The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 314

User Info Menu

I think they each did exactly what they most wanted to do with their talents. With the glaring exception being Jimi who just didn't get the chance to find his own true voice.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Geez ! I could have sworn I'd joined a jazz guitar forum, not a heavy metal schlock guitar forum !
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 11-03-2018 at 07:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    Geez ! I could have sworn I'd joined a jazz guitar forum, not a heavy metal schlock guitar forum !
    Well, technically those guys are not heavy metal, but they sure imspired those who came after and developed what is now known as heavy metal.

In that genre they expanded the use of different guitar techniques, such as tremelo picking, whammy bar dives, rh tapping etc. That and the use of high gain amps was the next step from the original blues rock sound.

Maybe Ritchie Blackmore pushed the guitar more in that direction than your regular HendrixPageBeckClapton.

So hopefully it helps to eleiminate the confusion, Mark.

..and you're welcome!

"heavy metal schlock guitar" Are you serious?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    "heavy metal schlock guitar" Are you serious?
    You must be new, you don't know MarkInLA! It's quite hilarious IMO, take it with good humor.

User Info Menu

I saw Hendrix at the Electric Factory in Phila. in 1968. It wasn't my 1st concert; I'd seen the Beach Boys play in Asbury Park, NJ (with the Youngbloods opening up) before that, but Hendrix was something else altogether. No one had heard anything like him before - one of a kind - really no comparison at the time... Of course, thru the lens of time, I guess his impact is somewhat diminished, but in his time he was the one.

User Info Menu

Thread in the wrong place? Well let's not FRET about it...

Get it? Fret??

Ahem. Sorry to string you along.

Will post more about it later, but in the interest of time let me just point out that Jimi played the ENTIRE Sgt Pepper's album the day after it came out, having only heard it once. There are some recordings of his playing the Beatles out there--not sure if it's this exact performance.

In other words, what an ear the guy had.

I will say that each of these guys in their prime was awesome for slightly different reasons. And all still worth listening to today.

BTW another name to add to the list--Carlos Santana. Listening to Santana's first 3 albums the last 2 days...what an incendiary player, and what great tone. I would put a half-dozen Carlos albums up against albums from any of the above guys for guitar wankery.

User Info Menu

Speaking of wankary...

And here is Greg Koch’s take on Jimi...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Found a couple of versions by the Leaves and one by Led Zeppelin. I think that this Leaves version might have been pre-Hendrix. Probably the coolest version of the song that I have ever heard. The Led Zeppelin version aptly illustrates the difference between Hendrix and Page. No comparison IMHO. I wouldn't go as far to say that Page is a one trick pony, but his horse is a lot smaller than Jimi's.

Note the mis-credit for the songwriter on the single label.

EDIT: I added the Byrds' version which I find somewhat uninteresting. I have never been a huge Byrds fan anyway.

You're right, The Leaves 's one wins for me too! Very British rock sound, I can hear The Who, The Yardbirds influences...

Led Zep is totally different vibe, close to Hendrix... it's great, but I'm just not very much into hippy jamming anymore, I like tight arrangements and strong rhythm guitar. OTOH I think I prefer Page's licks over Hendrix's.

The Byrds is pretty lame though, how they even famous?

User Info Menu

In my mind there have been very few guitarist who have touched and altered as many genre of music as Jimi Hendrix. Yes, he was a rock star -- yet his impact on jazz, soul, R&B, blues, and in some ways indie, folk and reggae music cannot be denied. You can even hear his influence on acoustic artists like Jack Johnson, and while not noticed as much, I believe he even had his own way of expressing country music with his unique feel on songs like the Wind Cries Mary.

But this is a jazz forum so in the spirit of tagging this thread with a somewhat more jazz connection, here are some excerpts about parallels between Jimi Hendrix and John Coltrane. This is from a commentary in the Free Jazz Collective by a fellow who goes by the handle “stef”.

---------

"It was a coincidence, or maybe not, that in the sixties two musicians transformed their traditional music drastically, turning it inside out and upside down, turning tunes into art.

"The first was John Coltrane, the second Jimi Hendrix.

"What they did was comparable: unleash deepfelt emotions, re-inventing what they knew, re-think the scales, deconstruct and recreate, pushing the boundaries. Music before that time did not have the same expressive quality it has now. What we take for granted today, was unheard of before these two geniuses.

"What has Hendrix got to do with jazz? Well, nothing with jazz per se, but surely with free jazz. He could just let go of rhythm and harmony and just do his thing on stage, exploring the unlimited potential of sound and impact, while always falling back on his feet."

If you wish, to read the whole commentary, you can find it here: Jimi Hendrix ~ The Free Jazz Collective

User Info Menu

I have the Gil Evans album where he directs an orchestra to play Hendrix tunes. I agree with the article about it being a poor copy. I kinda have an idea of what Evans was trying to do. I think some of it sounds more like a farce than anything else though.

This leads to an interesting observation. I don't recall any original Hendrix recordings that had added strings or horns. Groups like the Beatles and the Stones used them. Interesting that Hendrix did not. However, if you listen to the Gil Evans album you might see why.

Oh, and I know this is a jazz guitar forum. I choose not to complain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Why is this in the Guitars, Amps, and Gizmo section and not the Players section?
    Maybe it's because that's all it deserves ....I mean, where's the music ? Where's the JAZZ ? M.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have the Gil Evans album where he directs an orchestra to play Hendrix tunes. I agree with the article about it being a poor copy. I kinda have an idea of what Evans was trying to do. I think some of it sounds more like a farce than anything else though.

This leads to an interesting observation. I don't recall any original Hendrix recordings that had added strings or horns. Groups like the Beatles and the Stones used them. Interesting that Hendrix did not. However, if you listen to the Gil Evans album you might see why.

Oh, and I know this is a jazz guitar forum. I choose not to complain.
    When Jimi died, he had a number of projects in the works. One, in a jazz direction, was to do an album with Gil Evans. While that never happened, Gil, later on, chose to do an album of Hendrix tunes as a tribute. The album falls short to be sure, but I think had the chance for the two of them to collaborate have happened, the result would have been special.

User Info Menu

Maybe it's because that's all it deserves ....I mean, where's the music ? Where's the JAZZ ? M.
    If you cannot hear the jazz chords Jimi used all over the Axis album, you may be beyond help as a jazz musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    When Jimi died, he had a number of projects in the works. One, in a jazz direction, was to do an album with Gil Evans. While that never happened, Gil, later on, chose to do an album of Hendrix tunes as a tribute. The album falls short to be sure, but I think had the chance for the two of them to collaborate have happened, the result would have been special.
    I was aware of that, but from the sounds of the Evans album, I don't think that the two of them talked about it much. My opinion. That said, I kinda doubt that Hendrix would have wanted to do a record with Evans of songs that Hendrix had already previously recorded, so, yeah, it could have been great with new material.

User Info Menu

Here's a story for you. Larry Coryell was playing at the Gas Light on Macdougal Street in Greenwich Village. Across the street was a smaller venue, Cafe Wha? Coryell was a fairly established guy, at that point (1966), who was third-streaming jazz and rock. He was one of the early guitarists doing the "fusion" thing.

Anyway, between sets he got up and crossed the street to see who was playing at the "Wha?" (Some folks make out Cafe Wha? to be a small dive, but though it was small it was where Dylan got his start in NYC.) Coryell walked in and was blown away. He sat down and listened to Jimmy James and the Blue Flames. Coryell's later description was that he thought his career was over, that he should just lose his guitar. He thought Hendrix was miles ahead on the fusion of rock and jazz. According to Coryell, he went out that evening and used heroin for the first time--he became a pretty bad addict for a time.

Now I don't know...I'm not as competent to judge fusion as Larry Coryell was. If Larry Coryell thought Hendrix was the guy, I am willing to bet that he was. Miles, too, thought this to be the case. Davis wanted Hendrix-like guitarists in his organization for many years after hearing him. (Landing Johnny Mac, though, wasn't a bad "get.")

And _that's_ why at least Jimi belongs in this thread. Now, one could argue that the thread could be relocated under players, but...

Oh...and Steve Cropper!

User Info Menu

Well got a break in the work action for awhile...

I don't agree with people who complain so and so isn't like he was in his prime. Who IS?? That's why it's called the PRIME. The smart ones like Clapton and Beck and Knopfler and so on find a way to keep going even after the "Clapton is GOD" thing has run its course.

The less fortunate ones burn out AND fade away, or die of self-neglect at age 40. Or hang themselves in their garage.

Very, very few people continue that incendiary talent into their middle years and beyond. Wayne Shorter comes to mind right now. Chick Corea. Jeff Beck if pure chops are the criterion. But most artists mellow with age. And the phrase "lightning in a bottle"--hard to capture that a second time.

