The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

great early on elmore james style player was young jeremy spencer of fleetwood mac..he was uncanny mimic in a number of styles..absolutely nailed ej

duane allman got it from native american guitar legend jesse ed davis..who he saw playing with taj majal..as i said in prior post derek trucks takes duane beyond

lowell george got it from ry cooder...who has probably been the largest influence ever in modern slide..inc stones (he taught 'em g tuning), zoot horn rollo (he was on first beefheart record) etc etc

reason for current goldfoil pickup repro fad is ry..

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi !

What an interesting thread, one day on Youtube I saw a guy (I can't remember his name and I can't find his videos anymore) who played all types of chords on open tuning with a bottle neck or metal tube, I don't know the word, I call it "slide".
    So his technique was very interesting, he played on a stratocaster with very high strings.
    So let me explain what I understood about it.
    So, imagine we play with Open E (E B E G# B E) and we want to play C - 7

The slide is on the 8th fret, the free fingers are fretting 7th fret on G# string it sounds Eb and 6th fret on the high E string, it sounds Bb.

So the notes are from high to low

Bb
    G
    Eb
    C
    G
    C

Nothing to see with what I said.

This is slide guitar with nylon strings, there is no melody, just rhythmic guitar and I don't play what I mentioned above because nylon strings are not good for what I said, it's possible when it is played very gently, without any kind of pressure on the slide.

When I've got time I will share what I understood but on the electric guitar, I know it's easier than on nylon strings.

User Info Menu

Sonny Landreth? He's known for that technique of fretting behind the slide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Sonny Landreth? He's known for that technique of fretting behind the slide.
    Yes !
    Thank you, it's him !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Yes !
    Thank you, it's him !
    My pleasure!

As a teenager and upcoming wannabe slide player I found out that you can change chords in open tunings by fretting behind the slide but never pursued that idea any further because I thought it was kind of weird. Bad idea - I could have been a slide innovator long before Mr. Landreth.... LOL!