The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hey all,

I was wondering, any of you into fusion??

In the styles, of Quayle, Garsed, Holdsworth.

I practice lately some Tom Quayle lessons I bought a while back, really interesting legato stuff. Trying to incorporating them into my playing, but still struggling.

If so, what players you like? What gear you use?

Thanks,
    Mike

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love fusion! I prefer it over alot of pure traditional jazz/jazz, if that makes any sense. Im a big fan of Quayle and Ive bought his Diminished Harmony package recently and will start working on it this week. Holdsworth is okay-ish for me, I cant stand how his synthar?! sounds though.

I use a Fender Stratocaster (for everything) myself, it works! But I would love to have an archtop, or a suhr. I'm a big fan of Greg Howe's slower stuff as well, his sunny video on youtube is just amazing!

User Info Menu

Hi

I love it too as a "spice up" to my playing. Love the styles of Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale, John Scofield, and Allan Holdsoworth, too. I play classical jazz (big band, bebop), but can spice my solos with fusion licks, which make the original big band and bebop music interesting.

I have an Epiphone Broadway Elite, and an Ibanez AK95 DVS. Through my Ibanez WT80 with a Boss BD-2 pedal for fusion I prefer my Ibanez with SH-AZ 49 pup at the neck. The big boy (epi) is for original big band tunes, and classical jazz.

User Info Menu

Guthrie is a beast, and a really well rounded player to say the least. He went through a huge parker phase when he was younger and played nothing but bop for a long time! Govan's single line playing is perfect for bebop as he usually goes for unusual fingerings like 4 and 5 note perstring scales that really speed up the fluidity of his playing. He definitely snatched some of those ideas from Holdsworth and Shawn lane etc..

Holdsworth is cool, as he's really trying to push the envelop, but for me Gambale and Govan are the most enjoyable to listen to.

Henderson's tone and vibrato work is gorgeous! He's got a cool jazz instructional that was floating around on the net for a while. I find a lot of his bebop/superimposed pentatonic stuff cool but just doesn't sound appealing in the end for me.

I was much more into this stuff 5-6 years ago and haven't checked out Quayle or Garsed much but I've still got a fusion itch every now and then so i'll give them a go!

As for gear I got an ibanez prestige that sounds great through a buddies fender supersonic stack for that fluid overdriven tone

User Info Menu

Yep I love fusion too, play it about as much as I play jazz. Some of my favourite players at the moment would be Richard Hallebeck, Feodor Dosumov, Rick Graham, Greg Howe, Martin Miller, David Maxim Micic, Sergey Golovin, and Tom Quayle.

Tom lives just down the road from me incidentally, so I see him every week. He's such a fun guy to play with.

My main gear is a Kemper Profiling amp and an Ibanez S Series. But I was offered an endorsement by Suhr about 6 months ago, and am eagerly awaiting my custom modern which is set to arrive in April/May. Way too excited about that.

User Info Menu

that's awesome bond, Suhr seems like a great company, Guthrie and Henderson seem to enjoy their products. Your site looks great too.

Looking forward to seeing that axe when it comes!
    Last edited by euterpe; 03-18-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

Yeah they're amazing, can't way to play the thing. Gutherie is actually playing Charvel now, but he did use Suhr for a number of years. Thanks for the feedback on my site, I'll be sure to post up pictures when it arrives!

User Info Menu

Tom Quayle is a top UK Fusion player and his teaching tutorials are good too.

Where does he play live?
    Guy

User Info Menu

He doesn't have a band so he's not gigging at the moment. There's a real shortage of fusion musicians in England!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bondmorkret
    He doesn't have a band so he's not gigging at the moment. There's a real shortage of fusion musicians in England!

Is this you Mr Bond?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Is this you Mr Bond?
    Yes, many a moon ago!

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    Reviving this old thread as I love Fusion myself.
    Jessesmit, how did you find Quayle's diminished package? I though about getting it but don't know what to expect.
    Are there any more online lessons or DVDs that came out in recent years teaching Fusion?
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Love composing and playing fusion.

Here's a link to my latest work.

https://scottjonesmusic.bandcamp.com/album/remember
    Last edited by Scott Jones; 04-15-2016 at 09:16 PM.

User Info Menu

scott jones...a tip of the hat to you (and your superhero daughter!)

very nice playing sir..(dame hot is what it is)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    scott jones...a tip of the hat to you (and your superhero daughter!)

very nice playing sir..(dame hot is what it is)
    Thanks man!

User Info Menu

I am in the studio recording a fusion album just moved into the production phase. it will probably take at least a year .. Steve Mores , I consider Santana a fusion player. Stanly Clark and MIB have had the biggest influence on my style. but right now I do a lot of listing to sax players trying to get my guitar licks sounding like sax licks. I play a schector diamond series c-1 platinum with a floyed and emg pickups .. a 4 string cort bass . a double neck bass/guitar , a 7 string bass. 4 string acoustic bass with a thumb piano on it. and a Conklin 4 string bass designed with 26 frets