The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Personally I think the guy is a killer player....
    Was just wondering.....

Last edited by Captain Caravelle; 05-13-2013 at 11:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked the clip. I also think that Brian Setzer is a monster player. I like him best when he is going towards his jazzier sideand I also like the old Stray Cats material. There is other more country oriented stuff he does that doesn't it for me. E.g. The more recent "Setzer goes Instru-Mental" I largely didn't like at all.

User Info Menu

Big and fat Yay!!!
    Without him I wouldn't even have started with Jazz-guitar. Still love his playing, and listen to him a lot!

User Info Menu

Yay!

I've got first 2 Stray Cats albums on vinyl, then I grew up.

On the 2nd one, Gonna Ball, there's a note that made me believe I could record something one day:
    "Only the cheapest most inferior instruments went into the making of this album."

For that matter, it did sound much worse than the 1st one, in regard to fidelity, but may be pressing plant messed it up.

User Info Menu

Love it. Great player and makes jazz fun/exciting/emotional to listen to (which is what I always thought was the point of music).

User Info Menu

Love 'em the bluesier the jazz the more I dig it...he's the type of player that brings guys to jazz guitar. Big ups for Brian Setzer!!!!

User Info Menu

I loved the Stray Cats (-I learned "Stray Cat Strut" and still play it sometimes) and have heard some of his solo work. I love his playing and that whole swing / rockabilly vibe.

User Info Menu

He actually reminds me a bit of Rik Emmett - you Canadian you:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    you Canadian you:
    Guilty as charged.
    Rik is a great player.

User Info Menu

Yay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    He actually reminds me a bit of Rik Emmett - you Canadian you:
    He played with Triumph, right? Man, I remember his columns in "Guitar Player."

User Info Menu

I remember being a teenager when I first heard of Brian Setzer. This was during the "swing band revival" of the late 90s and what he was doing just blew me away. Still really enjoy his playing, such fun, positive emotion.

User Info Menu

yay

User Info Menu

Never much doubt who it is when you hear one of his tunes. I love that originality when it is backed up with technique, knowledge and just plain ol' havin' good fun!

User Info Menu

Yay

I respect that he's created an audience large enough to support touring with a big band. Not many working big bands anymore and you know he's got a huge love for carrying on the tradition. There's nothing quite like playing guitar with 13 horn players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    He played with Triumph, right? Man, I remember his columns in "Guitar Player."
    Indeed he did. He was one of my favs growing up in my long hair days.

User Info Menu

Definite YAY!

User Info Menu

I've seen him live with both the big band and a trio and he delivers in every way. Great musician, great entertainer. If you get a chance to see him, don't miss it! It's fun!

User Info Menu

I saw him just once with his big band orchestra. Fun show but it was in a huge stadium. I'd love the see him in a club. His music just seems made for a small sweaty club.

User Info Menu

I caught Setzer once for free in downtown Albany, NY many years ago. Great player. I remember hearing how when he was in town he stopped by Lark St Music (a great vintage guitar shop which has long since moved out of Albany.) Some local cats got to meet him, I think they might have got a beer with him in fact.

Jazz-abilly?

User Info Menu

He's great... the big band Jump stuff is big fun!

User Info Menu

runaway boys

great solo , great sound

User Info Menu

Yay! Yay! Was back in 1981 and still is

User Info Menu

I like Brian's energy most. Great show!

User Info Menu

He's a great player and one of my favourites although I don't try to play his style. I'm so lucky to have been at the gig where they recorded the DVD Stray Cats in Brixton.
    Legend!

Try finding his tune "Beautiful Blues" where he does a great jazz solo with some tasty phrases.

edit I just looked on YT and can only find a live version but it's cool...