The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    I appreciate your thoughtful response, Harry.

A quick update. I read through Larry Fines book, a very helpful guide. Combined with his website and online database that covers pricing, it has been a very valuable resource for me. I have visited a number of piano show rooms that carry digital and acoustic pianos. I have learned a lot in the last month. I haven't purchased a piano yet, but I am getting closer.

I also purchased a number of the piano books mentioned earlier in the thread and have looked over/read through a few of them. The Mark Levine books are especially clearly written and will be a great resource.

I haven't started to look for a teacher, but will begin that process soon.

Thanks again, everyone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting discussion! I am a self-taught pianist over many years, and I tend to agree with most everything voiced here about the benefits of learning to play piano. I do regret never taking any formal lessons as a kid, but I'm not looking to go to Julliard in this lifetime. My classical guitar training was helpful, but for many of us not aspiring to play Beethoven, there are other avenues to pursue. Just learning chords is a good start, especially if you are very proficient on the guitar.

One fine teacher I wanted to point to as regards jazz piano. Doug McKenzie, a retired Australian professor of jazz piano, has an extensive channel on YouTube as jazz2511, though searching for "doug mckenzie" on the YT search function will also turn him up. I purchased one of DVDs which are essentially mp3 recordings of jazz standards. Doug improvises his performances of the songs off of leadsheets as he videotapes his performance to show his keyboard and hands. In addition, he uses the notation capabilities of Band in a Box to create notation of his improv, over which he makes notes in retrospect on what he was doing technically, incorporating comments on technique and music theory. There is more, but you should check him out. This is not for the beginner really, but the transcriptions alone are useful to the jazz guitarist, especially if you read notation.

I suspect you will be seriously inspired. I'm on a Keith Jarrett kick lately, not his improvisations but more his Trio playing standards.

jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    When at last I got to my "lesson" he said..." this is middle C, everything below it, play with your left hand, above it, use your right". Then he walked away!
    You got lucky. Mine just said, "Open the lid" and did the same

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Interesting discussion! I am a self-taught pianist over many years, and I tend to agree with most everything voiced here about the benefits of learning to play piano. I do regret never taking any formal lessons as a kid, but I'm not looking to go to Julliard in this lifetime. My classical guitar training was helpful, but for many of us not aspiring to play Beethoven, there are other avenues to pursue. Just learning chords is a good start, especially if you are very proficient on the guitar.

One fine teacher I wanted to point to as regards jazz piano. Doug McKenzie, a retired Australian professor of jazz piano, has an extensive channel on YouTube as jazz2511, though searching for "doug mckenzie" on the YT search function will also turn him up. I purchased one of DVDs which are essentially mp3 recordings of jazz standards. Doug improvises his performances of the songs off of leadsheets as he videotapes his performance to show his keyboard and hands. In addition, he uses the notation capabilities of Band in a Box to create notation of his improv, over which he makes notes in retrospect on what he was doing technically, incorporating comments on technique and music theory. There is more, but you should check him out. This is not for the beginner really, but the transcriptions alone are useful to the jazz guitarist, especially if you read notation.

I suspect you will be seriously inspired. I'm on a Keith Jarrett kick lately, not his improvisations but more his Trio playing standards.

jay
    Great suggestion on D. Mac. I've acquired a couple of his DVD's shipped direct from Australia. He's a great resource displaying his approach to the instrument and music by providing a visual template.

It's interesting you mention Beethoven, whose music I'd always been a fan of. My first year in I spent 6 months perfecting his Moonlight Sonata, which when dissected on the written page one finds it's not complex to play, and the pace of this timeless composition allows it to actually be undertaken by a beginner...one measure at a time.

The Keith Jarrett Trio has been one of my inspirations the past 20 years. I've transcribed more KJ recordings than any other. Anyone who seeks out KJ and Bill Evans transcriptions will find many on line. I've several downloaded books from Japanese students filled with KJ and BE transcriptions. Japan has a great many students who love transcribing piano greats. And there's no shortage of piano transcriptions from students world wide.

One of my favorite transcriptions, in my beginning phase, was a note for note composition of KJ's solo interpretation for OTR...from the 'LaScala' album, in 1995 recorded live in Milano, Italy at the famed Teatro alla Scala theater. The performance, recorded as an encore to the concert, is a wonderful learning device as an insight into one of the exceptional pianist's of our time...as he reinterprets a common well known standard through reharmonization, timing, phrasing...making it his. The first time I heard the recording I was blown away by its harmonic richness, sensitivity, emotional content, and the pure joy it imparts upon the attentive listener. This performance, as in many other versions of OTR recorded by KJ, was reportedly improvised 'on the fly'.

As in guitar, there is no shortage of material that one is inspired to study because you're so motivated to master it for the pure joy of playing it...some compositions you're just driven to learn...whatever it takes...you've got to get it under your fingers. This was my second such composition...I spent a full year mastering its timing and phrasing...oh' the life of a beginning adult music student.....there's no shortage of inspiration out there.

There are several versions of this transcribed tune on the 'net, the upper version transcribed by Frederick Grosnick of Germany...the lower one from an unknown transcriber of Japan, albeit easier to read, is not as harmonically accurate to the recording:

Keith Jarrett-Somewhere Over The Rainbow-SheetMusicDownload.pdf

This is one of my few YT uploads:

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-07-2013 at 09:08 PM.

2b,

I would appreciate links to Bill Evans transcriptions you have found useful.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    2b,

I would appreciate links to Bill Evans transcriptions you have found useful.

Thanks.
    Over the years I've accumulated a vast number of transcriptions and out of print Japanese material on pdf. I'll post one here, but these should be email'd directly. I've had these since the late 90's and can't recall the source. Here's a rare one that features his fabulous treatment of Danny Boy.

Bill Evans_Rare Transcriptions 1.pdf
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-08-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I find that when I do guitar transcriptions of songs I'm working with like my current little project - What Are You Doing For the Rest of Your Life by Michel LeGrand and Bergmans lyrics - I turn to Bill Evans to clarify the harmonies. Love his playing.

Another pianist I truly enjoy is George Shearing.

User Info Menu

Juilian Bradley's youtube video's are as good a place to start as any. He gets you playing pro style voicing's immediately. That Kenny Barron voicing is the cat's meow....I wish informative video's on voicings were available when I began. With the plethora of youtube video's what a fabulous time to study any instrument!

Here's Julian's treatment of Herbie's 'Dolphin Dance'