The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

I can confirm that being a guitar player attracts dudes with beards and glasses. Being a dude with a beard and glasses, the whole thing is quite funny. I'll walk into a gig, spot the guy who most looks like me, and sure enough, he'll be the one who comes up to talk shop.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I can confirm that being a guitar player attracts dudes with beards and glasses. Being a dude with a beard and glasses, the whole thing is quite funny. I'll walk into a gig, spot the guy who most looks like me, and sure enough, he'll be the one who comes up to talk shop.
    I still have to meet a guy who looks like me !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    That vulgar generalisation may be true in your locality, but not elsewhere.
    Ich habe in ganz Europa saxophone gespielt .

User Info Menu

The saxophone was a newish instrument in the early 20th century that did not come from the orchestral or folk tradition. Therefore it immediately became associated with the new music, which was ragtime then jazz.

As I understand, it was invented in the mid-1800s for small orchestras, and had a wave of popularity, but then fell off until the dance music of the early 1900's.

You can't say this about any of the other instruments in jazz.

BTW, there are a number of original Adolph Sachs instruments at the Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Also, I think the museum in Vermillion South Dakota (now closed for renovation) has one of the larger collections in the world of originals.

User Info Menu

Let’s face it, playing a sax makes you look really cool.

User Info Menu

Wow, the double bass actually plays higher than the sax. What's not to like?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    Adolph is a dictator's first name. That's why the saxophone is the ultimate instrument of jazz
    What about the Trump-et??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft
    Ich habe in ganz Europa saxophone gespielt .
    In the red light districts, I bet. I've 2 X chromosomes. My 97 co-inmates from all over northern Yoorp too (as well as the 31 staff, but I didn't want to bother them); the perfect controlgroup for a scientific poll:

[x] saxophones leave me cold: 98/98
    [x] Pycroft is a base vulgarian: 98/98

So there you have it, mister

User Info Menu

yes: sax, trumpet, clarinet, upright, piano

but i vote for The Drums

when listening to jazz--or playing jazz--often i listen to the drums more than any other element....i'm playing off them....responding to them....quoting them...paraphrasing them...giggling from the sense of joy and freedom gotten from them...

DANCING upon the foundation they provide...

jazz drummers are THE drummers....THE rhythm masters

dancing atop a good jazz drummer's pulse?.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM OMG.

User Info Menu

I played clarinet and tenor sax through high school & college. The Sax is an improviser’s dream instrument. Every note is immediately under your fingers, and you can play a flurry of running notes with little effort.

User Info Menu

Asking for all the ignorant guitar players like myself; just how difficult is it to make good sounds come out of a sax? I know that no instrument is easy to play well but just getting a sound that doesn’t sound like castrati duck being steamrolled, does it take weeks, months of 2-3 hours a day to get to the point where it sounds like a sax?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Asking for all the ignorant guitar players like myself; just how difficult is it to make good sounds come out of a sax? I know that no instrument is easy to play well but just getting a sound that doesn’t sound like castrati duck being steamrolled, does it take weeks, months of 2-3 hours a day to get to the point where it sounds like a sax?
    Based on my experience as a trumpet guy trying to learn clarinet like the rest of my family - a long, long time. Reeds are tricky!

User Info Menu

Getting a good sound out of an alto sax is way easier than guitar.