The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Great thread, made me remember just how rich Russian music heritage is, what giants we had! Even though, sometimes I have a funny feeling, when it comes to being a jazz musician coming from Russia, it's almost like being a hockey player from Brazil haha.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a lesser known Stravinsky piece that's among my favorites. I lived with a composer for some time who was critical of Stravinsky's later work. He called it complicit when compared to this early stuff and his serial stuff. As someone who appreciates modernism but also finds it ridiculous and self-indulgent at times, I absolutely LOVE this period of Stravinsky's compositions.

By the way, if you go to 8:14 in the cantata clip above, you may recognize it if you listen to Jeff Parker (channeling Mr Beaumont). He used that motif in his latest record The New Breed.

Check out 2:19 on this track.

User Info Menu

One of my fav classical pieces ever, Prelude in G min by Rachmaninoff. I heard it first as a soundtrack in an old Soviet movie The Elder Son, which is brilliant on its own, alas obscure for the Western audience... But it made a powerful and deep story of the play even more profound, this music...

I wish I could play it on guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    No I had no idea, popular for good reason I’d say. I was listening through all the quartets and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Not aware of DSCH theme or dedication story
    Some info here:

String Quartet No. 8 (Shostakovich) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes - DSCH (D. Schostakovitsch in German transliteration) = D-ES-C-H main them of the quartet - also reference to famous B-A-C-H theme
    (the quartet was finished in Dresden during Bach festival)
    SH. music is full of quotes and allusions.

Also about dedication I am not sure it is mentioned in English Wiki.
    SH. wrote in a letter to his frieand Isaac Glikman that he would like to dedicate the quartet 'In the memory of the author' - the letter is both ironical and serious (for ecample he says that he cried when he played it for the first time on piano (he composed always without instrument and played it only when the work was finished).
    And then he adds that he pured as many tears as one purs urine after a few good glasses of beer)))

Later he had to make official dedication to the victims of fascism

You know this Allegro theme always sounded jewish to me.. actually I often find in his music motives that sound similar to Eastern Europe jewish music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    One of my fav classical pieces ever, Prelude in G min by Rachmaninoff. I heard it first as a soundtrack in an old Soviet movie The Elder Son, which is brilliant on its own, alas obscure for the Western audience... But it made a powerful and deep story of the play even more profound, this music...

I wish I could play it on guitar!

Ha... when I fisrt watched the movie as a kid I could not find that Prelude becasue in teh movie it orchestrated and I was lookign for it among symphonic works

You know once Prokofiev came to Richter and Richter played Rakhmaninos's etudes and Prfokovief asked:
    How can you play these little excriments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Ha... when I fisrt watched the movie as a kid I could not find that Prelude becasue in teh movie it orchestrated and I was lookign for it among symphonic works

You know once Prokofiev came to Richter and Richter played Rakhmaninos's etudes and Prfokovief asked:
    How can you play these little excriments?
    Oh yeeah it was orchestrated thats right! I think to fit some movie scenes better... But who did the orchestration, sure not the composer?? Not a simple task either way!

User Info Menu

In an intro to our recent performance of Glazunov’s 1st Symphony, the speaker noted that in the first half of the 19th C Russia was nowhere musically speaking. They made up for that in the 2nd half of the 19th and into the 20th with the likes of Glaz, Borodin, Mussorgsky, R-K, Rach, Prok, Strav, Tchaik, and Shostakovich. That’s quite a musical heritage.

One of my favourite musical moments is from Prok’s Romeo and Juliet suite, La Jeune Juliet movement. It’s a stunningly lovely musical picture of the young Juliet (who, we recall, is supposed to be 16 years old in the play).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    In an intro to our recent performance of Glazunov’s 1st Symphony, the speaker noted that in the first half of the 19th C Russia was nowhere musically speaking. They made up for that in the 2nd half of the 19th and into the 20th with the likes of Glaz, Borodin, Mussorgsky, R-K, Rach, Prok, Strav, Tchaik, and Shostakovich. That’s quite a musical heritage.

One of my favourite musical moments is from Prok’s Romeo and Juliet suite, La Jeune Juliet movement. It’s a stunningly lovely musical picture of the young Juliet (who, we recall, is supposed to be 16 years old in the play).
    Official conception is that it all begins with Glinka... but there was Russian music before it in baroque style which is now being perfomed by early music player, sometimes it has even Russian folk themes.

Glinka also used European musical language - he just adapted it to Russian plots and used folk intonations and melodies. That founded the trend: Russian compositional school became a branch of European music.

The only true exception is Musorgsky, he is as authentic as can be. It seems that he composed mostly just picking up music by ear (as well as Wagner probably) - he does not use conventional forms or consistent harmonic language.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans was of Russian heritage. His friend Glenn Gould called him "the Scriabin of Jazz".