The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 314

User Info Menu

Hendrix: Used to watch the Monterey Pop show before gigs to pump up, loved the gum chewing and
    confidence, also the lighter fluid, Wild Thing "Awe shucks... I love you" pure passion but sometimes
    sounded like crap.

Page: Live on "The song remains the same" some of his soloing is freakishly good, but he made everybody
    in my generation want to have a super long strap and play down by their knees, for that alone, he is out...

Clapton: Loved his work with Cream, get's added Papawooly props for screaming "An Imaginary Knight?"
    during live version of "Have you ever loved a woman" from E.C. was here, but is also disqualified from
    consideration due to the super loud ubiquitous 60Hz hum heard throughout that same live album.

Beck: Was my favorite among these 4 for great work such as "Truth" and "Blow by Blow" but hated the
    Sir George Martin "Wired" and everything else after that, sounds like a couple of feral cats got stuck in
    a clothes dryer...

Yup, that's me in a nutshell, I love everybody until inevitably, they do something off-putting.

So for the final tally... Hendrix (junkie) Clapton (Junkie) Page (Junkie)
    Beck...loves Beer and working on classic cars... Beck wins.

Could somebody shut off that dryer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's not about who is best.
    It's about who is bestest!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matcarsa
    Trump vs Clinton vs Obama vs Schwarzie
    KFC vs Mcdonalds vs Burger King vs Carl's Jr
    Carlsberg vs Bud vs Foster vs Heinken
    The best: Obama
    The worst: A tie between Heineken and Trump

User Info Menu

Hendrix changed my life... Before that, I was playing a nylon-string guitar, strumming singer-songwriter stuff of my own, and covering 40s-50s country and rockabilly, even some 60s beat music. He changed not only my musical dreams, but how I acted and my views. I was an outsider in middle school and secondary school, and when he sung "I'm gonna wave my freak flag high", something clicked. His influence really helped me feel alright about myself at the time. Plus, the ways he played guitar, man. Even today, Jimi does Jimi best. For a few years, I went away from that music and considered it a part of my past, but recently I listened through some of my old favorites. Still absolutely spine-tingling. Shame on me for forgetting where I came from!

The bit from 1:45 and out in "if 6 was 9", from which the aforementioned quote stems, swings and grooves like mad. I didn't know at the time how jazzy it was with its 8th note bassing

User Info Menu

My first concert was Jimi Hendrix in Honolulu 1968. It was something I'll never forget. I love the other players but would not try to compare what I saw to anyone. I think if you asked all the others they would all tell you Hendrix was their favorite.

User Info Menu

I'm going to piss in the punch bowl, here.

I'll take Steve Cropper over the Big Four...and I still greatly enjoy the Big Four. Cropper, though, could play "pocket" all day long and serve the song. His rhythms and licks were precisely what was called for. If you can add or subtract a note from "Tic Tac Toe," "Green Onions," "Time Is Tight," etc., or "Dock of the Bay," "Try A Little Tenderness," etc., you are hearing something I am not.

Cropper's the guy.

User Info Menu

Three of these guys (Hendrix, Clapton and Beck) were/are (mostly) Strat players. Page, while known as a Les Paul player did his best work (IMO) with a Tele. There, I have tied this thread to the gear column!

Not that I advocate doing illegal drugs, but if you have not heard Hendrix under the influence of LSD, you have not heard Hendrix. Just sayin'

And I in no way want to promote promiscuity, but if you have not listened to Page/Plant and the boys while engaged in the pleasures of the flesh, well, you should try that. Even if you are not impressed by the guitar playing, you will have a great time. :-)

Hendrix was a great innovator in the history of rock guitar. The other three are (mostly) White, English popularizers of Afro-American blues guitar playing (and I think all three would cop to that). The work that Clapton did with Cream and Blind Faith are epic, as is the work that Page did with Led Zeppelin. Beck was part of the 70's fusion movement in jazz, though more from the rock school than the jazz school.

All four are great players in the history of the guitar. All of our tastes vary, so one may like these guys in different order or may not like one or more of them. But for any keyboard commandos on an online guitar forum to trash talk the guitar playing of any of these masters is an example of poor taste to put it mildly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

Not that I advocate doing illegal drugs, but if you have not heard Hendrix under the influence of LSD, you have not heard Hendrix. Just sayin'
    They say the day of the famous Monterey Pop show, Mr. Owsley showed up with a "fresh batch of tabs"
    Mama Cass was "allegedly" so wasted she could just watch mouth opened as Janis destroyed the notion
    that girls can't rock...

... then "again allegedly" Jimi said.. "I'll take two" ...this is what happened next...

Just your everyday run-of-the-mill concert stuff...

User Info Menu

Hendrix.

(period)
    Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Page vs. Jeff Beck vs. Jimi Hendrix-446ae839-38b5-400d-8edc-e7326aef25b5-jpeg

User Info Menu

Jimi changed everything, i'm still bitter about his lifestyle choices (that is why I picked the still living
    beer drinker Jeff Beck above) but he was/is still the most influential guitar player EVER

When Jimi Hendrix arrived in London in 1966 he blew the minds of Clapton, Beck and Page. They'd soon follow his lead and develop an explosive new form of electric blues...

Jimi Hendrix: 'He pulled the rug out from under Cream' | Louder

User Info Menu

The greatest sets at Monterey were Otisville Redding and Hendrix. This was memorialized on the Reprise album Live at Monterey: Otisville Redding (Steve Cropper) on sidemand one, Hendrix on side two.

User Info Menu

Clapton was always an inspiration and his ability to phrase blue notes and do those incredibly bends was the hook that got me. He's more accomplished than many give him credit. I saw I'm in the 80s and then a couple of years ago. I wish I'm still doing that into my 70s.

