The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

hi everyone!
    any advice on how to play that fascinating smoothly flowing
    bossa style ( Baden Powell, Jobim,Joao Gilberto...)?

I appreciate any answer

stay tuned
    Hubert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The best resource I know for this style is Emily Remler's Latin Jazz and Advanced Improvisation Hot Licks dvd. Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Emily Remler: Advanced Jazz & Latin Improvisation: Hot Licks: Movies & TV

It is also available as a rental on Netflix.

User Info Menu

Also check out Nelson Faria's book

nelson faria book amazon - Google Search

MW

User Info Menu

fwiw, this is how i got started in bossa nova. my brother-in-law and our guitar teacher were playing manha de carnaval. i *had* to learn that cool rhythm line, so i made them stop and show me the rhythm part, which just totally lends itself to little fills and moving the bass line around. it's definitely my favorite song, whether playing rhythm, lead or solo chord melody. basically, i have to be shown how to do it from a real person, i.e. books, dvds etc. just don't work for me, but i'd definitely recommend starting out with manha de carnaval in any event

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    The best resource I know for this style is Emily Remler's Latin Jazz and Advanced Improvisation Hot Licks dvd. Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Emily Remler: Advanced Jazz & Latin Improvisation: Hot Licks: Movies & TV

It is also available as a rental on Netflix.
    I second that motion. Emily Remler speaks the musical truth about the Bossa. It's a lot simpler that is sounds and she goes through the rhythm step by step. If you can't find the video, here's the gist of the whole thing. The bass is played on strictly on beats 1 and 3 rather than the 2 and 4. She says not to deviate from that or syncopate the bass line. The chords are syncopated rather than the bass line. It takes a bit of practice to get it down perfect but when you do, you'll really hear the difference.

"bossa nova should almost play itself, ride along easily with everything rather understated..."
    Sounds a little bit strange to me, because I'm not able to manage my singing with the rhythm ( old spanish mirrored one, isn't it?)
    Must be a lack of practice or lazyness...
    as far as "chord-melody" is concerned, I love that piece "garota de Ipanema" by Antonio Carlos Jobim e Vinicius Moraes
    Anybody here, who knows "Jack Marshall"?

thanks all you friendly guys
    best forum of all...

hi,
    but you don't mean "carneval in venice"?
    I've heard of manha de carneval, but can't remember exactly what it was.
    A tef or a ptab hint?
    thanks ( would like further explanation of your technique - certainly you're right - persons who can play might help when demonstrating live - but for the time being no opportunity for me - I'm autodidact
    have a nice time on your guitar - fascinating instrument

hubert from Tirol (austria)

User Info Menu

mahana de carnaval.......a day in the life of a fool is from that show/movie..

good bossa tune...CM style first time through then single string improvising or Wes octaves...

time on the instrument..pierre

mah sure,
    a day in a life of a fool...
    that's me
    so I should be able to accompany my singing...
    thanks pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    Also check out Nelson Faria's book

nelson faria book amazon - Google Search

MW
    That and this ...
    Amazon.com: Bossa Nova Guitar: 33 Lick Samples: Romero Lubambo, Tak Tokiwa, Chiaki Matsumoto: Movies & TV

And you're golden.

Stringbean Guest
    This is good, as is part II

User Info Menu

Here's a great link!

Jason Brazile's Bossa Nova Guitar Transcriptions

I liken Bossa Nova & Choro to morse code somehow.

User Info Menu

thanks for all the links, it was helpful!

User Info Menu

In my opinion, the best Bossa Nova teaching book is the one by Carlos Arana It is named "Bossa Nova Guitar" and easy to buy from the Internet.

What I really like about it is its systematic and exhaustive approach which really gives a very strong basis for future playing, which I did not really find in any other book (and I have many), including the essence of Bossa Nova playing "Never plays the same thing repeatedly" put another way, always use subtle rythm variations.

The only missing things in this book are the use of arpegios and the emphasizing of a note - actually two, generally differing by a semi-tone - between two successive chords. Listen carefully to Joào Gilberto for this.

One thing I also recommend is to get advices/lessons from a Brazilian teacher. I did so, not really for the technical aspects (40 years of playing) but to really improve my style and the tiny details. This kind of music is so deeply rooted in them, that they can immediately spot what's awkward in your playing, even subtle things, and give you good advice of how to improve it.

As you probably guessed it, I'm more of a Bossa Nova nylon guitar player (and singer) than of a Jazz Guitar guy. Hope this helps

User Info Menu

A couple of my favorite links to get chords and scores from:
    Partituras
    http://www.bossanovaguitar.com/bossa...ng_lyrics.html
    Tom Jobim - Site Oficial UOL Personalidades (supported by Jobim's family)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    A couple of my favorite links to get chords and scores from:
    Partituras
    http://www.bossanovaguitar.com/bossa...ng_lyrics.html
    Tom Jobim - Site Oficial UOL Personalidades (supported by Jobim's family)
    I just discovered the first website recently, and I was amazed by the number of jazz and brasilian music sheets.