The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

This link is amazing on so many levels: https://somethingelsereviews.com/202...n-roland-kirk/

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks for that!
    I'm going to post that Roland Kirk doc elsewhere on the forum

User Info Menu

That's an interesting article.

Personally I am just a little put off by articles that so-and-so rocker wanted to move into the jazz world. There are a lot of great players out there, but to play jazz requires a different way of thinking about music.

I admire Duane's playing but don't think of him as particularly jazzy. Complex, yes. OTOH, he can make a 6-minute solo sound interesting the entire time, so there's that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That's an interesting article.

Personally I am just a little put off by articles that so-and-so rocker wanted to move into the jazz world. There are a lot of great players out there, but to play jazz requires a different way of thinking about music.

I admire Duane's playing but don't think of him as particularly jazzy. Complex, yes. OTOH, he can make a 6-minute solo sound interesting the entire time, so there's that.
    I agree that the notion of a successful rock guy moving towards jazz is just chatter. Too much work, why would they do it? That said, I do think some of the Duane-era stuff had jazz elements. Modal maybe?