The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 132

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mississippi John Hurt:

Doc Watson played this one well and got a lot of inspiration from MJH—always acknowledged his debt to ole John.

User Info Menu

Cool group playing featuring among others Keb Mo performing RJ’s Walking Blues:

User Info Menu

Lady can sure sing and PLAY the blues:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Lady can sure sing and PLAY the blues:

Damn! That's some fine playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Florencejoh

I have most like to hearing the guitar sound. it is really wonderful to hear.

my friend and me have to joining in the singing class.

if you get take any training to produce that sound?

User Info Menu

Skip's "Death Bed Blues" used to be part of my show in the Resonator Years, until Mrs. k made me stop.

"Layin' sick, sufferin' in my bed, Layin' sick, sufferin' in my bed,

Layin' sick, sufferin' in my bed. Used to have some friends but they wished that I was dead"

As Neil Young used to say, "This ones gauranteed to bring you right down."

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard that before. Great.

My favorite electric blues players are BB King and Albert Collins.

Country blues, I love Miss. John Hurt.

Hon mention to Robert Cray, Walter Wolfman Washington and a lot of others who aren't leaping to mind at the moment.

Albert Collins had a very original way of tuning and playing the guitar. I've never seen or heard of anyone else playing his way.

Albert King was another very original player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Calhoun Tubbs could distill the essence of the blues into 4 bars...

hah...reminds me why i miss cosmic!! he never had a straight answer! always brought a laugh

cheers

User Info Menu

albert king

User Info Menu

Otis Rush.

The opening vocal note kills me. That upside-down backwards Riviera sounds fat and sweet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Otis Rush.

The opening vocal note kills me. That upside-down backwards Riviera sounds fat and sweet.

I. Can’t. Even.

Lefty guitars strung right-side up or bass-ackwards.

User Info Menu

otis rush cobra recordings have some of the most blistering blues guitar recorded

huge influence on early clapton...bluesbreakers epic beano lp starts off with otis track!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    otis rush cobra recordings have some of the most blistering blues guitar recorded

huge influence on early clapton...bluesbreakers epic beano lp starts off with otis track!

cheers
    ...and some of the most blistering guitar playing on that collection belongs to Ike Turner (as noted on the album cover)! There are a few Willie Dixon throwaways but the rest of the songs feature electric Chicago blues at its finest. Mostly recorded in a makeshift studio at the back of a TV repair shop, these sessions just reek with atmosphere. Buddy Guy and Magic Sam had their early breaks at Cobra but none of those recordings capture the level of vocal and instrumental intensity that Otis Rush displays here.

User Info Menu

I hate to pick as there are so many I like, but hard to beat Muddy, BB and one of his big influences, T Bone.
    it can't get much better than this, can it?

User Info Menu

another chicago chess era guitarist was jody williams...played with elmore james. otis spann, howlin wolf etc etc...and did the lead break on bo's who do you love

cool honker-lucky lou....otis rush copped the line for his cobra recording- all your love

cheers

User Info Menu

Jody Williams took a 30 year break from music and came back sounding as good as ever. One of the many underrated figures on the Chicago scene. Here's another, the inimitable Fenton Robinson:

User Info Menu

The spirit of T-bone lives on...

This was the lineup when I saw them in ‘79 or ‘80 in Atlanta at the Fox...Danny Toler and the underrated Dickie Betts on guitar.

User Info Menu

How about another one of the ladies??

Rockin’ an ES-175–she still plays this guitar—saw her play it about 2 years ago when she performed with Richard Thompson:

User Info Menu

So many old blues musicians gone now...the music lives on.

User Info Menu

The spirit of T-bone lives on...

This was the lineup when I saw them in ‘79 or ‘80 in Atlanta at the Fox...Danny Toler and the underrated Dickie Betts on guitar.

IIRC, Dickie said in an interview with GP that he listened to Brahms' cello suites for melodic ideas.

So many greats: The three Kings, Muddy, Howlin', Hubert, Buddy, T-Bone, Beck, Bloomfield, Moore, Magic, Alvin Lee, Trower etc.

I'm a big Peter Green fan:

I know Kenny Burrell is a Jazzer, but he could play "The Blues" as good as anyone, if not better. And, if you haven't heard it and even though he wasn't really a "Blues" player per se, Frampton's "All Blues" album is fantastic!

Post duplicated(?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    So many greats: The three Kings, Muddy, Howlin', Hubert, Buddy, T-Bone, Beck, Bloomfield, Moore, Magic, Alvin Lee, Trower etc.

I'm a big Peter Green fan:

I know Kenny Burrell is a Jazzer, but he could play "The Blues" as good as anyone, if not better. And, if you haven't heard it and even though he wasn't really a "Blues" player per se, Frampton's "All Blues" album is fantastic!

I’ve always known about Peter Green, but haven’t listened to him in depth until recently. He is the complete package—tasteful phrasing, incredible tone and great singing voice. No wonder he was so influential.

It’s hard not to see what happened to him after 1970 as a tragedy, although he continued to play even into the 2000’s. One wonders if he would have fared better if he had had access to more advanced mental health treatment.

I’ve always known about Peter Green, but haven’t listened to him in depth until recently. He is the complete package—tasteful phrasing, incredible tone and great singing voice. No wonder he was so influential.

It’s hard not to see what happened to him after 1970 as a tragedy, although he continued to play even into the 2000’s. One wonders if he would have fared better if he had had access to more advanced mental health treatment.
    Of all the players from that era; Beck, Clapton, Page, etc., he was by far the least known and at least to me, in terms of pure blues, was the best of all of them. I can certainly understand why he was such an influence on Gary Moore and why Gary idolized him.

It certainly was tragic and I think it's fair to type that his life would've been better if there was better treatment available at the time.