The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    They where the voice of an entire generation not locally or in the US, but worldwide .. and the next one too as we grew up with parents listening to The Beatles.
    And the next one, and the next one, etc. When I hear popmusic played around me (boarding school) it's mainly Beatles - although some brought odd things from their countries. That's probably a homesickness side-effect though, for the musical quality... (beurk)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a thought about Beatles' popularity: I think it was their phenomenal rhythm section and vocals that propelled them to the top.

The top bands of the early 60's especially in Britain were kind of stuck in a rut rhythmically. Even in America with its history of RnB the most popular songs were not really that impressive in a rock sense--a lot of the Motown songs of the time were ballads for instance.

The Beatles sound from the beginning had a strong backbeat and bass which were up front. And the harmony vocals...well, their competitors might have been the Hollies in England and the Byrds in America, though I think the Beatles pretty much beat them to the punch with their records, but neither of those groups had the backbone of Starr and McCartney.

The Stones had a similarly strong rhythm section and the charismatic Mr. Jagger. Keef was a good foil for Mick, but he was not equal to the 3 main Beatles singers. Of course they were popular in their own way.

Anyway just a musing for Friday afternoon.

User Info Menu

Isn't it ironic for those that don't appreciate or even know the White Album, that the 2019 anniversary edition was voted the #2 historical album in the 2019 Downbeat reader's poll. Only one to beat it was the "lost" Coltrane album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Isn't it ironic for those that don't appreciate or even know the White Album, that the 2019 anniversary edition was voted the #2 historical album in the 2019 Downbeat reader's poll. Only one to beat it was the "lost" Coltrane album.
    I like the Beatles a lot, but I wouldn't vote for any of theirs to be the #1 historical album over Kind Of Blue, because that one has not even the slightest hint of filler stuff, and every single musician on it is truly impressive, be it through technique or the emotion they evoke; or a combination of both, rather. I'm not saying which one I'd vote for as #2, because I don't want to be ragged on...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Oh sorry, I didn't understand; I confused it with nation-state. Does simultaneous multi-lingual babble get on your nerves too? I have to leave the room after a few minutes when it happens here, which is often and shrill (it's a school), or I get nervous/irritated. Those who only have 1 or 2 have far less difficulty ignoring other languages; to them it's just noise! I won't say which ones so as not to step on any toes, but I'd gladly unlearn a few. Not blasée mind you, just tired of trying to follow everything that's said. Do you have that too or am I cuckoo?
    Actually, I enjoy it. I was at a conference in Vienna last month with a host of international participants. We ended up at a Falafel place speaking German, English and Russian simultaneously, often within the same sentence...

Where is this thread getting to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    To further derail the thread: I didn't think the "lost" Coltrane album was that great. Certainly not worth the hype. I won't compare it to the White Album for peace's sake.

@Zina: I don't think there was a 60th Anniversary ed. of "Kind of Blue", so it probably kind of went under the radar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    @Zina: I don't think there was a 60th Anniversary ed. of "Kind of Blue", so it probably kind of went under the radar.
    Ah yes, true.

Re. the falafel place: I'd have had to put earplugs in or order Aspirine for dessert!

User Info Menu

What's the joke?

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

--Bilingual

So what do you call someone who speaks three langiages?

--Trilingual

And what do you call someone who speaks only one language?

--American

User Info Menu

I have never heard that White Album, I never bought any Beatles records for some reason.

Mind you when I was a kid, Beatles hits were being played on the radio all the time, so I remember hearing quite a lot of their stuff that way.

User Info Menu

Jazz giant Brad Mehldau kinda feels sorry for anyone who never heard the White Album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    To further derail the thread: I didn't think the "lost" Coltrane album was that great. Certainly not worth the hype. I won't compare it to the White Album for peace's sake.

Actually there have been several reissues of Kind of Blue including limited edition vinyl pressings, remasters and with alternate versions.

The legacy edition came out in 2009 and is over 2 hours long, so it would be comparable to a historic release like the White Album remaster.

I like all the Beatles recent remasters, especially the Sergeant Pepper’s, which makes an old album sound new again. The White Album though is not as much of a sonic improvement as the others, which were mixed in a more primitive way. I enjoy demos and alternate versions as much as the next guy and find them of historic interest. However, with the possible exception of Free as a Bird, nothing that has come out since 1970 has been as good as anything they put out before.