The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 293

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I dig the way Duke arranged the horn section for guitar on this recording. Haven't found out how to do it yet:
    Ah, "Jumpin' Blues." That's one of the tunes Duke teaches at Sonic Junction.

The opening chord sequence is: F F7 Bb6 Bbm6 F C7 F F7, which seems simple enough, but he voices each of those F (and F7) chords a different way! It creates a nice movement.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

how about some pee wee crayton!…dig this A side from 1954…opening riff remind you of anything??…haha

pee wee also got in on the hucklebuck thing..the huckle boogie

one of junior watsons favorite guys

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Ah, "Jumpin' Blues."
    Composed by Jay McShann and Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

mcshann so very undervalued!!..and hip!….thats st.louis bird..a kid!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    how about some pee wee crayton!…dig this A side from 1954…opening riff remind you of anything??…haha
    I expected the answer would be Chuck Berry---and there is a family resmeblance---but the first association to hit me was, "My, God, that's the intro to the Beatles' 'Revolution'!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott
    Composed by Jay McShann and Charlie Parker.
    That's an unusual tune in that the first chorus doesn't include the head! And the head itself sounds like a backing riff. But hey, it works!

User Info Menu

The opening chord sequence is: F F7 Bb6 Bbm6 F C7 F F7, which seems simple enough, but he voices each of those F (and F7) chords a different way! It creates a nice movement.
    That's it: the chords are pretty obvious but he plays them through different inversions and changes position which makes it interesting (and tricky)!

User Info Menu

That's it: the chords are pretty obvious but he plays them through different inversions and changes position which makes it interesting (and tricky)!
    Right. But like other people who comp well, especially those doing anything in the Swing vein, he has his favorite moves. For example, he likes a voicing he calls the "gospel" chord and it looks like this (-let's say in F, the key of "Jumpin' Blues"):

8-x-7-10-x-x

You'll notice that the 5th is in the bass and that the root is the top note. It's a simple triad. But it's a nice voicing for swing-style comping and it blends with with other ones for creating a bass line OR for creating a nice inner-line. For example,
    if you play two beats of F this way, then an F7 voiced as 8-x-7-8-x-x, then a regular Bb6 followed by a Bbm6, you have a nice movement in the top line. Freddie Green did that sort of thing all the time.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try.

I've watched Duke play this tune and he plays those opening chords on the first 5 - 6 frets though.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try.

I've watched Duke play this tune and he plays those opening chords on the first 5 - 6 frets though.
    The way he plays it here (-Sonic Junction) is 'down there' much of the time too, though he says if it's all down there it gets too muddy. The head is played at the low end, though it's on the top three strings (-for the most part).

User Info Menu

Who's up for some Bill Jennings and Jack McDuff doing "Glide On"?

User Info Menu

The head is played at the low end, though it's on the top three strings (-for the most part).
    Yes that's the way I've seen him doing it.

Who's up for some Bill Jennings and Jack McDuff doing "Glide On"?

One of my favourite twofers (two original albums on one CD): Bill Jennings and Brother Jack McDuff!

Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Here's a lesson in jump blues comping by Tommy Harkenrider. I really enjoyed this one. (I don't know Tommy and haven't bought any of his lessons, but this is a nifty quick lesson in comping.)

thanks for this little Gem, Tommy Harkenrider is my guitar instructor and I've not seen this one before. I'll be working on it all day between pedal builds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shamblin
    thanks for this little Gem, Tommy Harkenrider is my guitar instructor and I've not seen this one before. I'll be working on it all day between pedal builds.
    It's a nifty lesson. The basic comp is fun---and flexible---but I need more work to pull some of the lines out of it that he does.

User Info Menu

You may enjoy this short lesson on blues comping by Kirk Fletcher:

User Info Menu

You may enjoy this short lesson on blues comping by Kirk Fletcher:
    Whoa! That's hot stuff. I know some of those moves but certainly not all of them. That 'tremolo strum' is so cool!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ah, thanks for Teddy Bunn. "Edgar's Boogie" is a good 'un.

User Info Menu

swingin killer guitar driven instro from johnny otis and his orchestra....guitar is pete "guitar" lewis..with ben webster on tenor sax...johnny o on vibes! cut in L.A. december 26, 1951 for mercury records

cheers

ps- pic of pete guitar lewis with jo horns..wailin an epiphone

Jump Blues-petelewisu002528betteru002529-jpg
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-25-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I have to learn some of these tunes.

What sounds like a good starter-set of jump blues tunes to you guys?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGerry

great track..guitar showcase..you can hear bunns guitar needs some bridge work…his note starts sitaring at one point!! hah..great octal tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Some Illinois "Texas Tenor" Jacquet, from 1942

User Info Menu

A little Ruth Brown would not be out of place here.....

User Info Menu

A little Ruth Brown would not be out of place here.....

obvious that louis armstrong had huge influence on her...

he was the alpha... everyone else the omega

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-27-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

Let's not forget this guy here: