The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 132

User Info Menu

Good choice. I had "Stephen Stills" decades ago - forgot how good it is. Great guitar player, songwriter and singer. He sometimes tuned his guitar EEEEBE - not as far as I know a New Standard Tuning...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yea...while I'm no hippie, I do like CSNY...and Miles liked them so I guess it's alright then. hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Most of the list has already been covered, but anyway:-

T-Bone

Muddy Waters/Jimmy Rogers

BB

and, always.....Peter Green.

I liked that Peter Green stuff. I know that Gary Moore really thought a lot of him and I can see a taste of why that was so.

But there is something about the bravado, bragging manner of Muddy Waters that gets your attention. He was one heck of a "trash" talker in his songs and had a way of making me laugh and smile as I listened to him or watched one of his videos!

User Info Menu

Now if you want to hear Blues with a rock inflection like Albert King's later tone, and Cream/BluesBreaker Blues, here is what IMHO is one of the great Blues Guitars performances from Gary Moore.

User Info Menu

Hard to pick a favorite but I love Albert King's playing.... big, loud and brash.

User Info Menu

There are many greats and it's unfair to compare them but I like Eric Clapton best. His thick, icy tone and dramatic phrases set him apart from all the others back in the day. Mayall's other guitarists, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, and Coco Montoya, copied Clapton's sound to a fair extent as has nearly everyone since. Before Clapton guitars were twangy sounding; nowadays twang is a minority (though I love a good Tele twang.) I don't want to deny Peter Green's greatness but I don't like it when people invoke him to trash Clapton. One quote I've seen is that B.B. King said that Peter Green had more talent in his left finger than King had in his whole body. That's impressive praise but I haven't been able to locate a credible source for it. You've no doubt heard the one about Jimi Hendrix being asked how it felt to be the greatest guitarist and replying 'Don't ask me; ask [fill in the blank with your favorite.]' Most people now think that quote is apocryphal, but in any case all versions of it but one are apocryphal!

I also like Wes Montgomery, Lenny Breau, Kevin Eubanks (there - a living guitarist) and many others.

User Info Menu

Thanks for speaking my mind! The phrasing is incredible as was the unearthly tone that Clapton introduced. I agree he should never have converted to Stratism -- though I love the Strat. The Gibson was ideal for him. It's probably that ass writer for Rolling Stone who called him 'master of the obvious' who caused him to reinvent himself. Like Mozart his phrases are 'obvious' only in hindsight and that's because they are so logical and economical. But Clapton would have had to evolve sooner or later. Sadly, blues rock was a fashion and like all fashions you can't keep doing it your whole life unless you want to end up broke.
    Some of my favorite Clapton solos are from Beano - esp Double Crossing Time - and Fresh Cream - esp Sweet Wine (what a hurricane of sound!), I'm Glad (sheer perfection), and Sleepy Time Time. Also, the live version of Spoonful from Wheels of Fire is exhilarating. Any minute long chunk of it has more good licks than the average ten minute solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Agree about the early Clapton phrasing. Still kills me. The live version of Sleepy Time. How in the pocket can a player be? To my ears still the best sustaining guitar sound I've ever heard although Derek Trucks is definitely in that tonal dept.
    Raw power, volume and that freakish timing/phrasing that he lost in later years.
    The day he picked up a Strat was the day the music died IMHO.

I love that song too and that album. I never realized his phrasing was so unique until I saw this cover of another favorite from that album. Anyone know if he picked this up from some traditional blues players? Looks like he holds the fretting on the prior note for sustain. This cover is spot on too. (Impeccable really because he catches every little nuance)

Last edited by WESTON; 08-09-2014 at 09:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I've always dug this from Peter Green. His taste and tone are simply awesome.

Watch Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBgfbbCALc
    Last edited by Jim8208; 08-13-2014 at 11:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Fred,

User Info Menu

Freddie King.

User Info Menu

RIP Peter Green

User Info Menu

But I don't know if anyone is better at a variety of blues styles than Johnny Winter. And the guy's still out there, playing the hell out of his guitar.

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, Johnny died in 2014 after giving his last performance at the Cahors Blues Festival here in SW France where I was proud to be one of three programmateurs. He died in Switzerland in his hotel room three days later. We have a street named after him - Rue Johnny Winter.

User Info Menu

First guitarist to pop into my head - Walter Trout

User Info Menu

It's all been said... of the old guys, Blake's a lovely picker.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

OK, very late to this party, and mostly here to say amen to all of the above, esp Al King, Al Collins, Robben Ford and... the one nobody has mentioned yet... Chris Cain! Chris just plays with such soul and a killer tone. He has chops for days but never subverts the melody to the chops, never just shows off. His own site has a bunch of video (link below) and Google can turn you on to much more.

Cain Gallery | Video Clips

User Info Menu

Hands down Roy Buchanan - say him live twice monster player

Will

User Info Menu

Either RL Burnside or Ali Farka Toure

User Info Menu

Robben Ford
    T Bone Walker
    Eric Bibb

User Info Menu

Anyone into Eric Gales ?

Blues Power !

User Info Menu

BB King can't be overstated. Maybe he's too familiar? If you want to play blues, study BB King. That's what every electric player since T Bone did.

User Info Menu

nobody could cut albert collins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam9
    BB King can't be overstated. Maybe he's too familiar? If you want to play blues, study BB King. That's what every electric player since T Bone did.

User Info Menu

Skip James..song sounds familiar... ;-)

Kids, don’t try this picking at home. Might hurt your finger.