Clapton--electrified the blues for a mass audience in a way that hadn't been done before. His best work was 40 years ago, but he has produced many, many good albums since then, even his most recent. His albums with Steve Winwood and the reunited Cream showed his chops were still there. (I saw him with Winwood about 5 years ago--great show.) And as a singer he remains one of the best of his time. He has certainly blended more different styles of music than the other guys, veering into country, tin-pan alley, boogie, old-time acoustic blues, etc.

Beck--the most technically brilliant who has continued to expand his vocabulary even to this day. Never quite as famous as the others. I agree the old JBG and Wired-era stuff was the best. His recent albums are pretty good, and the Guitar Party album was great. I don't find his more metal-oriented stuff as compelling as the others, but it's not for lack of talent. He looks about as old as he did back in the 60's, which is some kind of statement I guess.

Page--equal to Jimi in my book for pure enjoyment of tone and riffs. THE riff king--often imitated, never exceeded. A great talent for production and overall SOUND of the group. His playing live was kind of sloppy, but that's not a problem in my book. Listen to How the West Was Won for Page in his prime. He and Plant are both very intellectual dudes, as you can tell from their interviews. His post-Zepp output has not been that prodigious or impressive, with a few exceptions, which is kind of surprising. Kind of coasted on his laurels I guess. He doesn't seem unhappy when I see him on TV.

Jimi--well, what else can be said? There was before Jimi and there was after. Jimi brought the sexuality to the guitar. Sure T-Bone did it first, but maybe a couple thousand people saw and heard him play, whereas Jimi showed millions how playing the guitar was like having sex. Back in the day I thought Robin Trower did a pretty good Jimi act, but no one really plays like him. SRV and others have taken inspiration from him, but they don't play like him. With Jimi you got the idea there were no limits to what a guitar could sound like on a record or in real life. For the time when he came along he was like a match to gasoline, giving so many people the freedom to play guitar, make noise, just to be free spirits. Are You Experienced? That was the question of the 60's and beyond.

User Info Menu

Hendrix was a force of nature who influenced lots of people outside of rock blues, in ways that we're maybe still not aware of. That said, if you hear "jazz chords all over Axis", I wanna know where you got that acid

User Info Menu

I have played Axis chords all over jazz for decades, not the other way around. I work Hendrix into jazz stuff all the time. Jazz can be pretty receptive to the R&B/blues/rock stuff that Jimi did.

About the only chord that Jimi routinely employed that you see in a jazz chart, I guess, would be the augmented 9th.

User Info Menu

It's Jimi for me. His influence and talent is still with us.
    I have two friends who are musicians and have young families. One named his first born son "Jimi" and the second friend named his first born son "Hendrix". This says it all.

User Info Menu

By the way- that 7th chord with a sharp 9 is still called "the Jimi Hendrix chord"

User Info Menu

Quiz time: What did Downbeat Magazine readers think of rock guitarist Hendrix during his lifetime? Well these dyed-in-the-wool jazz fans picked Hendrix as the winner of the 1970 Downbeat Hall of Fame Readers poll -- right between Ornette Coleman (1969) and Charles Mingus (1971). 1970 was also the year Miles’ Bitches Brew was picked as record of the year. Lots of musical changes going on then and maybe these listeners understood a thing or two...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    In my mind there have been very few guitarist who have touched and altered as many genre of music as Jimi Hendrix. Yes, he was a rock star -- yet his impact on jazz, soul, R&B, blues, and in some ways indie, folk and reggae music cannot be denied. You can even hear his influence on acoustic artists like Jack Johnson, and while not noticed as much, I believe he even had his own way of expressing country music with his unique feel on songs like the Wind Cries Mary...

"The first was John Coltrane, the second Jimi Hendrix

"What has Hendrix got to do with jazz? Well, nothing with jazz per se, but surely with free jazz. He could just let go of rhythm and harmony and just do his thing on stage, exploring the unlimited potential of sound and impact, while always falling back on his feet."

If you wish, to read the whole commentary, you can find it here: Jimi Hendrix ~ The Free Jazz Collective
    Really true ...

I have to admit I especially love these two no matter what I have been listening to or playing.
    Any time either I or some one else plays anything by either of them - my ears light up and I remember how important their music has been for my whole life. No other artists work on me that way... i love music - listen all time to a big range new and old but nothing ever touches as deep.
    Love this

hendrix jazz chord... 066470. Move it around it will surprise you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    By the way- that 7th chord with a sharp 9 is still called "the Jimi Hendrix chord"
    It's known by that name to rock musicians. See Debussy and probably before him.

User Info Menu

These who's greater than whom threads always make me sleepy...