phone. In it, he said he was very influenced by country music when growing up and that it's an important part of his style. (For those unfamiliar with the name, Cornell Dupree played on over 2,500 sessions--King Curtis, Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, hundreds of others-- and is thought of primarily as an R&B guitarist.) Here's a taste from the video, "Rainy Night In Georgia."

Anyway, later in the video he says he doesn't think there's much difference between country music and blues.
    I thought of this song, covered by greats from both camps:

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I was waiting in an office this morning and watched a Cornell Dupree video on my phone. In it, he said he was very influenced by country music when growing up and that it's an important part of his style. (For those unfamiliar with the name, Cornell Dupree played on over 2,500 sessions--King Curtis, Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, hundreds of others-- and is thought of primarily as an R&B guitarist.) Here's a taste from the video, "Rainy Night In Georgia."

Anyway, later in the video he says he doesn't think there's much difference between country music and blues.
    I thought of this song, covered by greats from both camps:

And he and Eric Gale were an important part of Stuff. Caught them live at the old Mikell's. Lovely...

User Info Menu

cornell dupree was big influence on early hendrix...they played together backing up some r&b greats like king curtis and percy sledge

here's cornell with his guild starfire next to jimi

near his end, cornell had severe respiratory problems and would play on stage with an oxygen tank!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Blind Willie Johnson. What can you say?

Electric or "slick" blues ultimately just sucked the essence right out of the thang, IMO.

Ry does it good.

User Info Menu

Of course, Ryland was another big influence on the Allmans, and a big influence on Duane's slide playing. By listening to Ry's slide on Taj's cover of this tune, Ry taught Duane exactly how to approach it.

*Correct info by Neatomic credits Jesse Edwin Davis as slide on this cut, sorry for my misinformation.

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-23-2020 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cornell dupree was big influence on early hendrix...they played together backing up some r&b greats like king curtis and percy sledge

here's cornell with his guild starfire next to jimi

near his end, cornell had severe respiratory problems and would play on stage with an oxygen tank!!

cheers
    A live version of "Memphis Soul Stew"---talk about a band of legends!

The hit single version:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Of course, Ryland was another big influence on the Allmans, and a big influence on Duane's slide playing. By listening to Ry's slide on Taj's cover of this tune, Ry taught Duane exactly how to approach it.
    love ry cooder...and taj..and lindley..(recently posted a cooder/lindley jesus on the mainline in another thread) and tho ry cooder is indeed on the first taj mahal lp..and had played with him beforehand in the rising sons...its the great jesse ed davis that played slide with taj...duane allman spoke about how jesse ed was a big influence on him!!...pretty sure jessie ed used the e tuning that duane used...cooder was a g tuning guy

like i said love'm all..but gotta give jesse ed davis his due...he was a native american, and had a hard short career and life...but he played with many greats..he was a fave of clapton, hari and john lennon too

here he is playing slide on different track from that lp..with (session great) bill boatman on 2nd guitar..ry's not on this

jesse with heavy friends

cheers

User Info Menu

but, here is ry cooder rippin it with capt. beefheart/don van vliet...the producer called in ry...and gave him money to go out and buy an electric guitar...his first..he got a sonic blue strat...(still has!)

and here's the original...by the great robert pete williams...williams had been serving time for manslaughter in angola prison and was released based on his musical talent..various music biz people rallied for his parole

from the ^ utube clip

"Robert Pete Williams (born 1914), author of Grown So Ugly
    Covered in 1967 by Captain Beefhart and his Magic Band (arrangement by Ry Cooder)
    This cover was then recovered by The Black Keys in 2004
    You can like best whichever version you want but Robert still did it first and just him and a guitar."

cheers

User Info Menu

One of my favorite early BB King songs, "You Upset Me, Baby." (The title is always given as "You Upset..." but when singing, BB says "You upsets me...")

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    and here's the original...by the great robert pete williams...williams had been serving time for manslaughter in angola prison and was released based on his musical talent..various music biz people rallied for his parole

Absolutely mesmeric groove, and magic generated from the one chord.

Gives one lots of possibilities to think on...

User Info Menu

A little late to the party, but a few of my faves:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A little late to the party, but a few of my faves:

Thanks for including my late friend Eddy. Worked with him in the early eighties on several european tours and enjoyed a life-long friendship with him.

User Info Menu

Earl Coleman. W/ Miles and Gene Ammons.

User Info Menu

One of the greatest intros in Chicago blues, "That's Alright" by Jimmy Rogers.
    (Jimmy recorded this song several times, so you may know the song but recall a slightly different version.)

User Info Menu

Yea... back home. Cool thread.

So someone said, all jazz has blues. I'll that that a little further, the consistent, or universal thread through all jazz styles... is the Blues.

So what is the blues?

just some existing thoughts, nothing new.

1) Blues is a Tonality, (not just a song form)
    by tonality, I mean... not Functional harmony, unless you want to get into Subdominant Function.

2) Blues use metrical function...... typical maj/min functional harmony or linear harmonic structure etc... become flipped over. Instead of calling Blue Notes embellishments or color, with Blues, all the traditional functional theory becomes... embellishment and color.

3) The only somewhat traditional functional relationship... is the minor 3rd. So like the relative Minor of major relationship... or the relative Maj. or Min. that harmonic or melodic movement can still have functional movement.

4) Chord Patterns or vamps and grooves become repeating or loops... become Tonic. At least within periods of time.

Anyway... just some thoughts. dig all the posts.

User Info Menu

A few blues (and bluesy) things by the Rolling Stones.

The Stones with Muddy Waters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    One of the greatest intros in Chicago blues, "That's Alright" by Jimmy Rogers.
    (Jimmy recorded this song several times, so you may know the song but recall a slightly different version.)

Agreed. I often teach that tune as a prime example of electric Chicago blues in the key of E. Here's my transcription of the intro and solo:

The Blues Thread-ta1-jpgThe Blues Thread-ta2-jpg

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Earl Coleman. W/ Miles and Gene Ammons.

Wow! Thanks---never knew this existed. What record is it from?