The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 159

User Info Menu

I already mentioned Ohearn, Max Bennett, Tom Fowler, Arthur Barrow, and Scott Thunes to name just a few!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    I already mentioned Ohearn, Max Bennett, Tom Fowler, Arthur Barrow, and Scott Thunes to name just a few!

Max Bennett especially is a jazz bass player only plays double bass!

User Info Menu

Max Bennett especially is a jazz bass player only plays double bass!

I have seen Max Bennett play live many times and he played an electric bass.

If you google Bennett you can see many photos of him with an electric bass.

Anyhow, Max is a fine musician that was good at straight ahead as well as fusion jazz.

User Info Menu

You know, I could talk and write about FZ 24 hours a day, so forgive me for chiming in here more than I probably should.

Listening to some of his late-middle stuff--Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is, Them or Us--I remain impressed with his arrangements and the virtuosity of his performers, as well as the quirkiness of his humor, even if they don't have the depth of the fusion stuff.

Even Ya Hozna is pretty interesting when played at high volume--rather hallucinogenic, once might say.

The potty stuff...well, let's just say FZ is in the long tradition of Chaucer, Rabelais, Mozart, Bosch, Dali, Crumb and so many others who use scatology and sex as a window into art and philosophy.

He has so many tropes, like Bosch's funnel hats and demons and Dali's clocks and crutches...

Poodles
    Ponchos
    Sausage
    Leather
    Bondage
    Mud Shark
    Zircon-encrusted tweezers
    STD's

And of course the various scatological references that pop up his entire career. (In France, for instance...)

I read that on later records he would literally just superimpose a previously recorded solo (mainly guitar) onto a new song--xenochrony. Doubt that he was too lazy to play a new one, but like an electronics hoarder who finally finds a use for that volume knob he had been saving since the 70's...

Anyway, I guess my point is that there are an infinite number of facets to Frank's art. The more one looks at it, the more strange and astounding it really is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You know, I could talk and write about FZ 24 hours a day, so forgive me for chiming in here more than I probably should.

Listening to some of his late-middle stuff--Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is, Them or Us--I remain impressed with his arrangements and the virtuosity of his performers, as well as the quirkiness of his humor, even if they don't have the depth of the fusion stuff.

Even Ya Hozna is pretty interesting when played at high volume--rather hallucinogenic, once might say.

The potty stuff...well, let's just say FZ is in the long tradition of Chaucer, Rabelais, Mozart, Bosch, Dali, Crumb and so many others who use scatology and sex as a window into art and philosophy.

He has so many tropes, like Bosch's funnel hats and demons and Dali's clocks and crutches...

Poodles
    Ponchos
    Sausage
    Leather
    Bondage
    Mud Shark
    Zircon-encrusted tweezers
    STD's

And of course the various scatological references that pop up his entire career. (In France, for instance...)

I read that on later records he would literally just superimpose a previously recorded solo (mainly guitar) onto a new song--xenochrony. Doubt that he was too lazy to play a new one, but like an electronics hoarder who finally finds a use for that volume knob he had been saving since the 70's...

Anyway, I guess my point is that there are an infinite number of facets to Frank's art. The more one looks at it, the more strange and astounding it really is.
    Yeah those words piece together his whole works. The project object! It's a DADA concept. Not to many people know what a profound influence Dadaism was on Frank.

User Info Menu

I could talk about Mr. Zappa all day also. One of my favorite subjects inside my very favorite subject music.

User Info Menu

The problem is most people don't wanna talk about music all day long. That's why I like this thread so much. I remember once in middle school a friend of mine said man all you ever wanna talk about is music. So since my dad was a former college basketball player I took it upon myself to talk about that and football more often haha.

User Info Menu

Does anybody here listen to Captain Beefheart?

User Info Menu

Chick Corea could burn through Giant Steps on request, granted on a different instrument but he could burn thru it nevertheless!

By "CC", I think he meant Charlie Christian, who obviously died long before GS....

User Info Menu

"Sam, with the showing-scalp flattop, particular about the point it made...Sam was a basket case!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    By "CC", I think he meant Charlie Christian, who obviously died long before GS....
    And therefore it is impossible to know whether CC could have played it or not. Sure he could have if he'd put in the time.

But it shows how jazz was changing... And priorities of musicians change.

Stuff like GS was not in the old rep. In the case of Christian's time, Tea for Two was considered a bit of a tricky one cos if it's strange form and unexpected modulations from C to Ab, probably. Not super easy, but not Coltrane changes either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I was talking about Chick Corea not Charlie Christian. Don't know where that came from? Forgive my ignorance but who is GS?

User Info Menu

"Sam, with the showing-scalp flattop, particular about the point it made...Sam was a basket case!"
    Bongo Fury yes. But that's with Zappa. How about the Captain with his magic band? I was listening to Ice cream for crow the other day!

User Info Menu

I was talking about Chick Corea not Charlie Christian. Don't know where that came from? Forgive my ignorance but who is GS?

You replied to a post about ‘CC’ as if it referred to Chick Corea, when it actually meant Charlie Christian.

GS = Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You replied to a post about ‘CC’ as if it referred to Chick Corea, when it actually meant Charlie Christian.

GS = Giant Steps.
    Oh don't recall that but I trust ya. Probably had Corea on the brain at the time or something.

User Info Menu

Oh don't recall that but I trust ya. Probably had Corea on the brain at the time or something.

Actually yeah I remember now it reminded me of the video on YouTube of Chick playing and explaining giant steps. But you're right that was definitely before Charlie C's time!

User Info Menu

Of course in Zappa's corner, we have C.A.S.H.

Church of American Secular Humanism - Zappa Wiki Jawaka

User Info Menu

Listening to the complete Roxy recordings...

What an awesome band...what Zappa and his players were able to do live...and the audience interaction...

George Duke, the funkiest clavinet player ever...

Outstanding. Making me nostalgic for seeing them live.

On the other hand, there's Uncle Meat--some cool if very eccentric compositions. Varese meets Ellington by way of Andy Kaufman.

Zappa and those guys were just so far from what else was going on around them. A truly singular talent.

User Info Menu

Zoot Horn Rollo was an influence on my slide guitar playing.

User Info Menu

don van vliet was an influence on my everything!

cheers

ps- zoot horn bill harkleroad..later...turns out he's a jazz lover

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    don van vliet was an influence on my everything!

cheers

ps- zoot horn bill harkleroad..later...turns out he's a jazz lover

Doesn't surprise me one bit. So much of Don's catalogue especially with them has so many jazz and modern classical elements!

User Info Menu

^ of course!!

some prime zoot- (stage left -red jacket-red 330)

"the moon was a drip on a dark hood"

cheers

User Info Menu

Okay so how about this Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart? Who's music would you choose. I love them both but believe it or not I know some people who love Don but hate Zappa Haha! That's always baffled me because lots of people discover Beefheart thru Zappa!

User Info Menu

Okay so how about this Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart? Who's music would you choose. I love them both but believe it or not I know some people who love Don but hate Zappa Haha! That's always baffled me because lots of people discover Beefheart thru Zappa!

TBH for awhile there in the 70's I literally thought Captain Beefheart WAS Frank Zappa recording under a different name. (This is before the internet.) I still think they are twin sons from different mothers.

User Info Menu

TBH for awhile there in the 70's I literally thought Captain Beefheart WAS Frank Zappa recording under a different name. (This is before the internet.) I still think they are twin sons from different mothers.
    Mothers of invention heh!