The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

New White Album reissue--remastered, with a couple dozen demos and alternate takes that really illuminate the creative process.

That was the first Beatles album I bought on vinyl, in the mid-70's. Still enjoy every song even to this day.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Even Wild Honey Pie?

I interpret that song as double album filler material, and just jackin' around.

User Info Menu

No reply but one so I'd thought I'd let you know: love it myself and still listen to it. We even play a tune or two from that album with our classic rock band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    New White Album reissue--remastered, with a couple dozen demos and alternate takes that really illuminate the creative process.

That was the first Beatles album I bought on vinyl, in the mid-70's. Still enjoy every song even to this day.
    Every song?

Must be love.

User Info Menu

I like the cover.

User Info Menu

Here is something I learned about the white LP, each LP Abby Road The white and Let it Be where all recorded at the same time and the individual Tracks where picked out for each One,and they where produced to fit the LP style

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I like the cover.
    Me too! In fact, I liked it so much, I had a T-shirt made of it!

The Beatles White Album-od-bo055_tshirt_8s_20170523101232-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Even Wild Honey Pie?

I interpret that song as double album filler material, and just jackin' around.
    Yep. Honey Pie and Wild Honey Pie.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up on that new White Album release.

Always liked that album but to tell you the truth, it's hard for me to think of a Beatle's album that I didn't like!

Where that kind of creativity comes from is just baffling to me.

User Info Menu

I didn't know this until later that the Latin word for white is "albus" (masculine), "alba" (feminine) "album" (neuter).

An "alb" is the white garment altar servers wear in a Catholic Church. The albatross in "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" is a large white bird.

So the name "white album" is funny to me in a way it wasn't before.

User Info Menu

Yep. Honey Pie and Wild Honey Pie.
    Honey Pie is a great song. When I play Honey Pie, for the solos I go into a vamp based on Stomping at the Decca since the chord progressions are very similar and I like that 'hot' kind of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I didn't know this until later that the Latin word for white is "albus" (masculine), "alba" (feminine) "album" (neuter).

An "alb" is the white garment altar servers wear in a Catholic Church. The albatross in "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" is a large white bird.

You know I took 5 years of Latin in high school, so I should have thought of this before. The world "album" is derived from the adjectival noun use of that word as a "white thing", i.e., blank slate.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Honey Pie is a great song. When I play Honey Pie, for the solos I go into a vamp based on Stomping at the Decca since the chord progressions are very similar and I like that 'hot' kind of music.
    Most people don't know that John Lennon played the solo on this song, though as I recall he didn't like this song or most of Paul's really pop-oriented stuff on the album. He also hated Obladi-Oblada (as did the other Beatles) but played the sing-song piano part.

They were each pushing the envelope as songwriters and trying to impress their peers in the band. Even though they were moving apart personally, they all had major contributions to each other's songs, sometimes in unusual ways, i.e., George playing 6-string bass on BITUSSR. And Paul played drums on that one and a couple of others.

In the end what we're left with is 4 of the best songwriters of their generation with free reign in one of the best studios in the world with no time or money limits.

User Info Menu

The Esther demos and. Some of. The other content is so expressive. The remix of the album and the Sgt Pepper remix are super. Masters is an understatement. Geniuses maybe more appropriate.

User Info Menu

Number 9

User Info Menu

Number 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

"Album" means "blank book", it''s blank, empty... then you put something in it ...

... early 17th century: from Latin, neuter of albus ‘white’ used as a noun meaning ‘a blank tablet’. Taken into English from the German use of the Latin phrase album amicorum ‘album of friends’ (a blank book in which autographs, drawings, poems, etc. were collected), it was originally used consciously as a Latin word.

User Info Menu

Just out of high school I worked at an amusement park--ran The Scrambler. Great for making people puke, but not great for meeting girls--that would be the roller coaster or ferris wheel. Anyway, I ran into a strawberry blonde gal named Connie who had been on my swim team a few years before. At 14 she was cute; at 18 she was a knockout, in a feracious farmer's daughter kind of way.

I persuaded her to go on a date with me after I got off work. I had my Dad's old '71 Bonneville, and we ended up on some rural dirt road, where we found a quiet place to park and, uh, talk. That car had acres of back seat, by the way. The local prog rock radio station was playing the White Album in its entirety. So far, so good. It was a hot, humid night, the mood was pleasant, and I had hit a single, on my way to steal second. (Wow what a kisser--one of the top 3 I have known for sure. She had just gotten her braces off.)

Then, the song Revolution 9 came on. What had been a slow boil of youthful ardor quickly turned cold. I think her exact words were, "What is that s*** on the radio? You know, it's late now, and I've gotta work tomorrow. Please take me home." Which, being the woke guy that I was and am, I did.

Many love affairs have been consummated to Hey Jude, many children conceived to Something, but in my mind Side 4 of the White Album will forever be associated with being thrown out at second base.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 12-13-2018 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Great Album... We used to play "Back In the USSR" with our band
    I learned "Martha my Dear" to serenade (before she was) my wife..
    Found out later Paul write it for his dog..

User Info Menu

Number 9

User Info Menu

number 9..ohhh dear.."...they are trying to tell us something.." the "hippies" read so many things into that track..conspiracies..the end of the world..on and on it went..of course it helped if you indulged in the mind altering substance of the day and if you played it backwards..all the secret codes were revealed..
    Last edited by wolflen; 12-14-2018 at 08:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Paul is dead

User Info Menu

Loved the White Album. Still do. The whimsy and the wacky alike are part of the charm. YMMV. Its cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    number 9..ohhh dear.."...they are trying to tell us something.." the "hippies" read so many things into that track..conspiracies..the end of the world..on and on it went..of course it helped if you indulged in the mind altering substance of the day and if you played it backwards..all the secret cods were revealed..
    Can't play it backwards on a CD...

:-(

User Info Menu

Can't play it backwards on a CD...

:-(
    Doc...see: mind altering substance of the day ..?no cd player required...

User Info Menu

While my guitar gently weeps..... tears me to pieces every time