The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I am also a die hard Allmans Fan - big time. I wore out a few Fillmore Albums from my teens into my mid 40’s copying every Duane and Dicky lead solo. I still have 30 year old Coricedin glass bottles for my slide guitar. My original 76’ Les Paul is unplayable due to ruts in the frets. It sits in its case with the original $350 Bill of Sale.

To me Duane Allman - was the most innovative electric guitar player of his time.

From an originality standpoint - his creative slide guitar phrasing is still unsurpassed . Yes, Trucks copies him the best - but his creativity, inventive phrasing and driving energy is not the same as Duane. Duane was a phenomenal musician and mimicked the sound of Harp players -

The Allmans were an aberration of talent - the sum of the individual parts was just explosive. Butch Trucks freight train driving percussion with Berry’s pounding beat supporting Duane and Dickey’s interplay were unsurpassed. The funny this is , they played simple pentatonic leads - but it’s how they phrased the notes , the string bending and emotion was off the charts. You can see this on old Fillmore footage on YouTube.

Copying Duane requires the upmost in emotion and energy , or it doesn’t sound like him. For those wanting to try this out - learn every subtlety in Stormy Monday , or the explosive take in Hot Lanta . It took me years to really nail down Duanes bending technique - which involved bending the strings before actually picking , then pulling off with a smooth vibrato. Listen to beginning solo of dreams and you will hear this.

47 years after Fillmore - the Allmans music is still alive and well and played throughout many clubs today. Before I leave this life - I would love to visit Rose Hill and pay my respects.

My favorite band ever !
    Very well said. And I'll bet your guitar playing is damn good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ABB was one of the reasons for starting playing guitar. When I was a small boy, I heard revival on my fathers radio. It was the first record that I bought. One of those 45 RPM singles. The guitars of Duane and Dicky were awesome. But dont forget Berry with his tractor bass and the double drum duo Jaimoe and Butch. Man oh man. And the hammond of Gregg and his dramatic voice. I could and can still listen for hours to the ABB. But also the later crew with Derek and Warren. Derek is one of the worlds best present slide guitar players. Desdemona is one of my favorite tracks. Funny where Warren changes from Les Paul to 335 after the intro...
    Too bad it is all history now. Just keep the memories up you brothers and sisters ! Long live ABB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Duane Allman and Dicky Betts both played Les Pauls, if I recall correctly. Unusual that both guitarists in a band played the same guitar.
    Well, not always. Duane also had an ES-335 and early on Dickey played the SG that Duane later used for slide. Duane bought it so that Dickey could buy the gold-top Les Paul. Duane had two Les Pauls, one plainer the other with pronounced flame; the plainer one is on the Fillmore East record. I read an interview with Dickey where he said for the way they played together, having the same type of guitars worked better. A lot of Duane's studio work was played on a Strat, but I don't know if he ever played that guitar with the Allmans.

Interesting stories- one of Duane's Les Pauls went to Gregg and then he sold it to Twiggs Lyndon in trade for a car. When it was refretted, the old frets were hammered into the back of the guitar spelling out "Duane." I don't know if it was that one or the other one that ended up sheet rocked into a wall at (IIRC) Steve Morse's studio for safekeeping, to be given to his daughter Galadriel when she grew up. Dickey reportedly has Duane's Dobro.

I've never played a Les Paul that I found physically comfortable. Bummer, because I really love that sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, not always. Duane also had an ES-335 and early on Dickey played the SG that Duane later used for slide. Duane bought it so that Dickey could buy the gold-top Les Paul. Duane had two Les Pauls, one plainer the other with pronounced flame; the plainer one is on the Fillmore East record. I read an interview with Dickey where he said for the way they played together, having the same type of guitars worked better. A lot of Duane's studio work was played on a Strat, but I don't know if he ever played that guitar with the Allmans.

Interesting stories- one of Duane's Les Pauls went to Gregg and then he sold it to Twiggs Lyndon in trade for a car. When it was refretted, the old frets were hammered into the back of the guitar spelling out "Duane." I don't know if it was that one or the other one that ended up sheet rocked into a wall at (IIRC) Steve Morse's studio for safekeeping, to be given to his daughter Galadriel when she grew up. Dickey reportedly has Duane's Dobro.

I've never played a Les Paul that I found physically comfortable. Bummer, because I really love that sound.
    You're right, of course. I know he played Strats and even Teles earlier in his career, and I think I saw him playing a 335. But it's safe to say he primarily played Les Pauls during his peak period.

Today I took out a Les Paul Standard that I've hardly played in recent years. Felt a little funny but sounded great, though it doesn't fit the music I'm playing these days. Debating whether to sell i tor wait for the other music to come back to me again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    You're right, of course. I know he played Strats and even Teles earlier in his career, and I think I saw him playing a 335. But it's safe to say he primarily played Les Pauls during his peak period.

Today I took out a Les Paul Standard that I've hardly played in recent years. Felt a little funny but sounded great, though it doesn't fit the music I'm playing these days. Debating whether to sell i tor wait for the other music to come back to me again.
    Yes, the Les Paul is the one in my mind's eye. The photos of him with the Strat or the 335 are actually kind of jarring to me.

As for that Les Paul Standard: I've never regretted *not* selling a guitar...

User Info Menu

Glad to see so much love for the Allman brothers on here. I've also been a fan since I was a kid, I remember skipping class to get stoned and listen to "mountain jam" start to finish in high school. I definitely think that listening to the allman's paved the way for me to get into the coltrane quartet. They definitely used some interesting modal things on mountain jam that I hadn't really heard previously, flat 6ths and 2nds and such.

One of my favorite bands and major influence to pick up the guitar. Totally agree with the comments that Dickey Betts is underrated. Love his playing/style. Got to meet him backstage and treasure my signed les paul pick guard. Now I have to find a guitar worthy of it. It probably belongs in a frame. My band is fully aware that I look forward to playing One Way Out at every one of our gigs. It won't be removed from our set list (or else).

User Info Menu

Macon County? How about the entire south! But I do agree Duane and Dicky taught me so much about how to play lead electric guitar tastefully and have fun, and play beautiful acoustic blues too. And how to play rocking music, how to have a band jam tastefully, how to have your band play great blues and on and on and on. You nailed it.

User Info Menu

The Allman Brothers-c0ac62da-eb0e-499f-a21f-769620a61123-jpgThe Allman Brothers-68721d43-cc5b-44d0-8e57-2bdd66aea962-jpg

I was in NYC a few weeks back and visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and they happened to have an exhibit Called “Play It Loud” which displayed iconic, historic guitars. This took my breath away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I was in NYC a few weeks back and visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and they happened to have an exhibit Called “Play It Loud” which displayed iconic, historic guitars. This took my breath away.
    Goose bumps

User Info Menu

The latter day Bros on the Tonight Show- four tunes over two separate visits, two tunes with the Tonight Show Orchestra horns. Never saw this before- Doc, Dickey and Warren. Dayum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VUSqq3jls

I've always thought Liz Reed would make a slamming big band tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The latter day Bros on the Tonight Show- four tunes over two separate visits, two tunes with the Tonight Show Orchestra horns. Never saw this before- Doc, Dickey and Warren. Dayum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2VUSqq3jls

I've always thought Liz Reed would make a slamming big band tune.
    That LP gold top fit Dickie Betts like a glove.

User Info Menu

I confess that, to my ears, Allman, Clapton, and especially Garcia, are three very boring guitarists. I'd much rather listen to Hendrix or Page. Even George Harrison and Keith Richards, with their limited technique, played more interesting stuff. Tastes differ I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I confess that, to my ears, Allman, Clapton, and especially Garcia, are three very boring guitarists. I'd much rather listen to Hendrix or Page. Even George Harrison and Keith Richards, with their limited technique, played more interesting stuff. Tastes differ I guess.
    Certainly agree about Gracia, boring gtr in a boring band. But Allman (and regardelss saying it on ABB appreciation thread is kinda bad) and especially Clapton, how? Those guys could tell the stories in their solos, Clapton still does.

Except the OP saying 2 guitar thing haven't been done better by anybody, which is not true- just check any Iron Maiden album and see how it's been developed and perfected further- I think ABB is an epic band!

