The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anybody dig Djavan and Michael Franks?

Yeah I remember listening to Michael Franks back in the 80's. That's the first time I'd heard a singer songwriter do that style.
    In between listening to Mahavishnu, Return To Forever, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson and a few others I have forgotten, somehow Michael Franks would appear and sing something about "Eggplants".
    I remember liking those album a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I grew up in the 70's Chuck Mangionne, Spyra Gyra,Blood Swat and Tears all super accesible music with a lot of jazz ingredients...goood stuff!!!!

User Info Menu

Yes to Spyro Gyro and Eric Gale. Though I also listened to Return to Forever, ELP, and King Crimson, I in no way considered them smooth jazz any more than Blood Sweat and Tears or Chicago, for that matter.
    Last edited by zigzag; 08-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    I grew up in the 70's Chuck Mangionne, Spyra Gyra,Blood Swat and Tears all super accesible music with a lot of jazz ingredients...goood stuff!!!!
    I can still sing every note of Grant Geissman's solo from Feels So Good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anybody dig Djavan and Michael Franks?

I love Djavan. I learned Fleur de Lis!

User Info Menu

Here is a YT link to a JAVA jazz festival performance by Lee Ritenour, David Grusin and their bass and drum players who are excellent musicians. Amazing to see Gruisin at 71 and Ritenour in his early sixties playing so well. The set suffers from an audio point of view with the piano too buried in the mix but the musicianship is there to hear.

Sometimes people diss smooth jazz players, but guys like Grusin and Ritenour can hang with anyone.

Last edited by targuit; 08-21-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Sweet smooth jazz for candle light...

User Info Menu

Just remember, too much sugar will rot your teeth...

User Info Menu

Earl Klugh in company with some fine musicians at this Jarkata Jazz Festival. Nice playing.

Great Videos, Guys! Thank you.

User Info Menu

Here's my best smooth jazz tune with my trio The NOLA Blackout Trio...live in Bansko Bulgaria...I hope you enjoy!!!!

User Info Menu

Smoooooth! Enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Hey y'all
    here is another "smooth" tune i play with my group The New Orleans blackout Trio...I hope you enjoy it.

User Info Menu

^^^^
    Very cool. Great playing all around. Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

Thank you for taking the time to check it out Colin!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for this listing. I have just recently got into A Ray Fuller. Does anyone have any more info on this artist? I have done a quick search on the internet, and very little info comes up on him. Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin63

User Info Menu

Road Song for wes montgomery { Pat Martino_Russel…:

Here you see a great Solo from Chuck Loeb. In fact all the Solos are at least excellent.

I am surprised by how Talented some of the smooth Jazz Guys really are.

Norman Brown - I love this guy when he really stretches out - also heard a great Solo Guitar arrangement he plays of
    "Human Nature"- the Michael Jackson Song

I am working on some "Urban Jazz" which is like "Smooth Jazz" with much stronger grooves the Rhythm Guitar will be much more prominent and interlaced with the bass and drums ..and it may not even be perceived as " Jazz".

It will be " Unsmooth Jazz" with strong R&B Grooves including contemporary R&B ...
    and no restrictions on Solos heavy Steely Dan influence but more aggressive Rhythmically...

If it works really well- a LOT of "smooth Jazz" Players will become "less smooth"
    because they definitely have the ability-.

I predict Norman Brown at some point to do a full on "Raw Jazz " Album...he is just too good to contain...and I love how ..like Benson there is a lot of R&B feel in his Jazz.

What I don't like about "Smooth Jazz" is

"Tooooo Smoooth".

Norman Brown stretching out ..a bit.

Norman Brown- Let's Take a Ride Live 8/23/15:
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Eddy B.
    Nice Tones and Chord Voicings and like how you Guys picked up the Rhythm on the Solo.

I want to hear the Verse Theme "Rhythmatized " too lol.
    But that's probably not how he wrote it.

Nice Group and Playing and love your warm round(!) Strat Tones.

In New Orleans are you Guys called Contemporary Jazz or ?
    Just curious.

How about a Cover of Eric Johnson's 'I Remember Wes' ?

Or even more adventurous a Jazzier version of a Hendrix Tune like ..

"Up from the Skies" ( no wah wah ).
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-06-2016 at 02:36 PM.