The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I was just browsing this section of the forums and didn't see anything on slide guitar which is pretty much what gets me going on guitar. (My ultimate dream: learn jazz so well that I can combine it with my nonexistent slide guitar skills).

I'm wondering if anyone could lend some advice in this area. Mainly my problem lies in my tone. I can't seem to get a good tone from the guitar while playing. There's always some buzzing or something which is annoying.

I've tried to find a good approach to learning slide guitar yet I really can't find one. Anyone have any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play slide some, but only in standard tuning, and with pop/rock/blues, not jazz. There are a couple of guys who play slide jazz guitar I know of. Here is Stephen Couch on youtube playing slide to Aebersold play alongs. Pretty interesting stuff.

Slide starts about 3 minutes in after blowing the regular way.

Jazzed blues

awesome man! That's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the videos.

User Info Menu

With the buzzing there are 2 simple possible causes. Action perfect for playing jazz is probably way too low for slide. Or your slide may be too heavy. Are you using glass, stainless steel? Don't forget that a lot of those old Delta Blues guys were using guitars we wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Haha, very good point. Yeah I never thought that the slide might be too heavy. I'm currently using a pyrex slide that I picked up at the store for $5. I know Duane used a Coricidin Bottle but I don't think they make those anymore.

The big problem action-wise is that I like my action the way it is for regular playing. Is there some happy medium I can tell the guitar tech about if I asked him to raise the action so it wouldn't hinder my normal playing too much?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bock2Bock
    Haha, very good point. Yeah I never thought that the slide might be too heavy. I'm currently using a pyrex slide that I picked up at the store for $5. I know Duane used a Coricidin Bottle but I don't think they make those anymore.

The big problem action-wise is that I like my action the way it is for regular playing. Is there some happy medium I can tell the guitar tech about if I asked him to raise the action so it wouldn't hinder my normal playing too much?
    Yeah, that is another reason why I play only in standard tuning. I am not interested in having a separate guitar set up for slide. I have a heavy ceramic that I use, after years of trying out different types. You can still get the Coricidin bottle types, but I tried one, and didn't like it.

User Info Menu

I forget which rocker it was but I read in GP that some guys raise the action for slide playing by sticking something like a 'lollipop stick" under the strings close to the nut. I don't know how true this is nor have I tried it.

User Info Menu

If you did that, it would mean you couldn't use open strings, and would probably affect the tension to the point where you'd have to retune, wouldn't it? If you're at all picky about pitch and intonation, that could be a headache.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MackStrat71
    If you did that, it would mean you couldn't use open strings, and would probably affect the tension to the point where you'd have to retune, wouldn't it? If you're at all picky about pitch and intonation, that could be a headache.

Yes I agree. But I can't remember who said that they did this. They did this so that they didn't have to change guitars. Maybe Badfinger? All I remember is reading it in Guitar Player YEARS ago.

User Info Menu

The above is why I only play sparringly and in standard tuning. Of course, tuning a guitar to an open tuning isn't gonna help much if you are playing jazz. Since tunes are going to weave in and out of different keys, using say open G isn't going to be very helpful once you get past Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

Hey Rodney. Listened to a couple of your tunes. Very straight ahead approach to roots rock. Very listenable, I like it. The band is tight, the playing is good. I liked the tunes. The vocals seemed to be the weak link, but hey that hasn't slowed down Dylan, Petty or tons of others.

Didn't hear any jazz slide in there though. BTW, where the heck is Redland, OK? I am from Ok and other than Redlands College, haven't hear of it. And welcome to the group.
    Last edited by derek; 03-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comment on the slide/music stuff... Yeah, I play a bunch of slide and am just venturing into the jazz side of things. I have been trying a few different approaches (notes behind the slide, "blue" notes, etc...) and different tunings. I play in standard so I'm trying to get a Robben Ford meets Joe Walsh! HAHA!! I know it sounds horrible but one can only to so much with one's ability. I am new to this format (although I did play in the ASU Jazz Band back in 1988) and I'm trying to creep in as much as I can... Hell, someone has already played everything anyways... I am trying to get "out of the box" with my runs and am trying my best to get the slide in there. I have short fingers so I am going to get a slide ring. One that I can rotate to play slide and fret notes... what a disaster waiting to happen!!

User Info Menu

Anyone ever heard Dave Tronzo? He's kind of a jazz slide guy, in a free jazz kind of way

allmusic ((( David Tronzo > Overview )))

User Info Menu

Check out David Fiuczynski, crazy out jazz slide guitar player.

MW

User Info Menu

Actually I just realized he's not playing slide in that video, but if you check out some of his stuff with Hiromi it's pretty crazy.

MW

User Info Menu

If you want to play slide, you can buy a nut that just sits and rests on top of the nut of your guitar. Just take off or loosen the strings, and put it on. It raises the strings from the frets, so no buzzing, and a chance for a nice slide sound.

probably you need to have two guitars, one set up this way, for just playing slide.

I think slide guitar in jazz is a really good idea, but playing in tune and playing scales, with a slide takes a ton of practise. I tried, and almost immediately realized it was a lot more work than I was going to put in to be able to play jazz solos with a slide.

Maybe try a metal slide like the lap steel players use.

User Info Menu

To do it functionally the best option is 2 guitars with different setups.

User Info Menu

Buddy Emmons plays Martino licks on C6 steel...but seriously, heavier strings and higher action (like most jazz setups) are better for slide, use the neck pickup, and learn to mute the strings you're not playing.

User Info Menu

Tony Furtado is another great slide player. He cuts the top off of wine bottles for his slides, preferring the Italian (longer) shaped bottles. Amazing to watch, Tony integrates fretted notes with slide tones masterfully. He keeps I think 4 guitars on stage, tuned G, Bb, D, standard. He wears finger picks.
    I have a Dobro and one of those nut doo-hickeys. It raises the strings to play lap style, with a steel bar.
    Muting unused strings and sliding to the note are things to practice. Bouncing the slide on and off individual notes against fretted or open strings is another.

User Info Menu

There's a trick Earl Hooker used to do; alternating notes in a line between fingering and with the slide...not that hard to do and you get a nice effect.

User Info Menu

If you're a big fan of slide playing, you have to check out Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth. To me, they're the two best slide players around.

User Info Menu

Fareed Haque plays slide also. His stuff is a fusion of jazz, classical, world music. Tasty stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gpower
    If you're a big fan of slide playing, you have to check out Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth. To me, they're the two best slide players around.
    I'm sorry, you must have meant Ry Cooder and Mick Taylor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lester
    I'm sorry, you must have meant Ry Cooder and Mick Taylor.
    That's why I began that line 'To me,"

I'm a big Ry Cooder fan, aswell. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much of Mick Taylor's playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    Check out David Fiuczynski, crazy out jazz slide guitar player.

MW
    wow pretty cool