The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

I'm sure sometimes it's showboating but it's also sometimes just a nod to some music the performer likes and wanted to perform. Granted I'm a little less enthralled by performances of transcriptions then I am by arrangements of jaZ tunes that bring some new flavor. Jason Vieaux for example does some Pat Metheny tunes he arranged and they're extremely cool. A version of "The Bat" with Recuerdos style tremolo comes to mind...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also to be fair ... Gershwin and Cole Porter probably fall in the American Classical composer category and we've been ripping their tunes off for nearly a century.

User Info Menu

princeplanet,

Perhaps it's fun to go all negative and righteous. Did she do or say anything to inspire your reaction?

I assume that she chose to play Tatum based on loving the music and having the skill?
    She is playing a transcription, I don't know anything about her improvisational skills or lack thereof.
    Was a crime committed? I must have missed it.

No, she doesn't have Tatum's swing or that of the wonderful piano scholar Dick Katz.

I suggest that those with interest, go to the source and check out Art Tatum Solo Masterpiece CD's.
    Also, on the youtube link above, there is the transcription to Tatum's "Tea For Two".
    An opportunity to learn something about this master musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    princeplanet,

Perhaps it's fun to go all negative and righteous.....
    Fun indeed.... So if I say it needed to be said, you'll just say "well then who the hell are you to say it?" Then I go all shy and embarrassed and slink away back to my dark little corner. Maybe someone else with an opinion sees this ridicule-as-example and bites his lip next time he wants to express something (unqualified). Perhaps we'll all be invisibly co-erced to be tolerant. compliant, smiling little Buddhas encouraging all and sundry, skilled and unskilled alike, to "further" Jazz into this new(ish) century by blatantly misrepresenting the exact same things that set it apart from other music!

Meanwhile, the hiphoppers, rappers and DJ's are be-boppin' and scattin' rings around the rest of us with all the bravado that Miles Davis used to have, and because we're all smiling Buddhas, we're supposed to think that's OK too. And then we wonder why no-one comes to our gigs.

Yessir, watching that clip at the top of this thread made me that angry! I saw it like an attack on Jazz! But what made me wanna express it (enough to draw patronizing comments like yours, and that's OK too) was realizing that no-one else expressed any unabashed criticism.

So if y'all just gonna stand back and watch.....

User Info Menu

I think jazz music and clasical music are very different.
    Sometimes is very interesting to hear how jazz musician try to play clasical staff and vice versa...;-)

User Info Menu

..I saw Adam Makowicz in concert about two years ago. Now lives in New York I believe. His appearance was sponsored by the Milwaukee Polish Community Center.
    He divided his concert in two. The first part was classical pieces, and following intermission jazz standards and other pieces.
    He was equally at home in both settings.

It was a treat !

He is that good !

User Info Menu

I think this has been mostly covered, but...

I don't get the "fastest piano player" title. She played some fast stuff, but nothing mind blowing.

Also, her feel is kind of all over the place. I know she's a classical player, so they do things differently, but the tempo really lags a few times. It's a weird interpretation. Reminds me of the jazz stuff that I've heard John Williams do on guitar. I just can't get into the classical tendency to randomly (imo) slow down and speed up. I think most music sounds a lot better with a steady pulse. I just don't get it.

I'm sure her classical stuff is wonderful. She's definitely extremely talented.

User Info Menu

Eric Dolphy's Gazzelloni doesn't sound exactly like something Severino Gazzelloni would have played, but I don't think the latter wasn't pleased by Dolphy's hommage.

I have no problem with classical musicians paying hommages in their own terms to beloved jazz musicians, and viceversa. If the hommages sound good, that is!

I might be wrong, but I suspect it's because of the "division of labor" between jazz and classical musicians in the second half of the 20th century that the latter largely stopped improvising in public (the old-school Vladimir Horovitz was still making small improvisations in his last concerts in the 1980s). Of course those weren't jazz impros, but...

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 02-08-2015 at 06:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Wow! All that practice for nothing! I didn't feel a note of that, not a single note! ​She should stick to Chopin or Rachmaninoff....
    Strange isn't it, she is technically amazing but there are so many times you hear classical players trying to play jazz and it just doesn't cut it. They seem to miss the point entirely (swing, improvisation, etc.) and stifle the song by just replicating it in a mechanical fashion.

Almost as bad as Beatles songs played by brass bands...

Great at tecnhique but I'd take Jarret over this any day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CP40Carl
    Strange isn't it, she is technically amazing but there are so many times you hear classical players trying to play jazz and it just doesn't cut it. They seem to miss the point entirely (swing, improvisation, etc.) and stifle the song by just replicating it in a mechanical fashion.

Almost as bad as Beatles songs played by brass bands...

Great at tecnhique but I'd take Jarret over this any day.
    I think she's playing a transcription of Tatum's improvisation, not improvising. Although she's not one of my favorite classical pianist, her playing doesn't sound mechanical to my ears. BTW, I never heard Jarrett play this same score...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    *this* is fast:

This is truly amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CP40Carl
    I think that's the point, Jarrett wouldn't play that score. He would take it somewhere and create something new from it.

However, she is an awesome player and technically very accomplished (more so than I am). Just ain't what I'd call jazz.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't call that jazz, either, since she's not improvising.

User Info Menu

I think that's the point, Jarrett wouldn't play that score. He would take it somewhere and create something new from it.
    Seems he did not created anything new from this score

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ok....
    who swing the best?