The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Well you guys have got me on a Bach cello kick now! First I listened to a couple of suites played on the cello by Maurice Gendron (the only CDs I have of this on the cello, I think the recordings date from the 1960s but sound very good).

Then I played the prelude from BWV 1010 from the Yates book. Great way to spend a Sunday morning!

Probably going to re-read the Siblin book too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    to stop overeager jobbing accompanists jumping in
    lol I have seen those guys on a few jazz gigs.

User Info Menu

Here's the greatest Bach recording of all time, including the future, and while I'm at it, any multiverse you care to imagine.

User Info Menu

This one is at the summit:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    AFAIK it was Pablo cassals who originally put the suites on the map... and I have to say along with Segovia, that unfashionable early/mid 20th century way of playing Bach, I kind of love it.

It’s hard to imagine pieces so defining of the cello repertoire was obscure until the 20th century... these days when so much as a sneeze of Bach would be recorded in its original site in Leipzig
    by John Eliot Gardner it’s amazing to think that there were obscure corners of the music of a man who might be reasonably argued as the greatest composer of all time....

One question I have (probably for Rob) is on the urtext it says ‘senza bass’ - ie (presumably) without continuo accompaniment. Was Bach the first to do this, or just the one who did it well?

Obviously the unaccompanied solo string pieces are amazing study vehicles for jazz musicians because they show how to outline changes in a single melodic line...
    No, what I said was the suites put Yo-Yo on the map.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    No, what I said was the suites put Yo-Yo on the map.
    Well I suppose it’s been a bit of a rite of passage for cellists since Cassals recorded them. Don’t know about yo-yo.

I like his Silk Road stuff a lot actually.... interesting musician, crossover can be a bit embarrassing, but I think yoyo does it the way it should be.

User Info Menu

Yo-Yo Ma? Had to look it up, but he has 18 Grammy's. The first was in 1985 for Best Instrumental Soloist Performance, then it rained Grammy's from there until 2017. In three of those years he won two Grammy's.

You'll never guess what he played to win that first of many Grammy's in 1985.

User Info Menu

Yo-Yo Ma? Had to look it up, but he has 18 Grammy's. The first was in 1985 for Best Instrumental Soloist Performance, then it rained Grammy's from there until 2017. In three of those years he won two Grammy's.

You'll never guess what he played to win that first of many Grammy's in 1985.
    Haha raining Grammys I like it. 18 is pretty extraordinary. I mean there are other awesome cellists in the world haha. Maybe it’s just the default now....

Grammys are a bit of a US thing, don’t get much coverage over here afaik.

But he’s chosen well with his projects and stuff, I think, the kind of thing that gets attention and then puts him in the running for awards too.

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t the only cellist to make a breakthrough with recordings of those pieces mind. Not sure who else off the top of my head, but they are such iconic pieces now....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Haha raining Grammys I like it. 18 is pretty extraordinary. I mean there are other awesome cellists in the world haha. Maybe it’s just the default now....

Grammys are a bit of a US thing, don’t get much coverage over here afaik.

But he’s chosen well with his projects and stuff, I think, the kind of thing that gets attention and then puts him in the running for awards too.

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t the only cellist to make a breakthrough with recordings of those pieces mind. Not sure who else off the top of my head, but they are such iconic pieces now....
    Euros are nominated for and win lots of classical Grammy's, but to be honest classical Grammy's don't get much attention and the same goes for Jazz. The Grammy's are too busy pandering to hip-hop and pop acts, and present the awards on a music variety show in prime time. They invent new categories frequently to ensure that everyone can win an award, no matter what kind of poo they're slinging out there. It's all about art, of course.

User Info Menu

Euros are nominated for and win lots of classical Grammy's, but to be honest classical Grammy's don't get much attention and the same goes for Jazz. The Grammy's are too busy pandering to hip-hop and pop acts, and present the awards on a music variety show in prime time. They invent new categories frequently to ensure that everyone can win an award, no matter what kind of poo they're slinging out there. It's all about art, of course.
    Sure it doesn’t get much coverage here unless pop stars have a bust up or something. Nothing classical gets much attention tbh.

According to Wikipedia George Solti won the most Grammys - 31!