Beck got to me later. The work he did commenting Les Paul was fun and to work on cars, not give 2 shits about commercial success, quit the Yardbirds in the middle of a US tour because he was tired of being sick (and then shacking up with some chick) says it all. Love his work with Ronnie and Rodney but the record he did with Rosie a couple of years back is a favorite of mine.

Page inspires me at times, but not really as a musician so much as a producer. How he had the entire 1st Zep Lp all worked out in advance and how he hung to a tight budget, recording the entire piece in days, is cool.

Hendrix is fine. Love some of his work. Just could never warm up to the heavier stuff.

User Info Menu

The History of Electric Guitar can be said in four words: Charlie Christian, Jimi Hendrix.

There I said it.
    Now let the dung fly.

User Info Menu

Love me some Hendrix, but as a kid I forgot about all those guys once I heard what Jan Akkerman, Steve Howe and John Mclaughlin were doing. Much more interesting and inspiring, to me, anyway.

Silly a** thread

User Info Menu

Damn, Stringswinger, I want to hang out with you! cheers

User Info Menu

Jimi freaked everyone out in the rock and roll world (and beyond in some cases) when he "arrived" in the UK in the mid-late 60s. Of course, Jeff Beck was not playing like this back then. Blew me away:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Love me some Hendrix, but as a kid I forgot about all those guys once I heard what Jan Akkerman, Steve Howe and John Mclaughlin were doing. Much more interesting and inspiring, to me, anyway.

Silly a** thread
    Oh yeah Jan Akkerman! Loved his playing, could be so melodic and lyrical one moment, then really wailing and burning the next. Plus the odd bit of classical guitar and lute thrown in. He was my favourite for a long time when I was in my teens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Damn, Stringswinger, I want to hang out with you! cheers
    Thanks Marwin.

Hendrix changed my life along with four other guitar players.

I heard the Beatles in 1964 and John Lennon was an instant hero to my six year old self. I knew then that I wanted to be a guitar player (still do!). Then in 1968 I heard Hendrix. At ten years old, just starting to play the guitar, Hendrix made me want to be a great guitar player (I still aim for that!). Then in 1973, I heard Wes Montgomery and at 15, I knew I wanted to be a great JAZZ guitar player (I am working on it, I tell you!). A year later at sixteen, I heard Joe Pass and knew I wanted to be a great solo Jazz player in addition to being a great rock and jazz ensemble player (one can hope!) and in 2002, at forty-four, I heard Bireli Lagrene and had my last guitar epiphany. In addition to all else, I wanted to be a great ACOUSTIC jazz player (there is still time!).

I think I would have become an even better guitar player than I am if girls and motorcycles had not distracted me so much, but I am eternally thankful for those distractions. And I remain eternally thankful to Hendrix as he was one of the guys who gave me a lantern and showed me the path.

User Info Menu

There's a video interview with John M.(Mahavishnu) where he says he took Miles to a Hendrix show. He said all Miles said was "Damn...Damn...).

User Info Menu

Always loved Hendrix for the power, passion and vision

Clapton always sounds dated - yep the blues came to England and you liked it and adopted that sound - got it !

Page cleverly grafted the blues rock riff thing and the surrounding theatrics which heralded even more theatrics see - Hairbands /Van Halen/AC/DC etc etc

Beck - he owes John McLaughlin a favor for nudging him towards that Wired/Blow by Blow pseudo jazz sound otherwise its all .......

If we are talking about early innovators in the rock blues amplified electric guitar thing!!! realm then the list is all wrong Two words - Roy Buchanan!!!!

Plaid pants are cool!!!! Hear him out he has some serious stuff to say )

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    My first concert was Jimi Hendrix in Honolulu 1968. It was something I'll never forget. I love the other players but would not try to compare what I saw to anyone. I think if you asked all the others they would all tell you Hendrix was their favorite.
    agreed all the others are great rock blues players

But Jimi was the game changer ...

I mean , his chord melody playing on Axis
    Castles little wing etc was sublime wasn't it ?

User Info Menu

Mike Bloomfield

User Info Menu

My 2 cents:

Hendrix - great phrasing in all aspects. Too bad he didn't live longer to give us more.

Clapton - great power blues rock based on the turmoil in his life until he became a sad bore (bit harsh I know, but it's the internet) anything post 1976 = sad bore. EDIT: I think that I could take all the way to 1981's Another Ticket. Later stuff like the Johnson Sessions is kind of cool. Pretty good technical RJ stuff without being over produced at all. All of it in a different league than much earlier stuff though.

Beck - really masterful techniques. Different because not a vocalist, but I don't enjoy some of his work that has vocals. People Get Ready with Rod Stewart is great and I am sure there are other good ones, but I have more than one Jeff Beck CD with tacky vocal songs. I don't like em. Always seems to be pushing the envelope at electric guitar with great results IMHO. Still very blues based.

Page - also not a vocalist. Some really great stuff when he had his vision of Led Zeppelin going. Can still play, but has really not been prolific by any means for putting out much since the band stopped recording. Bits here and there I guess.
    Last edited by lammie200; 11-01-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Beck, best overall player, made as much music I find uninteresting as music I think is awesome.

Hendrix, most visceral and entertaining. If I could only listen to one of the 4, itd be him.

Page...I dunno, wrote some good tunes other people wrote first?

Clapton...uhhh...Blind Faith was pretty cool. Hasn't made any relevant music in 30 something years.
    Agree, Beck skilled player, boring.

Hendrix entertaining, powerful.

Page, disagree, first album (great guitar), derivative/rip-off, then moved on.

Clapton brilliant re-inventor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitrman
    I thought this was a JAZZ guitar website.
    And the GEAR PORTION of the forum too...