User Info Menu

You find Duane Allmans playing on the Fillmore east album boring ? Duane’s slide work and guitar solos on that album are the standard from which that musical genre is compared. The Fillmore album is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded on vinyl. There are cover bands still make a living off that music nearly 50 years later. Duane’s solo on Stormy Monday is so creative and heartfelt - few played with more passion and expressive lines. Perhaps you need to go listen to the Fillmore album - then you’ll likely remove Duane’s name from the boring list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Certainly agree about Gracia, boring gtr in a boring band. But Allman (and regardelss saying it on ABB appreciation thread is kinda bad) and especially Clapton, how? Those guys could tell the stories in their solos, Clapton still does.

Except the OP saying 2 guitar thing haven't been done better by anybody, which is not true- just check any Iron Maiden album and see how it's been developed and perfected further- I think ABB is an epic band!
    Clapton's work with Blind Faith was lovely (imo) but the rest (Cream, solo stuff) just doesn't get my motor running. Great guitarist, though. Some guys like broccoli, some don't. (I love it.) Apologies if my post came off as rude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Perhaps you need to go listen to the Fillmore album - then you’ll likely remove Duane’s name from the boring list.
    I will do so. I've not really heard much beyond his popular radio stuff, and that can sometimes be misleading.

User Info Menu

I will do so. I've not really heard much beyond his popular radio stuff, and that can sometimes be misleading.
    You’ve likely heard more of Dickey Betts on the radio - who was also a terrific guitarist back in the Fillmore days - up to “Brothers and Sisters albumn”.

Duane Allman died in 1971 and left us some of the best live blues/rock music ever captured on a recording device.

Seriously, if you’ve never listened to “ Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore album” you owe it to yourself to check it out. The later Allman stuff from late nineties and on does not compare to when Duane was alive - and would certainly leave you with the wrong impression.

User Info Menu

The Live version of E. Reed; I cant get enough of it. Any Brothers fanatic will know who's playing which lead on that album. Sorry to be repetitive but that song (live ER) oozes out of me when I play with my band. We play in the NYC area; a jam band doing originals. All seven of those guitar guys, that guy above mentioned, have their own great style. There are thousands of us today who play guitar because of them and we try our best to play like them......Duane and Dicky live Elizabeth Reed (Fillmore East) taught me, most of all, how to play, how to play lead, have your band jam with taste, signal the players your solo is over, and how to keep the audience stomping. My band, the guys has no idea just how much Duane and Dicky are in their band.......it's funny.

I have a mint 70 SG Standard. It's probably more the ultimate AC/DC guitar but besides that and the volute, it mostly still has the SG guts, perfect neck, of the SG pictured above in the Met, I have to get there tomorrow, and those original pickups on my SG rock. Especially if you want to sound like a Brother.

User Info Menu

Dane, the “Play It Loud” exhibit at the Met is definitely worth seeing. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Dane, the “Play It Loud” exhibit at the Met is definitely worth seeing. Enjoy!

Thanks Mark.

I'm going to "Play It Loud" at the Met. I am commanded to be there...
    I was hoping today or Thursday?
    Can't wait, I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again, Mark
    D

User Info Menu

Dane, did you go to “Play It Loud”?

User Info Menu

I tried and the Met had a private party and was closed that day! Nice of them to tell us when we called them before we left. There were people standing across 5th Avenue with their i-phones waiting to take pictures of
    whoever? Big sh-t....we went home. Going to try tomorrow, again. I don't live too far from the Met so it was more of a PIA than anything else. We'll see; hopefully guitars!

Anyone out there know what the Met party was about and why it was worth i-phone pictures of the guests?

User Info Menu

Bo Diddley Gretsch, Buddy Holly banner Gibson with Holly made leather cover (beautiful), Ringo's drum set
    from 64?, a Bigsby, original Explorer, George's solid Rick 6-string, Jimmie's Gibson V, Clapton's SG Fool, Keith Moon's drum set, etc.etc. and more. At "Play It Loud." At the Met in Manhattan to October.

What does it have to do with the Allman Brothers? If you can go, do it!

User Info Menu

I’ve got pics of most of the ones you mentioned. What a great exhibit! Chuck Berry’s ES 350T was also pretty cool.