The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

In no particular order:

Rage Against the Machine - RATM
    Countdown to Extinction - Megadeth
    Tales from the Hudson - Brecker (Metheny)
    Rumour and Sigh - Richard Thompson (Vincent Black Lightning, come on!)
    The Bends - Radiohead. (Far more than OK Computer, even though its probably a better album. The Bends is just great guitar parts start to finish.)
    Superunknown - Soundgarden
    Que Allegria - John McLaughlin
    Modern Life is Rubbish - Blur (Coxon!)
    Pocket Full of Kryptonite - Spin Doctors. (OK so this won't win me any cool points, but their lead guitarist - Eric Shenckman - was a hip player.)
    Second Coming - The Stone Roses (the first album is great, but this is where Squire went full on blues/rock.)

TBH a lot of the music I listened to in the 90s was older. Listened to a lot of 80s Metallica with friends - Ride the Lightning and so on.... A bit of 80s stuff, but mostly 60s and 70s. And old jazz.

Not much jazz guitar right? At that point I was mostly listening to horns and piano. I didn't really like jazz guitar as a thing. Apart from Holdsworth and, like, Django.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

https-::songs-tube.net:178744-ZZ%20Top-Dreadmonboogaloo.html

Some of ZZ Top's (Rev. Billy G & Co) Finest work. If the above link doesn't work, it's worth running down for its sheer sonic squalor. This is beyond funk. It's fetid. Fantastically fecund.

This is from XXX (1999). Nineteen-ninety-four's Antenna has some great stuff, and 1996's Rhythmeen boasts not only the wicked whythmns of the title track, but also the brazenly reptilian skronk of Humbucking Pt. 2.

Not for the faint of ear.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-05-2020 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition

User Info Menu

Of course there were the grunge bands. I did have albums by Pearl Jam and Nirvana, but they were not my favoritist bands in the world.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers really hit their stride in the 90’s with Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

I agree with Richard Thompson—always a class act—and Radiohead.

The Smashing Pumpkins did some smashing work. Dave Matthews Band was getting big. The Flaming Lips did the Soft Machine in 1999.

I’m not a huge fan of some bands like Guns N Roses, but there they were.

As far as jazz, Pat Metheny and John Scofield continued to put out consistently good albums. Bill Frisell put out about a gazillion records in that decade. Charlie Hunter was working hard.

Lucinda Williams and KD Lang put out iconic albums—the latter’s Ingenue featured the great guitar work of Greg Leisz, who also I think cowrote many of the songs. More good stuff by Lyle Lovett and Steve Earle. Gillian Welch and Dave Chapman were gaining prominence. One of my favorite guitar albums with Tony Rice, Norman Blake and Doc Watson—Blake and Rice 2–came out in 1990.

User Info Menu

And it’s not guitar-oriented, but Zappa put out his final album, The Yellow Shark, in 1993. A fitting capstone to a singular career.

User Info Menu

Steve Vai’s Passion & Warfare

Eric Johnson’s Ah Via Musicom

User Info Menu

How could I forget Russell Malone’s work with Diana Krall?

User Info Menu

John Scofield - Time on My Hands
    Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

User Info Menu

A Thousand Leaves

User Info Menu

two I liked

A Picture of Nectar - Phish
    A Go Go - Sco

User Info Menu

The 80's was not a good time for guitarists at least in the rock context. Look at New Order for instance dropping guitars for synths. Guitar solos in the 80's outside of maybe Prince and Eric Clapton were not very impressive. Guitar sounds moved toward highly reverbed, echoey stuff like Johnny Marr and The Edge.

The 90's saw a resurgence of guitars, though with some exceptions the guitars were not the focal point and solos were few and far between. Look at Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins and RHCPs were bright spots in the rock guitar world.

However, despite being more or less fashion accessories for any alt-y band worth their salt, even Taylor Swift and Shakira, guitars have not regained the preeminence they once had as the focal point of popular music.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Que Alegria - John McLaughlin
    This is an incredible record, so underrated!

I also listened to a LOT of jazz in the 90s (which was high school and college for me) and relatively little jazz guitar. I did have Russell Malone's "Black Butterfly" in college, and Mark Whitfield's first couple records.

For me, THE jazz guitar album of the 90s will always be Peter Bernstein's "Brain Dance". I got this when it came out, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Peter has been one of my favorite jazz musicians ever since. I still think this is some of his best playing ever, and I can sing every note of this album.

User Info Menu

Danny Gatton New York Stories w/Roy Hargrove, Joshua Redman, Bobby Watson
    Danny Gatton Relentles w/ Joy DeFrancesco
    Herb Ellis, Roll Call w Mel Rhyne, Johnny Frigo
    Herb Ellis, Texas Swings w/ Western Swing great Herb Remington, Johnny Gimble
    Mike Stern Standards
    Steve Khan, Lets Call This
    Philip DeGruy, Innuendo Out the Ear