The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 85
    Like to hook up with any Smooth Jazz lovers. I'm into George Benson, Larry Carlton, Norman Brown, Ronny Jordan, Lee Ritenour. Jeff Golub, and the list goes on. I'm interested in licks, rhythm playing, technique.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes. I am into smooth jazz. It is really the only jazz I like although I have played bebop before. I also like bossa a lot. My list of people I like is similar to yours. I would add in The Rippingtons and Russ Freeman. I also have been getting into Marc Antoine and Paul Browns newest album. Funny you mention Jeff Golub. I think he is offering guitar lessons via skype. I live near NY so I was trying to set up in person lessons but he never got back to me so I don't know what's up with that. I play in a band where we take pop songs of the 60,70, 80, and 90's and make them into Smooth Jazz. We've only been doing it for a short while, so the jury is still out.

User Info Menu

Yeah me too, Benson, Metheny, Carlton, Robben Ford are some of my favorites.

User Info Menu

I've been taking tunes of the 70's, 80's and 90's and trying to make them into smooth jazz. Here is my recent attempt at I Can't Help Myself.

User Info Menu

Does Paul Jackson Jr. qualify, or is he more gospel?

(Sorry for trying to pigeonhole you, Paul!)

User Info Menu

The old WJJZ in the Philly area is now on 106.1 HD 2, and my problems with the smooth jazz programming are: endless bleeting saxs; the guitar and piano have not been invented yet; R&B vocals are now considered smooth jazz and make up half the programming; Kenny G; saxs and saxs and more saxs. The music is a one trick pony. That's just my take right now. Ed S.

User Info Menu

I can't play it at all but there's a bunch of it that I really like listening to. I think it's also music that is perfect for the modern era of buying individual songs. There are lots of smooth jazz albums that are cluttered with tunes that are way to sweet or innocuous for my taste, but by buying individual songs I've been able to put together some killer sets from Chuck Loeb, Jeff Golub, John Tropea etc.

User Info Menu

Here's some of the smooth jazz I like listening to :

User Info Menu

Norman Brown, one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

IF this is smooth Jazz, then while not my first choice, I can listen when I am in the mood and definitely would not mind playing it, again when I am in a playful mood.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank you Cosmic.

User Info Menu

i used to be such an anti-smooth-jazz guy but as I get older, I just appreciate any music that's well performed and grooves and while it's not my favorite to listen to, I enjoy playing it.

Some of the people who make fun of it probably wouldn't be able to perform it and get the groove happening the way it needs to .

User Info Menu

I miss the playlists that used to be on "The Weather Channel"'s "Local on the 8's". I was never really into smooth jazz itself, but I sorta dug a lot of the tunes they used to play along with the local forecast (and computerized voice reading the weather). Now it's always the same tune which has gotten really old, really fast.

I liked to watch the channel while practicing: there'd be about 10 minutes to run exercises or whatnot between smooth jazz weather forecasts, at which point I'd take a break and jam along, "accidentally" picking up some smooth lines in the process...

User Info Menu

I'm such a snob I even have smooth jazz I like and dont.

I tend towards the older smooth stuff...benson, earlier klugh, rit, carlton, and I don't know if all his stuff can be called smooth, but something like John keeper's "barefoot ballet" just smoulders...

User Info Menu

For that matter, lots of people perceive Metheny as elevator music. How much smoother can you get?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    For that matter, lots of people perceive Metheny as elevator music. How much smoother can you get?
    i would hope anyone with ears knows metheny can play "real" jazz.

User Info Menu

I'd love for Cosmic Gumbo's Butterillica (my analogous version of softened-Hetfield land) to produce and promote their own albums. I'd buy those up like hot scones.

User Info Menu

Could someone point me to some guitar based smooth jazz that isn't tainted with suicide provoking keyboard "electronica" sounds? Those weather channel guys play some beautifully melodic lines and usually with great tone too, but as soon as I hear those keys spewing their saccharine napalm, I just want to fill the tub with hot water and reach for my grandpa's straight razor. It's similar to the great piano playing of Keith Jarrett that you don't get to enjoy without the maternal delivery room wailing grunt/scat vocalization that comes with it. Whenever I do hear "smooth jazz" I'm often left thinking that if they replaced the rhythm section with an upright bass, less aggressive drums and ditched the synths, you'd really have some fine music.

I hope I don't sound short tempered but my sciatica is killing me today…so I'm short tempered.

User Info Menu

Anybody hear Brad Meldau's version of "Black Hole Sun"? It will surprise you.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm a big Norman Brown fan, love this track, my fav Norman Brown album "Just Chillin"

User Info Menu

Nice to see some Norman Brown love here ! I discovered him accidently, after downloading an mp3 mistakenly labeled "George Benson - Just Between Us" on the defunct Kazaa P2P program. I immediately bought his first album, that was in the year 2000 and I still think it is his best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    ...Whenever I do hear "smooth jazz" I'm often left thinking that if they replaced the rhythm section with an upright bass, less aggressive drums and ditched the synths, you'd really have some fine music.
    Or if they replaced it with some more agressive backing overall, it could be something not so fine, but more rock'n'roll.
    They should step out of '80s already and that LA/ Miami Cocaine vibe. Even visually. If HM got rid of spandex thights and sprayed haircuts, why won't smooth jazzers got rid of golden braceletes, chains and unbuttoned shirts.

BTW, what do you think of bands like Incognito and alike, or Jamiroquai, for that matter?
    Is the line btw Smooth Jazz and Disco too thin? Not that there's anything wrong with Disco.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    BTW, what do you think of bands like Incognito and alike, or Jamiroquai, for that matter?
    Is the line btw Smooth Jazz and Disco too thin? Not that there's anything wrong with Disco.
    It is not smooth jazz, it's acid jazz which is quite different. I don't see any resemblance between smooth jazz and disco, but I do see one between acid jazz and disco.

I like incognito and I've been a big fan of jamiroquai since my teenage years, but I only listen to the first 3 albums. After that they did some good things but overall they lost the initial vibe that made me like them in the first place.

Here's some of the recent stuff from them that I dig :