The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49
    I am So pleased all the great guitarists and singers your hooking me up to. I have checked some out and am feeling VERY inspired Sorry I haven't thanked you sooner, I have been having trouble finding ways to renew my Internet security (not technical minded. Techno PHOBIC!)---But I am really glad for the links thankyou

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Badi Assad excellent guitarist, writer, singer. Got to see her and a percussionist play once it was fantastic.

User Info Menu

flora purim used to play (maybe still does):

User Info Menu

huh? since when does flora purim play guitar, lol? i had no idea! "sandalia dela" is such a cute song—i love the version she did with duke pearson. (on that version, durval ferreira's on guitar, if i remember correctly.)

by the way, love jack dejohnette's afro!

vinícius cantuária and paulinho garcía are my favorite singers from brazil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Portugese does kick ass...got all the nice sounds of Spanish with that "zh" sound common in French. One of the most musical sounding languages I can think of...
    brazilian portuguese is definitely all that you described. but have you heard portuguese portuguese? to my ears, it's almost ugly in comparison in terms of sound and inflection.

Yamandu Costa! For choro etc..
    Nelson Veras is originally from Brazil and is totally unique.....

User Info Menu

Tom Ze, breaking it down...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Portugese does kick ass...got all the nice sounds of Spanish with that "zh" sound common in French. One of the most musical sounding languages I can think of...
    Quote Originally Posted by elixzer
    Oh yeah, same here!! it is VERY sensual and rhythmic . In fact I am so gone on it that if I get half good playing the music I may learn the language proper. I already have sung it blind so to speak, because I have sung with the lyrics of this amazing Brazilian singer/musician who I love

Thanks elixzer. This is an absolutely kickin' piece of music imo (even if it is off topic for this thread).

User Info Menu

It's a pleasure see the music from my country is admired for all you!!!

I will post some y2b videos later, but there are amazing examples here.

It's sad that Brazilians usually don't like these guys, besides one or another that are on focus of the media.

User Info Menu

A bit off topic perhaps, but they made an album together, Native Dancer, which has one of my favorites, Ponte de Areia:

A bit off topic perhaps, but they made an album together, Native Dancer, which has one of my favorites, Ponte de Areia

Milton is one of the greats I've ever listened to in my opinion... Here's a very good piece played by him with the giant Hélio Delmiro (Brazilian jazz guitar player) fingerpicking. Must see:

User Info Menu

Finaly I find that brazilian are better musicians than football players
    30 years ago I had this record and like it very much:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Finaly I find that brazilian are better musicians than football players
    I wish this be true.
    At least 5% percent of the money and efforts that are spend for soccer on the music...

Here is a trio that play a very traditional Jazz...

Michel Leme trio

Mateus Starling Band

These are more "Brazilian" thing...

Pepeu Gomes and Moraes Moreira

Hélio Delmirio

"Thanks, but can I remind people here that the purpose of this thread was for me to SEE& HEAR Brazilian guitarists who sing while they play guitar so I can see how they do it for my own learning and inspiration."

Let me recommend a Brasilian music/tab site that includes a lot of links to videos that (sometimes) provide that view of the guitar playing, together with the music (so you know what it's supposed to sound like) - Cifra Club - seu site de cifras e tablaturas

For example, here are Toquinho (guitar) and Vinícius de Moraes (who co-wrote this song dedicated to Tom Jobim), with tablature and chords and a video link to "Carta Ao Tom 74" (Letter to Tom 74)

Cifra Club | CARTA AO TOM 74 - Toquinho

Scot

Quite a while since I have visited this great forum because I have been busy with other things, but was inspired to come and how DELIGHTED when I came to see this thread alive )))) PLEASE keep it going

I am buzzing because for first time I feel alive with guitar playing and singing.

'Only' really two songs am I really mostly expploring as such and as we know we are ALWAYS learning. There is no 'that's it'.

Well the two songs are Insensatez (which is one I have been exploring for quite a while now, and NEVER get sick of) and latest one I am feeling way into is Girl from Ipanema (though I say 'boy' cause I am gay lol). These songs mean so much to me in my life, and I think this is VERY important to do. Find songs and melodies that mean a lot to your soul

When I am singing Insensatez now I am being able to really let loose improvising my vocals over the chord sequence of the movement. It is w o n d e r f u l feeling~~~

User Info Menu

Some singers and guitar players that were not yet listed.

Geraldo Azevedo

Lenine

Chico César

I absolutely love that melody and song Alma não tem cor and artist Chico César (who I had never seen or heard before). I would really like to learn the chord sequence and words? I could get very happily lost in that rhythm and song...

