The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hey does anyone on this forum listen to any Mathcore music? If you don't know what It is than I will explain. Mathcore is a style of music which is a combination of Mathrock and metalcore or Deathcore or death metal. It often has very technical musicianship, odd time signatures, Rhythmically complex and is often influenced by Jazz Music. Most mathcore bands tend to sound alot different from eachother, some bands have lots of melodys and beautiful music parts while other bands aim to be as noisy and spazzy as possible. Anyway I hope that kind of got the point across.

Some of my favorites include:
    The Number twelve looks like you
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    PsyOpus(Listen if you want to hear some of the craziest guitar)
    As the sun sets
    Curl up and Die
    Ed Gein
    Daughters

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i read a lot of things about the dillinger escape plan, most of it was good. then one day, i went on youtube and looked for a song to see what they were about...

ARGH! that describes my reaction... they might have their audience and that's fine but, personally, i think that's one of the worst things i've heard in my life. maybe it was the song or something but if there's an actual hell, i think i heard a preview of the soundtrack.

i'm not saying they're bad, just that it's not what i like. i know one of the guitarists went to berklee or something, but i don't like how they express themselves. maybe the other bands you listed are better for me...

ps: mudvayne used to say, don't know if they still say it, that they were "math metal" and i liked them, so i don't really have a problem with the odd time signatures, it's the amount of noise the dillinger guys make that is my problem.

Ima hafta agree with Gabe2099 on this one...
    one of my friends is really pushing the number 12 on me, but I'm just not getting it...

Slint is the only good math-core/math-rock band ive ever heard. they are a lot less screamy and harsh then some of the others mentioned here. check out their album Spiderland, its an album that will be remembered as an all time classic.

User Info Menu

thanks kyle, you've induced me to listen to music I wouldn't normally listen to - always a valuable experience. To me, music is a form of interpersonal communication so some songs will always get through to some people more than others. I could actually see myself getting a couple of PsyOpus tracks but I thought the Dillingers more bland than anything. Curl up and Die: I've already lived through the Pistols and the Ramones, why would I waste 2 minutes listening to some derivative Z-grade knock-off?

PS: I notice you live in Florida so if you are a member or friend of Curl up and die, please don't take my comments personally.

User Info Menu

me no like...but I don't like budwieser either...or coors...or jack daniels...

we are all different and have different likes/dislikes...It would be boring if we only had one style of music to listen to or play...to each his own...

Becks...Johnny Walker...are my tastes....

time on the instrument..pierre...

User Info Menu

No music ending in core is really my taste.

User Info Menu

I thought we'd already had enough teenyangst music last century...ya know, there are people who have done this before (a few times), and done it better.

User Info Menu

I'm not into it, but I have a friend with eccentric tastes in music who listens to a lot of the bands you listed. He usually forces anybody around him to listen to whatever is on his iPod that week, so it's not like I don't listen to the music he's touting about. Still, at least 90% of the time I can tell whether or not the band is going to suck in advance based solely on his description of it. It usually goes something like this:

"Oh man, I just discovered the craziet band. Okay, get this: it's a jazz drummer, a funk bassist, a Neoclassical prog metal guitarist, and a Chinese techno keyboardist! Doesn't that blow your frigging mind?"

Well, if you're into a mishmash of many styles of electric music, maybe that would appeal to you. But if you stop for a second to consider WHY these players are all stuck together in the same band, you invariably have to conclude: they couldn't find anybody in their respective genres who would give them the time of day, let alone cut an album with them

User Info Menu

Math-core? I hate to be a wise-ass, but seriously: do they sit around solving differential equations and then using the solutions as their time signatures or to set the volumes at which they will blast people''s eardrums something. I doubt there is really very much to do with serious mathematics in Mathcore.

Yes, on the other hand, I'm an old fogie in many respects, and not even that old.

User Info Menu

Seems to me that Webern, Berg, and Schoenberg et al. have a corner on the math thing...I suggest that Ed Gein and company try playing some of that literature at the next bar gig. Glenn Branca, Rhys Chatham, Elliot Sharp and zillions of other people did all that using everything from the Fibonacci ratio to the periodic table in the 70'/80's in a 'rock' format. Snore...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    No music ending in core is really my taste.
    i don't have a problem with "core"--it's the "math." i never was any good at math.

User Info Menu

Xenakis is a good exemple of Math Music.
    He was taking for exemple a Log Formula, and composed a tune based on that. He was loooking at the curve of the log formula, and made violins go to diffrent notes looking at that.

Not very fun to hear though... But you know its fun to experiment with those things!

User Info Menu

I liked the PsyOpus song I heard, minus the singer. I can't stand screeching singers like that. Music is kind of crazy though. Would be hard to listen to a lot probably for me.

User Info Menu

Seems to me that Webern, Berg, and Schoenberg et al. have a corner on the math thing.

Mediocre as mathematicians (speaking as someone with a significant, formal background in the area) and frighteningly sterile and programmatic as musicians (speaking as a human being and musician)

User Info Menu

what is mathrock? i never heard of that term before

User Info Menu

Math rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just looked it up myself. Mathcore, Post-rock, mathrock, Shoegaze, Purple Haze, Small Maze...What the.....? I just realized how far and how long out of touch with "popular" or alternative music I have been over the last 15 years or so. I once heard a death metal tune and thought the world was truly and finally coming to an end at THAT point (about 10 years ago, I guess? ).

User Info Menu

I once heard some "Techno" music on CSI or something a few years ago. I started packing up all of my belongings and gathering everything in the basement for the End Times. (;

Alright, enough....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by franco6719
    Seems to me that Webern, Berg, and Schoenberg et al. have a corner on the math thing.

Mediocre as mathematicians (speaking as someone with a significant, formal background in the area) and frighteningly sterile and programmatic as musicians (speaking as a human being and musician)
    Well, yes, a retrograde inversion is hardly nontrivial...and the music hasn't stood up. Nor has Babbitt or Xenakis or any of that 50's/60's 'geewhiz' composition...

User Info Menu

I'm more a fan of the Spastic Ink, Tocik, Watchtower school... Not quite math core but, Tech-thrash is... close-ish?

User Info Menu

It sometimes seems that Bach was already doing more interesting stuff from the mathematical view....and making lovely music at the same time (sometimes improvised!!).

My real point was just that I think that at a certain point the thing became nothing but mathematical games at the expense of music and you could hear it and feel it. This is why it has mostly faded: sterile, dry, academicism. At that point, they might as well have stopped composing and just moved on to algorithmic complexity theory or sat around trying to refute the incompleteness theorems or something.