The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 132

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    I met Johnny a few times in the early 90's when he was living in NYC.....without going into specifics he was a mess back then with a bunch of issues....but was really trying to get it together. Not sure if he ever got it worked out.... I will say that at the the time he was about 45 or 46 but looked about 65. He's also a pretty small guy which also probably made him look a bit older. Was always a really nice guy despite all the problems.
    He seems to have gotten things together enough in recent years to make some good records. I enjoyed "Roots" and look forward to the one due in the Fall, I think it'll be called "Step Back." "Roots" has a guest guitarist on every track and the tunes are, well, Johnny's "roots."

Here's "Dust My Broom" with Derek Trucks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattC
    Nice list. I dig all those guys quite a lot and am lucky enough to have caught every one live at least once (except Freddy). I got to see Snooks Eaglin in New Orleans about 20 years ago at one of those bowling alley rock-and-bowl places. Totally unique player and singer who explores stuff beyond blues as well -check out his takes on stuff like "Apache."
    I saw Snooks at the Rock'n'Bowl too! I loved that place. (It was damaged by Katrina and was moved a little ways down S. Carrollton toward the river bend.)

Here's Snooks doing "Lipstick Traces" live (with George Porter, Jr. on bass.) Snooks has his own sort of fingerstyle....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I saw Snooks at the Rock'n'Bowl too! I loved that place. (It was damaged by Katrina and was moved a little ways down S. Carrollton toward the river bend.)
    Mid-city Lanes, is that the name of it? I never lived in NOLA, but I spent about 2 weeks there 20 years ago-went to the Jazz and Heritage Fest and lots of club shows. I remember talking to Snooks that night. He was holding forth with a story about a drunken Earl King spilling a drink on his head! (Snooks being kinda short).

User Info Menu

For a white, electric, British blues, for me, it's got to be Jeff Beck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattC
    Mid-city Lanes, is that the name of it? I never lived in NOLA, but I spent about 2 weeks there 20 years ago-went to the Jazz and Heritage Fest and lots of club shows. I remember talking to Snooks that night. He was holding forth with a story about a drunken Earl King spilling a drink on his head! (Snooks being kinda short).
    Yup, that's the place. Mid-City Lanes rock'n' bowl. Mid-City is that part of New Orleans, and the seminary I spent four years was a short walk away, so I was there a few times... My understanding is that it is now across the street from the seminary... My favorite show ever there was Tony Joe While (of "Polk Salad Annie" fame.) He played guitar and had a drummer, that was it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Agree about the early Clapton phrasing. Still kills me. The live version of Sleepy Time. How in the pocket can a player be? To my ears still the best sustaining guitar sound I've ever heard although Derek Trucks is definitely in that tonal dept.
    Raw power, volume and that freakish timing/phrasing that he lost in later years.
    The day he picked up a Strat was the day the music died IMHO.

Awww, man.....Don't be that guy (j/k)

I rate '461 Ocean Blvd' and his first solo album above Cream. You all read that right; I like Slowhand when he dials back the fuzz tone. Super funky sound. His band from Oklahoma is super under-rated

User Info Menu

It would have to be Robben Ford.
    Michael Landau if you want a rock/blues guitarist.

User Info Menu

This guy needs to be mentioned. His career was short but his best was as good as anybody's.

User Info Menu

SRV for me just because he broke big as i was forming as a guitar player at 16 years old in 1983. I would pick up the occasional guitar player magazine and had clapton's blues breaker album and hendrix and they would mention these old blues cats and Stevie just seemed to plug right into that at that time when new wave was all the rage ...

aahh i long for the old days sittin' in my parents bedroom being blown away by his first two albums

good memories

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    It would have to be Robben Ford.
    Michael Landau if you want a rock/blues guitarist.
    Just wanted to add

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insideout
    SRV for me just because he broke big as i was forming as a guitar player at 16 years old in 1983. I would pick up the occasional guitar player magazine and had clapton's blues breaker album and hendrix and they would mention these old blues cats and Stevie just seemed to plug right into that at that time when new wave was all the rage ...

aahh i long for the old days sittin' in my parents bedroom being blown away by his first two albums
    Clapton once said the first time he heard "Pride and Joy" on the radio he pulled over to the side of the road, amazed at what he was hearing.

User Info Menu

Well, I think this guy will be unknown to most of You, but he is my fauvorite blues guitarist.

NAme is Tibor Tátrai. Check him out!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    Johnny Winter And live, "It's My Own Fault."

Killer stuff.

User Info Menu

I have most like to hearing the guitar sound. it is really wonderful to hear.

my friend and me have to joining in the singing class.

if you get take any training to produce that sound?

User Info Menu

Roy Buchannan's After Hours remains for me one of the best I've ever heard, and almost anything by BB King.

User Info Menu

Rory Gallagher. Although not strictly blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Roy Buchannan's After Hours remains for me one of the best I've ever heard, and almost anything by BB King.
    He was a guy who played really well, but we don't hear his name much anymore.

User Info Menu

Melvin Taylor:

User Info Menu

As a lifelong student of the blues, I've heard them all. SRV does it for me more than anyone else.

User Info Menu

The late Michael Burks, R.I.P, who passed away in his early fifties was one of many favorites of mine and probably my favorite contemporary Blues. His tone was so full and his vibrato weeped, as did the big man's voice. I caught him live a couple of times - great experience!

User Info Menu

Just listened to Michael Burks above and it got me all over again.

The great Bluesmen, in my humble opinion, have a way of making you think their songs are real and are taken from their own life experiences and pain.

User Info Menu

this guy is pretty good:

User Info Menu

I have been listening to a ton of Muddy Waters lately. What a giant of music. His voice and his guitar phrasing--absolutely unique.

I realize there were other great blues players around at the time, and he himself learned from and copied from Son House and idolized Robert Johnson, but IMO if he hadn't been moved to Chicago and been recorded by the Chess brothers, we wouldn't be talking about 95% of the folks above. It would just be an obscure folk music. He more than anyone electrified the blues and made it mainstream.

Not to mention all the white guys that had big hits playing his songs. (Though many of them, including the Rolling Stones, Johnny Winters and Eric Clapton, returned the favor.)

BTW Eric Clapton's new album is out--a tribute to JJ Cale. I personally never got into Cale as a performer or guitarist much, though he was a pretty good songwriter. This album is one of EC's better "laid back" albums--nice, understated guitar work, syncopated in the Chet/Merle style but always bluesy. I'll take it over most of his 80's stuff anyday.

User Info Menu

while he didn't do many bloozes....he spanks this one out...and some nice harmonies at 3:22