The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Last edited by kris; 02-02-2015 at 06:53 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She is very good! you know I'm sure there is not a single improvised note there.

User Info Menu

Wow! All that practice for nothing! I didn't feel a note of that, not a single note! ​She should stick to Chopin or Rachmaninoff....

User Info Menu

Were you expecting to "feel" flight of the bumblebee?

Impressive. I thought guitar players were the only one looking to break speed records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Were you expecting to "feel" flight of the bumblebee?
    If Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson played it, then probably, yeah!

User Info Menu

I saw a lot of clasical concerts played by Yuja Wang on youtube.
    I think she is a mega star ...only 27 years old.
    "Tea for Two" looks like a bis for US fans I think.

User Info Menu

We had her soloing with my orchestra several times. She is very good and still very young. Probably be a top 5 piano soloist it in a few years. You are right about the bis. I don't think she pretend to be Tatum.

Actually I find it very rare that classical musicians compare themselves or even think about jazz players. The opposite as I can see on this forum or on different jams I went seems to happen more. Its a bit sad in several ways.

User Info Menu

why are we saying that she's the fastest? not this, right? are there some Liszt pieces we're supposed to be checking out or something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    If Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson played it, then probably, yeah!
    what would be the difference?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    why are we saying that she's the fastest? not this, right? are there some Liszt pieces we're supposed to be checking out or something?
    Fastest or not... she is simply great clasical pianist.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed that. I wish I could do that!

Here she is playing Rachmaninoff, which is more in her wheelhouse.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-02-2015 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! All that practice for nothing! I didn't feel a note of that, not a single note! ​She should stick to Chopin or Rachmaninoff....
    She'll do great in Branson lot of chops no feel like Hiromi.

User Info Menu

I've heard she like very much Keith Jarrett.
    That is interesting.

User Info Menu

Before we judge "feel" off...i'll say it again--flight of the friggin' bumblebee.

No minor pentatonic blues runs though, if that's what "feel" means to ya.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to remember if Alfred Brendel could play the minute waltz in 57 seconds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm trying to remember if Alfred Brendel could play the minute waltz in 57 seconds.
    Bugs is doing it in 30secs (wish I could have find the vid in english and better quality)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    what would be the difference?
    Well, those guys could probably make that thing talk.

But honestly, Tea for Two Tatum style should at least try to swing, otherwise why bother?

User Info Menu

Well, those guys could probably make that thing talk.

But honestly, Tea for Two Tatum style should at least try to swing, otherwise why bother?
    Ok....
    who swing the best?

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with that' probably just thrown in for a bit of fun.. entertainment, at the end of the day that's what music is all about.. isn't it?

User Info Menu

There is Art Tatum inspirid pianist from Poland-Adam Makowicz.
    great player:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves
    Nothing wrong with that' probably just thrown in for a bit of fun.. entertainment, at the end of the day that's what music is all about.. isn't it?
    Pre mid century Jazz music without any "swing" to it, and you say there's nothing wrong with that? I didn't think it was fun, nor was I entertained. But then, as Chuck Barris usedto say, I like warts, so what do I know? .....

User Info Menu

I actually thought it was pretty cool.

This discussion goes back to the Kind Of Blue recording that Mostly Other People Do The Killing made. I think that jazz, just like classical music, can be canonized. Shoot me, but I haven't heard the original Tatum recording of this arrangement, and yeah, it's probably better in terms of feel. But it's cool to have her as a classical pianist explore the jazz world by playing a great tune with a great arrangement. It didn't feel forced or unnatural, to me at least.

User Info Menu

Soulless tributes do the Jazz canon no favours.

Horowitz could never have sounded like Tatum, sure, he could play the notes - if sheet music for it hypothetically existed- but it's all about the attitude, not just the swing. We all know this, but Jazz folk are too polite these days to say anything.

Oh, did I leave out the part about improvisation? If there was a cross pollination of Classical and Jazz spheres in the 60's and beyond, then the players it spawned, Hancock, Tyner, Evans. Corea, Jarret etc were all improvisational geniuses that carved themselves a new niche that any self respecting Classical soloist should be in awe of.

I know, I know, the ol' classical vs Jazz debate is tired and boring, and it certainly isn't my job to speak for it (to the converted, no less), even on a weeny little ol' Jazz guitar forum. But when this kinda showboating screams "I can play anything from Rachmaninoff to Tatum", someone's gotta say it isn't so. It's an insult to not only Tatum, but to Jazz itself.

I even have a sneaking suspicion that her Rachs don't come off convincingly to the real Rach lovers, either!