nice clip..and reaffirms my belief that freddie green was the king of comp

duke thinks quick on the draw & really knows his stuff

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice clip..and reaffirms my belief that freddie green was the king of comp

duke thinks quick on the draw & really knows his stuff
    Yeah, he does. I prefer his swingin' blues to his Chicago / down home blues stuff. (He does the latter well too but I've lost interest in playing it, so I don't listen to much of it.)

I wonder if he and Mickey Baker ever met.....

User Info Menu

Speaking of Mickey Baker.....(I still work in this guy's book.)

User Info Menu

always love mickey baker...here he is blazing away right out of the gate on louis jordans remake..caldonia '56

& of course our own rob mackillop has these great u-tube tutorials of mickey b's books

cheers

User Info Menu

can't go wrong with a guitar shuffle..especially by lowell fulson...he was known to use the triple pup gibby es-5 and later a gretsch white falcon!

tough sound

and here's a very cool (but edited short) clip of him live in action

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's Rodney Gene Junior doing Bill Jennings' "Big Boy."
    Rodney's a member of our community, so give him a warm welcome, if you please.

User Info Menu

Welcome, RG! Nice playing!

User Info Menu

dustin' this thread off..like lint on a phonograph needle...legendary mezz mezzrow side with charlie christian contemporary- the great teddy bunn on guitar

cheers

User Info Menu

still like me some jump blues...& feel better when this thread is around!! haha

harold burrage- hi -yo silver

cheers

User Info Menu

You got to swing before you can jump. ;o)

User Info Menu

Chris Corcoran on Tiny Grimes. (By the way, what kind of guitar is that? Never saw fret markers like that!)

User Info Menu

Answer found here: It's a Framus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Duke Robillard doing "Love Slipped In"

I know this is an old post, but I just saw it. This happens to be my favorite Robillard tune. He played it live for at least several years before recording it. I first heard it at the Bottom Line in NYC. Then another time, I requested it and he played it. The three versions varied quite a bit because the instrumentation was different each time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I know this is an old post, but I just saw it. This happens to be my favorite Robillard tune. He played it live for at least several years before recording it. I first heard it at the Bottom Line in NYC. Then another time, I requested it and he played it. The three versions varied quite a bit because the instrumentation was different each time.
    Thanks for the insight.
    In recent years I've enjoyed his jazz trio setting material. Always like to hear him play uptempo blues. (I've been working on his "Duke Jumps the Blues" from a book of his material.) I'm currently signed up for his lessons at Sonic Junction.

Just found this: four tunes done by Herb Ellis and Duke Robillard. (Flying Home, Jivin' In Rhythm, Stuffy, and Avalon.) Video contains some nice pics of the guys--mostly Duke-- and their album covers.

User Info Menu

under recorded bandleader, vocalist & guitarist- johnnie brown

i'm gonna stop (foolin' around)

cheers

ps- johnnie was a charlie christian devotee
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-16-2020 at 05:10 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    Here is another fun one today. I've been into the French Blues pickers. I think there is something special in how they swing and phrase.
    Cornball to start, but check out the solo! And the visuals are good too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thanks for the insight.
    In recent years I've enjoyed his jazz trio setting material. Always like to hear him play uptempo blues. (I've been working on his "Duke Jumps the Blues" from a book of his material.) I'm currently signed up for his lessons at Sonic Junction.

Just found this: four tunes done by Herb Ellis and Duke Robillard. (Flying Home, Jivin' In Rhythm, Stuffy, and Avalon.) Video contains some nice pics of the guys--mostly Duke-- and their album covers.

Great stuff, thanks! I just bought the album, which is "Conversations in Swing Guitar."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Great stuff, thanks! I just bought the album, which is "Conversations in Swing Guitar."
    There's also "More Conversations..." Good stuff. I really like the way they do "Moten Swing." (That's a curious tune in that the head is played differently by nearly everyone who does it! "Stuffy" is another one that is played differently by different folk.)

I should do a separate post on "Moten Swing"....