WOW, I just checked out another video of him. Would love to meet this guy. See how he includes the sound of his loose guitar strings into the music. I also do this with the "buzzing" of my guitar. I have been 'told off' from some, even from a 'wild dude' I used to session with about not allowing my guitar to buzz, lol. But I ALLOW it

User Info Menu

Here another version with chords and lyrics...the chords are much easier than Chico César's version.

http://www.cifraclub.com.br/zeca-bal...a-nao-tem-cor/

This song is from a group called Karnak and the writer is Andre Abujamra.

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    I started a new project to teach Brazilian guitar for English speakers. I'd like to know your opinion about it.
    You can watch a video presentation on the website Learning Brazilian Guitar or in my YouTube channel Renato Candro - YouTube.

Thanks,
    Renato.
    Last edited by rcandro; 10-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcandro
    Hi there,
    I started a new project to teach Brazilian guitar for English speakers. I'd like to know your opinion about it.
    You can watch a video presentation on the website Learning Brazilian Guitar or in my YouTube channel Renato Candro - YouTube.

Thanks,
    Renato.
    HI Renato,

I have just received this and it sounds GREAT. I am not going to check it out and I am very excited to!

# just had quick look at first of your intro on your YT channel

I will tell you where I am at and what I am after

OK, Things clicked for me regarding at last feel I could play and known sequence of chords and sing over them when I first wrote down chrods painstakingly from a person on YouTube who showed hands playing Insensatez, a VERY favourite tune and song of mine. So I have been experimenting with that for ages

Next I learned chords for song Garota de Ipanema Which I also DEEPLY love, and I learnt that finding songs and tunes you REALLY love is extremely important to ENJOY playing guitar. Fuck practice and all that. You need to find songs and tunes you love and then you are INTO it. So I would give advice like this to any aspiring guitarist IF they are doing it for the love of it

So what I meed is that. To LOOK at a video and find chord grips, and also fingerstyle and rhythm ideas for the tunes, whilst for a singer. i LOVE singing over the chords and rhythms. IE, yes I know it is important to be able to improvise --eg just playing -- in the break of a song. But for now I am happy with what I am doing. I do most of my improvisation with my voice over chords and different rhythms
    Last edited by elixzer; 10-09-2014 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elixzer
    HI Renato,

I have just received this and it sounds GREAT. I am not going to check it out and I am very excited to!

# just had quick look at first of your intro on your YT channel

I will tell you where I am at and what I am after

OK, Things clicked for me regarding at last feel I could play and known sequence of chords and sing over them when I first wrote down chrods painstakingly from a person on YouTube who showed hands playing Insensatez, a VERY favourite tune and song of mine. So I have been experimenting with that for ages

Next I learned chords for song Garota de Ipanema Which I also DEEPLY love, and I learnt that finding songs and tunes you REALLY love is extremely important to ENJOY playing guitar. Fuck practice and all that. You need to find songs and tunes you love and then you are INTO it. So I would give advice like this to any aspiring guitarist IF they are doing it for the love of it

So what I meed is that. To LOOK at a video and find chord grips, and also fingerstyle and rhythm ideas for the tunes, whilst for a singer. i LOVE singing over the chords and rhythms. IE, yes I know it is important to be able to improvise --eg just playing -- in the break of a song. But for now I am happy with what I am doing. I do most of my improvisation with my voice over chords and different rhythms
    Hi Elixzer,
    I'm glad you liked it and I understand your point of view in your reply, but I'd like to make some comments.

It's only my opinion, okay?

On one hand I agree that it's more enjoyable and exciting someone learn those songs he loves because he will not get bored practicing them as much as he can, on the other hand, as a teacher, I can't recommend only the songs that students love. When you are teaching you have two commitments, give students what they want and also give them what you think they need to improve their skills (the harder decision to make, I think). We have to think about the present and future, because if I'm paid to teach I am responsible for the results as far as the student. It cannot be an one-sided decision. What I often tell my students is that is important learn to love the learning process too.

About practice, and I'm being honest, I'm glad you can learn only by watching videos but unfortunately not everyone can do it. You are part of a lucky minority. I have been teaching acoustic guitar since 1991 and what more I have seen is that in most cases people can learn up to a certain degree and are not able to go ahead. So, everything depends on how the student faces the technical exercises, only as boring exercises or as a path to go ahead. Furthermore we cannot forget that when someone are trying to play the song he loves over and over again he is also practicing.

So, I think there is not a single way to learn or teach. Each one has to choose your own way and all of them are valid.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Time to chime in with some missing names few might know in here

naldo caiolli (he taught me a lot about bossa nova) :

marcio faraco :

beto caletti : I like this version a lot:

And by the way, even if a bit off topic, the insensatez arrangement I prefer is the one sung by Sting and Jobim (also on the piano), recorded a few months before Jobim died. So sensual, so expressive, a tribute to Jobim for me: