The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...obit-1.5422806

I was never a big Rush fan, but I respected what they did, for sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RIP Mr. Peart. We thank you.

User Info Menu

sad news..was never a rush fan...but he was a well respected drummer

rip np

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...obit-1.5422806

I was never a big Rush fan, but I respected what they did, for sure.
    How bizarre - lots of different news sources in my feed and this is the first I've heard about it and he died days ago! An awesome percussionist. RIP.

(Edit: And even more bizarre, refreshed inoreader five minutes after posting and there it was at the top of the NY Times feed: Neil Peart, Drummer for Rush, Dies at 67 - The New York Times)

User Info Menu

The quote in CNN is something like he continued to take drum lessons until at least somewhat recently. That's a true professional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    sad news..was never a rush fan...but he was a well respected drummer

rip np

cheers
    Never liked them either, but I've heard him play on a couple tunes, technically excellent drummer,
    too young, rip

User Info Menu

Vale, Neil!

User Info Menu

RIP NP. He was a drummer's drummer.

User Info Menu

This came out the year I graduated high school. I listened to it a lot on an 8-track while riding around Northeast Mississippi.

User Info Menu

Fantastic musical achievement over a lifetime too short - RIP.

PS: I find it odd that some posters find it necessary to declare that they were not fans or never liked the band before offering their condolence. When someone dies - and in this case someone who has had a decades-long record of artistic and commercial achievement, is respected by his drumming colleagues of all styles, and has inspired countless young people to learn music - it’s not about you. Why is it about you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith
    ...Why is it about you?
    Because everyone is entitled to opinions and I doubt that people that share their opinions are making their remarks solely about themselves. Why post about it all if you don't share opinions of the context?

User Info Menu

Well, I was and still am a big fan of Rush. Sometimes I go back and listen to a Rush, Yes, UK, Jethro Tull album to remind myself I really love music. When I get frustrated about my own playing or my 31 year job of teaching music (to an increasingly high percentage of 19-20 years olds who don't give a damn) I need that.

I think Neil Peart achieved a level of technical mastery to which many should aspire, regardless of style or instrument. I thought his lyrics were very well crafted and thought provoking. I, for one, will miss him terribly.

There, now - another post that was about me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maxsmith

PS: I find it odd that some posters find it necessary to declare that they were not fans or never liked the band before offering their condolence. When someone dies - and in this case someone who has had a decades-long record of artistic and commercial achievement, is respected by his drumming colleagues of all styles, and has inspired countless young people to learn music - it’s not about you. Why is it about you?

or just the opposite!...one might find it most endearing that even people that were not great fans, still have respect for him & mourn his loss!!!

rip np..

(nor is this about you ^ or your ways of viewing things either!!)

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-11-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

An incredible talent! RF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    or just the opposite!...one might find it most endearing that even people that were not great fans, still have respect for him & mourn his loss!!!

rip np..

(nor is this about you ^ or your ways of viewing things either!!)

cheers
    this....

User Info Menu

Well, if you weren't a fan or didn't appreciate what they ( Rush ) were doing ( or even if you did! ) I'd recommend you check out the video" A Work in Progress " I initially watched this a while ago to get an idea of what a drummer might be thinking ( save the jokes folks ) in establishing what he/she plays. Now this video is very percussion centric and it does deal with one Rush album but it really shows how extensively intricate their music is, in particular the considerations that went into composing drum parts, and what a consummate professional he/they were. Just watching it to follow the rhythms and time signatures is worth the exercise. It's all music, and this is at a very high level and one may not be a big fan of the style but often times appreciation comes with understanding.

I believe it can be seen on Youtube.

User Info Menu

To be honest my mine gripe with Rush is Geddy’s voice. Just doesn’t do it for me. Also, I have seen the big Rush documentary and found it to be very interesting.

User Info Menu

Sad to hear. R.i.p. Neil Piert. His nuanced ensemble playing, though seemingly always overlooked by his chops, brought the music up several notches just by itself.

User Info Menu

Someone gave me a cassette of "A Farewell to Kings" in 77 or 78 and it blew my mind. Still love it to this day on my CD. Check out the series "Burning for Buddy" that NP organized/produced.

User Info Menu

RIP Mr. Peart :-( Thank you for all the years of incredible music!