The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    The lead singer btw was Alex Chilton who was in the Boxtops. A sixties band that had a few hits like
    The Letter and Cry Like a Baby which featured the electric sitar of recently departed Reggie Young.
    "The Letter" was the first 45 I ever bought. I didn't know it at the time but Alex Chilton was just 17 when he sang that song. Loved "Cry Like A Baby" too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have just learned that Lowell George (Little Feat) plays slide guitar on the Meters track, "Just Kissed My Baby." He was not credited on the record but according to Leo Nocentilli (guitarist of The Meters) it was Lowell George playing the slide guitar. Neat.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on NRBQ, the Meters and Big Star.

Also NRPS--"Panama Red", one of the all-time great weed songs.

User Info Menu

I liked a lot of bands that never went anywhere, and I think I can safely say that I followed them to that very same place.
    IF
    Love
    McKendree Spring
    The Free Design
    National Health
    Musica Urbana
    Judee Sill

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

They never made the connection with American audiences that I think their music deserved. (They may have been quite huge in Europe; I dunno.)

A documentary about the band's album "Sunburst Finish" followed by a live TV performance of "Fair Exchange," one of my favorite songs by the band (-though the sound isn't great here.)

User Info Menu

+1 to BeBop Deluxe.

Also Brand X featuring (among others) Phil Collins and John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass. Percy is one of those "bassist's bassists" who is not nearly as well known as he should be.

User Info Menu

Oregon is a group that we don’t talk much about today. Beautiful guitar playing by Ralph Towner and exotic sitar lines by Collin Walcott. ”Ecotopia” from 1987 is a recommended album.

User Info Menu

The Gourds (great songwriters)
    Southern Culture on the Skids (catchy tunes and guitarist Rick Miller plays some great rock and roll guitar)

Two bands I would never have heard about if not for the Oxford American magazine music issue.

User Info Menu

Christoph Oeding Trio is a great group and sadly forgotten today.

User Info Menu

Best unknown rock band I ever heard was The Naughty Sweeties. One great album and great live.

Runner up might be the Shakers, a "yankee reggae" band.

Little Feat was far from unknown, but arguably didn't get the level of recognition they deserved. Great band.

Music fans who were in the Bay Area during the 60's often say that the best band was Sons of Champlin.

I liked the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils. Check out their performance of Tangled Up in Blue.

User Info Menu

The Monochrome Set:

We’ve managed to not really age that much and haven’t really been tied to any particular sound. So even though people will say “Oh, that’s typically Monochrome Set”, we don’t exactly repeat ourselves. I think we COULD have been huge if we’d been around ten years earlier, but as soon as you got into the eighties, people wanted less width from a band. So I don’t think it was ever gonna be possible. Not with our lyrics! But yeah, I think it probably IS good that we didn’t become huge. We wouldn’t have known what to have done with it. It ruins you.

User Info Menu

Best unknown rock band I ever heard was The Naughty Sweeties. One great album and great live.

Runner up might be the Shakers, a "yankee reggae" band.

Little Feat was far from unknown, but arguably didn't get the level of recognition they deserved. Great band.

Music fans who were in the Bay Area during the 60's often say that the best band was Sons of Champlin.

I liked the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils. Check out their performance of Tangled Up in Blue.

Little Feat's problem (with respect to renown) is that Lowell George left the group, and then died very shortly after. The remaining members are certainly very good, but Lowell George was without peer, and irreplaceable.

My candidates for underappreciated greatness:
    Los Lobos.
    Robbie Fulks
    Inara George (Lowell's daughter)
    Chris Cain
    Big Maybelle
    Lee Dorsey

John

User Info Menu

Yes! Los Lobos.

I second that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Yes! Los Lobos.I second that.
    I'll third it!My favorite rock/whatever band.

User Info Menu

Izzy Straddlin got a lot of attention in Guns'n'Roses. Not sure why he left. But I always liked this song by his band The Ju Ju Hounds. Very Stones-y with a nice groove. Well-made record.

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Vinegar Joe with Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer sharing vocals. In my student days I must have seen them half a dozen times, and boy could they rock!

Last edited by Ray175; 01-26-2020 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I'm not very familiar with their music myself but I know the NRBQ are held in high regard.
    I was just talking to my wife about how I regret never seeing NRBQ with her back when we first started dating. Loved them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I was just talking to my wife about how I regret never seeing NRBQ with her back when we first started dating. Loved them.
    I saw NRBQ at a poolside in Daytona in 1982 during a spring break event. Or maybe it was NRPS? The song Panama Red did seem to fit in quite well at the time.

n any event, fun show, and BOTH groups are great and underrated.

User Info Menu

A Band called Grin they started in 70 put out 4 albums and then where dropped by there label and no other company wanted them. So the band leader ( Nils Lofgren ) Joined the E street Band. He is still alive and will do a show now and then. Oh the Stones wanted him to take Keith Richards place if Keith quit. http://<iframe width="862" height="4...lt;/iframe> Its not easy to find there songs on the Web.

User Info Menu

The Wondermints! So refreshing. And here for your listening pleasure:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    A Band called Grin they started in 70 put out 4 albums and then where dropped by there label and no other company wanted them. So the band leader ( Nils Lofgren ) Joined the E street Band.

Nils Lofgren had a solo career for ten years before joining the E Street Band. He also played in Crazy Horse before Grin, and since 2018. He plays on Neil Young’s After the Goldrush, ?Tonight’s the Night and Trans.