The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I get asked sometimes how long I've played the guitar. The fact is, I have no memory of ever NOT playing the guitar. I do, however, have a striking recollection of the exact moment the guitar became an obsession. Sometime in 1968 watching the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour this came on. btw about 1:10 is a pretty astounding drum fill given the lead instrument is a nylon-stringed guitar!

The quality of the video is poor, but imagine this was 1968! This became a huge hit for decades. I think it might be the only instrumental on a nylon stringed guitar that became an international hit! Seriously, #1 on my "bucket list" is playing this song in an ensemble like this...

Originally entitled "Classical Gasoline" meaning fuel for practicing the classical guitar but abbreviated into 60's slang "It's a gas..." So... I pulled out the backing track (created by Mason Williams himself) and ran through this a couple times and rolled tape. A few clams, but this song still has the magic for me. It has been some time since I seriously picked up my classical guitar. I might try some standards on it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks, Lawson!

User Info Menu

Me too.

I was about 11 years old, it was probably 1968 or 69, and I eas bored with a guitar teacher's material that I was being given. I said I wanted to learn Classical Gas, that was like a gateway drug for me. The first piece I put a ton of effort into, learning that song way back then is maybe why I still play today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Me too.

I was about 11 years old, it was probably 1968 or 69, and I eas bored with a guitar teacher's material that I was being given. I said I wanted to learn Classical Gas, that was like a gateway drug for me. The first piece I put a ton of effort into, learning that song way back then is maybe why I still play today.
    Yes. I saw that performance on TV and bought the album. I found a very crude sheet music publication of it and spent a summer on my grandparents' farm dropping and lifting the needle, looking at the score, and using Fredrick Noad's Playing the Guitar as a manual to classical technique and notation reading.

By summer's end I could play it. I could not play anything else, but I could play "Classical Gas."

User Info Menu

Bravo!

User Info Menu

Excellent! Thanks for doing the video and posting it.

User Info Menu

... I think this thread should not go forward without mentioning Tommy Emmanuel....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Great tune and great playing Lawson

.. but with regards to your international hit claim

Beautiful! Any time a classical guitar recording goes global we all win!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    ... I think this thread should not go forward without mentioning Tommy Emmanuel....

The only thing more amazing than Tommy's playing in this video is seeing him play it live. From 25 feet away.

Ask me how I know....lol

Well played Lawson....really well done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-19-2020 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Great tune and great playing Lawson

.. but with regards to your international hit claim

One of my favorite tunes from one of my favorite flicks...

User Info Menu

Huge "Bravo!" to both Lawson and Tommy.

User Info Menu

Nice playing!

There are a few songs that A) always interest the kids and the pretty girls, and B) get people's attention in the guitar store without making them want to smash a Gibson LP over your head. This is one of them. One of the first I learned to play fingerstyle when I studied in the early 80's. I think there was a version of this in a Mario Abril book--I could be wrong, as I've long since lost the sheet music if I ever had it.

The other crowd-pleasers for nylon string would be Bach's Bouree and Steve Howe's Mood for a Day. With these 3 songs, you could look like a musical genius at any frat party on campus.

The intro to Stairway to Heaven also is worthwhile, but be careful not to wear out the welcome with this one.

As for Tommy, well he can do no wrong, but on a steel string??