The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 117 of 117

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    You just revived a thread that was from 8 to 12 years ago!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeantheconqueror
    You just revived a thread that was from 8 to 12 years ago!
    It seems to be the new cool thing to do!! All the newbs do it. Everything from the past couple years must be that lame.

User Info Menu

It seems to be the new cool thing to do!! All the newbs do it. Everything from the past couple years must be that lame.
    Still, it’s a fascinating thread.

I have mixed feelings about shred. I began playing in ‘84, a couple of years after I had started listening heavily to jazz (thanks to Dad’s record collection: in particular, Brubeck’s “Countdown: Time In Outer Space”; Wes’ “A Day In The Life”; Coltrane’s “Giant Steps”; and the first “Poll Winners” LP). Simultaneously, I got into Prog rock (Yes, Renaissance, Genesis, ELP). From there, it was natural to get into fusion (Brand X, Di Meola, Mahavishnu, Holdsworth). But that was right around the time post-Van Halen shred picked up steam.

The rock/neoclassical Metal shred thing was something I observed and read about (seemed like every other issue of Guitar Player, and, especially, Guitar World had such as Vai or Malmsteen featured), but never wanted to emulate. I generally didn’t like the guitar tone, and it seemed rhythmically stiff. I actually appreciate it more now than I did at the time. I mean, I LIKE playing fast; I like hearing it. But I would rather hear the likes of Pat Martino or Jimmy Bryant than, say, Yngwie Malmsteen. That said, I do like some of the early Rising Force stuff like “Far Beyond The Sun” and “Black Star”.

User Info Menu

Shred guitar is pretty cool. It's more like an athletic event.

I can dig it to an extent.

Full of testosterone. Notice it appeals mainly to young men.

Becomes metronomic if overdone.

Bebop is the shred of jazz.

User Info Menu

tbf they’re not wrong

User Info Menu

I like Paul Gilbert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like Paul Gilbert
    Me too.

He actually has released quite a few albums full of great power pop tunes that happen to have absolutely face melting guitar solos embedded in them.

This one wins extra points for being kinda non-PC.

User Info Menu

I always dug Ronni Le Tekrø.

User Info Menu

Well, it's not a 100% shred, but he keeps blowing me away everytime I hear him.

Ladies and Gentleman, Dave motherf**kin' Simpson.

User Info Menu

I've always felt Yngwie is the best ever, the comedy element being an added bonus..

User Info Menu

Yngwie will never be any good because he anchors his picking hand.
    You can't be fast if you do that.
    Note the scalloped fretboard on his strat. Another mistake by him.

The Yngwie clip reminds me of that story about Samuel Johnson:

Dr. Johnson was observed by a musical friend of his to be extremely inattentive at a concert, whilst a celebrated solo player was running up the divisions and subdivisions of notes upon his violin. His friend, to induce him to take greater notice of what was going on, told him how extremely difficult it was. "Difficult do you call it, Sir?" replied the Doctor; "I wish it were impossible."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like Paul Gilbert
    His early stuff with Racer X was killer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    I always dug Ronni Le Tekrø.

His early stuff, TNT Knights of the new thunder, tell no tales era, awesome stuff, highly original, and underrated!

User Info Menu

That Paul Gilbert amateurs. XD LOL!

Thank me later ....

PS. you need to watch this video full before you die. XD

Again, thank me later. XD

User Info Menu

My favorite shredders -- Satriani and EJ: